IGNORED

Atmosphere

Lack of Action Man

I have an ST in the Dolman and despise it. So went in the Atyeo tonight with a few mates and we all contributed as much as possible to the atmosphere. Got to say I'm surprised at the plaudits for West Brom's support though, only heard them a couple of times.

If tonight I couldnt get in the Atyeo I wouldn't have bothered. Same goes for next season, need to get in with the singing lot wherever the club puts them as I find the Dolman embarrassing to be in. Shame as it used to be a vocal stand particularly in the Johnson era. Now it epitomises the modern football fan.

Thought the atmosphere from the Atyeo started ok.  The game flattened after 20 minutes and the atmosphere reflected that.  Even our final push only reached 60% on my rating scale.  We were found very short although you couldn't fault us for effort.

Came away thinking 'what if' re the Burns chance, goals change games of course.  Ayling's introduction to the fold represented our only upturn in impetus.  Despite only playing 15 minutes he'd have had my mom.  Love that guy.

Overall, we basically lacked the quality an inventiveness to break down the organised Baggies setup.  Our midfield had very limited solutions.  Pack did his job welI though, I thought.  

Tie was lost through our lack of know how in seeing out the first game.

Let's hope Gladwin will add the creative quality that we're badly in need of.

I was sat in W18 (the block with the restricted views where the South Stand meets the Williams). I'm usually in Dolman F. (Sorry, E29) West Brom did sound loud, just as we did up there so that should be expected even though obviously there were less of them. The Atyeo who I can't usually hear sounded good when they made noise, also the flag waving was very visual and I can't usually see this either. From where I was the South Stand couldn't be heard at all, I can usually hear them from the Dolman. The Dolman was a muffled mumble, and in there it can be quite loud when it wants.

Just making a point that it really matters where you sit and what you can hear. But as others have said, cold night and no real spark to get things going. I'm sure if ManU etc had been at stake the atmosphere would have been raised though which is a shame.

14 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

20 minutes after the kick off some people were discovering that they were sat in the wrong seat of the wrong row, probably in the wrong stand. It's amazing that they managed to turn up at the right ground on the right night.

Some tickets probably said "Huish Park"

And another thing (though not really belonging to this thread but its not worth starting another ...)

Thanks to the new programming introduced by Radio Bristol (which is ok on a Monday when the 6pm show is dedicated to City but will be ignored by me every other weekday) there was no mention of the match which I was travelling to see and afterwards, I could only listen to a hopeless commentary of an uninspiring match being played at the home of a "local" team which has its home 45 miles from Bristol.

Was a Premiership club in town for a cup-tie last night? You'd never know. 

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

20 minutes after the kick off some people were discovering that they were sat in the wrong seat of the wrong row, probably in the wrong stand. It's amazing that they managed to turn up at the right ground on the right night.

Got to say I've done that this season, mainly because I'm a numpty (didn't have the wrong stand though).

The atmosphere was horrible last night. I sat in my usual seat in the Dolman E34 Lower. No regulars around me at all, was sat near a bunch of 12 posh numpties who clearly didn't give a toss about the game, spent most of the game sharing crisps with each other and making insightful comments such as "I wonder where the song about playing with goats comes from...."

The fact that whenever I joined in any songs / made any comments about the players / shouted encouragement I was met with looks of distain said it all. Everyone around me looked thoroughly horrified I was being vocal - never will I sit in my ST seat in the Dolman for a cup game again. I am probably sat in the wrong stand to be honest, should be in the Atyeo, but like my view from the Dolman. Wish they'd move the singers over to E34, standing/singing in that area would be cracking

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

And another thing (though not really belonging to this thread but its not worth starting another ...)

Thanks to the new programming introduced by Radio Bristol (which is ok on a Monday when the 6pm show is dedicated to City but will be ignored by me every other weekday) there was no mention of the match which I was travelling to see and afterwards, I could only listen to a hopeless commentary of an uninspiring match being played at the home of a "local" team which has its home 45 miles from Bristol.

Was a Premiership club in town for a cup-tie last night? You'd never know. 

Thought that too when sat in the slowly defrosting car after the game.."why isn't this tripe on BBC Somerset 95.5?"

14 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

Thought that too when sat in the slowly defrosting car after the game.."why isn't this tripe on BBC Somerset 95.5?"

I didn't listen to RB last night as I watched a stream so I don't know, but did they put City's game on AM?  They do this sometimes for home games, still AM is finishing in Feb, so will be on FM or DAB then.

41 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I didn't listen to RB last night as I watched a stream so I don't know, but did they put City's game on AM?  They do this sometimes for home games, still AM is finishing in Feb, so will be on FM or DAB then.

Not sure if it was on AM to be honest 

It's easy to understand why ( no tolerance of standing / Fan make up x results ) but the atmosphere in E34 of the Dolman has been consistently poor all seasons.

It is going to take some careful consideration to renew season tickets in that area again. It's a tepid experience nowadays. If only there was a way of preserving that feel Dolman A once had and E34 has entirely lost.

4 hours ago, HLR said:

The atmosphere was horrible last night. I sat in my usual seat in the Dolman E34 Lower. No regulars around me at all, was sat near a bunch of 12 posh numpties who clearly didn't give a toss about the game, spent most of the game sharing crisps with each other and making insightful comments such as "I wonder where the song about playing with goats comes from...."

The fact that whenever I joined in any songs / made any comments about the players / shouted encouragement I was met with looks of distain said it all. Everyone around me looked thoroughly horrified I was being vocal - never will I sit in my ST seat in the Dolman for a cup game again. I am probably sat in the wrong stand to be honest, should be in the Atyeo, but like my view from the Dolman. Wish they'd move the singers over to E34, standing/singing in that area would be cracking

If we were ever to reach the Prem we could look forward to more of the same

6 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

If we were ever to reach the Prem we could look forward to more of the same

And for that reason, I'm not sure I'd ever want to be there. I know it sounds bad, however I despise all that is related to the Premier League - the astronomical wages, the fans (sorry, consumers), the silly transfer fees, the possibility for clubs that once had character to become soulless. As much as I'd love to see City in the top flight, it would definitely have it's drawbacks for me....

I was sat in the Atyeo unreserved seating last night, where I usually sit with my ST. Heard someone tell someone else that they were sat in their seat. I saw this happen 4-5 times in the ten minutes leading up to kick off. In fact, I don't think there were enough seats together for everyone, as I heard on quite a few occasions people complaining about nowhere to sit (there were probably one or two seats dotted about the section, but not 3-4 in a row for families or groups to sit together). This lead to some people standing in the aisles and walkways until the stewards told them otherwise which went on for about the first 10 minutes of the game. A lot of new fans coming to watch City as the premier league team come to town. I definitely think this is a good thing as the more people supporting the team and filling the stadium (especially when it's finished), the better for financial reasons as well as support for the boys. However, if I was a new fan attending last night for the first time, there wasn't much that would give me that buzz to convince me to come again. Don't get me wrong, I still get Goosebumps when the Atyeo is rocking. However, the atmosphere was very subdued compared to normal, and it wasn't a particularly exciting game, add in that a few groups/families probably couldn't sit together and it was FREEZING. Just hope some of them come back on a match day when the usual lot are sat together and experience that buzz that keeps them coming back.

7 minutes ago, HLR said:

And for that reason, I'm not sure I'd ever want to be there. I know it sounds bad, however I despise all that is related to the Premier League - the astronomical wages, the fans (sorry, consumers), the silly transfer fees, the possibility for clubs that once had character to become soulless. As much as I'd love to see City in the top flight, it would definitely have it's drawbacks for me....

Agree,

A championship club that develops and wins more games than it loses will do me fine.  

10 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

No you don't. Last year against West Ham, same circumstances, 3000 less people in the ground and the atmosphere was far far better before the game even started.

And why was that? We gave it a real go in that game especially first half.

There was nothing to get excited about on the pitch. I was in the Dolman behind the gentleman I saw checking this forum and the met office web site in the "Packers" hat , and the south stand could be heard one or two times.  If I hear "We are the Albion" one more time I'm going to hang myself.

1 minute ago, Super said:

And why was that? We gave it a real go in that game especially first half.

I don't know, but I'm saying the atmosphere was good before the game had even began, so it had nothing to do with how we were playing. Then as soon as the game started West Ham players were getting booed whenever they touched the ball etc.. All added to a decent atmosphere. Forget how we played last night (I thought we played well and created the best chance of the game), the atmosphere was embarrassing. No excuses for it whatsoever. And we can't use the excuse that playing west brom is "uninspiring" when we sold out 5.3k at their place and made one hell of a racket.

1 minute ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

I don't know, but I'm saying the atmosphere was good before the game had even began, so it had nothing to do with how we were playing. Then as soon as the game started West Ham players were getting booed whenever they touched the ball etc.. All added to a decent atmosphere. Forget how we played last night (I thought we played well and created the best chance of the game), the atmosphere was embarrassing. No excuses for it whatsoever. And we can't use the excuse that playing west brom is "uninspiring" when we sold out 5.3k at their place and made one hell of a racket.

I was at West Ham it was warmer for one. Atmosphere was better than last night though no doubt on that front.

I suppose one thing maybe capacity higher this year, less floating fans more proper fans v West Ham which all helps the atmosphere. Same as WBA away 5.3k you can bet most of them will be regulars.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I was at West Ham it was warmer for one. Atmosphere was better than last night though no doubt on that front.

I suppose one thing maybe capacity higher this year, less floating fans more proper fans v West Ham which all helps the atmosphere. Same as WBA away 5.3k you can bet most of them will be regulars.

Valid points mate. But even at normal league games that have nearly all regulars, the atmosphere has still been poor for a while now. 

Archived