IGNORED

Burns

Nomad

I wasn't overly impressed by his performance.  He needs game time and I'm glad he's getting it.  It'll take time for him to learn when to make runs behind his full back.  There were times tonight when he could have stretched play and he chose to come short, slowing down our play, that can be worked on during training. 

1 minute ago, howey_ducky said:

I wasn't overly impressed by his performance.  He needs game time and I'm glad he's getting it.  It'll take time for him to learn when to make runs behind his full back.  There were times tonight when he could have stretched play and he chose to come short, slowing down our play, that can be worked on during training. 

There is a bloke who sits near the bench, scruffy looking, who he could have a word with. Think he use to be half decent at that! 

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Think tonight was a bit of a mix night for Wes. One minute skinning a man and the next running the ball out of play.

Think it's all going to click the more games he plays. Terrible miss in the first half but the chance he took against Boro on the weekend was much more important.

Pretty much this for me. Every striker misses chances. The art is putting yourself constantly in positions were you get them. We have learned some stuff tonight about our squad, in a game that ultimately did not matter this season. Players have learned sone stuff. Two decent chances for Burns one goal, and as you say, which one would we chose to go in? 

Didn't have a great angle on his chance from the Dolman, but thought he was decent. 

He's such a threat down that right side. Every time tonight and against Boro that he got his head down and went for the line he either put in a cracking cross or won a corner. 

Exactly as ducky says above, there were plenty of times he should have gone at the defender and decided to cut back. I'm all for mixing it up to keep them guessing but we had so much success on Saturday from him going for it. 

A number of times Wes could've played an early cross in but declined. 

A a mixed night for him but I do like his attitude and willing. 

Wes isn't the only culprit but I do wonder where the art of the first time cross has gone? 

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

A number of times Wes could've played an early cross in but declined. 

A a mixed night for him but I do like his attitude and willing. 

Wes isn't the only culprit but I do wonder where the art of the first time cross has gone? 

Savage commented that City wide players were "taking too many touches" and "what happened to the first time cross?"

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Savage commented that City wide players were "taking too many touches" and "what happened to the first time cross?"

Oh dear, I'm gonna quit now if Savage agrees with me, ha ha. 

Seriously though, it's not just tonight, it's been bugging me all year. We always take a touch and then try to beat the defender. Swing the ****in' ball in first time lads!! 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Oh dear, I'm gonna quit now if Savage agrees with me, ha ha. 

Seriously though, it's not just tonight, it's been bugging me all year. We always take a touch and then try to beat the defender. Swing the ****in' ball in first time lads!! 

The reason we always take a touch is so that Wilbs has time to get into the box! ;)

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The reason we always take a touch is so that Wilbs has time to get into the box! ;)

Wilbs was bloody awful tonight, looked completely out of his depth. 

Im amazed he started the game - unless of corse he's not in the starting 11 on Saturday.

Brunt going off injured did West Brom a favour as Wes had the beating of him, the lad who came on coped much better.

A mixed bag tonight, some very good bits but let down by poor decision making, and if he has ambitions of playing up front long term then he's got to start burying chances like the one he missed.

There's definitely the makings of a good player in there, he needs to be given the opportunities to show whether he's good enough though. Should be on the bench as a minimum every game.

30 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Definitely has potential and needs minutes as others say.

He's OOC in the summer and I have a feeling we may regret it if we can't get him to sign an extension...

I think we've got a year extension option (same with Bobby) if they meet the required games.  Guessing that depends on us wanting to and meeting the agreed terms specified at the time of signing.

Anyone who has played a bit of football will have taken a touch to steady the ball before crossing, shooting etc, when it would've been better to hit it first time. We do this to lessen the chances of us sky-ing the ball into a hedge/ditch/car park/across a road/over a fence/into a garden/into a building site/into another field with cows in it, etc. In essence, to try to spare ourselves embarrassment and other players thinking we are shite.

I reckon it's the last one (not the ball-into-a-hedge etc) for pros. Who wants to shin it first time out for a goal-kick in front of 15,000 when you can take a touch, then pass it backwards?

I reckon confidence is key to this

Wasn't overly impressed, scared to whip a cross in (which I don't understand because the 2 crosses he made were great). Gets the ball stuck under his feet way to often. Don't blame him for the unsuccessful runs etc, that'll come with game time.

2 minutes ago, Griffin said:

Wasn't overly impressed, scared to whip a cross in (which I don't understand because the 2 crosses he made were great). 

He could learn how to whip in a cross by trying to imitate Joe Bryan.  He's great at it. Seriously reminds me of David Beckham. Now if Bryan could develop Beckhams free kick skills he'd become some player coveted by several bigger clubs.

I thought he played really well.  Also, think people are being harsh when they talk about his miss.  Foster did everything right to narrow down the angle.

We must extend his contract.  He will be a top player in a good team.  I've even been impressed by his tracking back and defending which has come on leagues.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He could learn how to whip in a cross by trying to imitate Joe Bryan.  He's great at it. Seriously reminds me of David Beckham. Now if Bryan could develop Beckhams free kick skills he'd become some player coveted by several bigger clubs.

Sadly, Joe has been equally as guilty of too many touches or poor crossing this season too. 

Showing great patches, just needs game time to try and become consistent, however also need to be careful about not burning him out given he won't be used to the amount of football. Wes rotating with Wagstaff on the right could be decent.

Archived