IGNORED

Ball carrier in defence

Lack of Action Man

Tonight, one thing I thought was really evident was how we have sacrificed a little bit of ball playing ability along the back line in favour of stability. 

Considering our league position, I completely understand that. However tonight was a game to be played in isolation to the rest of our season and I felt that our backline lacked the ability to bring the ball forward out of defence and push their midfield back. 

At times Pack was excellent at collecting from the back line and distributing. However after we conceded, we obviously wanted to get the ball forward more quickly so Pack stopped playing as deep. This left Baker, Flint and Williams to try to work the ball forward - which doesn't play to their strengths. Inevitably they travelled 2-3 paces before hitting it long. 

In summary, if we are to go with two limited defenders in baker and flint, both of our full backs need to be ball players in order to prevent us hitting it long directly from the back. 

Totally agree. There were times on Saturday when Flint and Baker had acres of space and time to bring the ball down to play it and boom - straight on the head 30 yards up and out. 

For me, Ayling is more than comfortable bringing the ball out and playing it, which only leaves left back. Isn't one of the new lads a LB? Joe can do it, just needs to get his mojo back. 

5 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Totally agree. There were times on Saturday when Flint and Baker had acres of space and time to bring the ball down to play it and boom - straight on the head 30 yards up and out. 

For me, Ayling is more than comfortable bringing the ball out and playing it, which only leaves left back. Isn't one of the new lads a LB? Joe can do it, just needs to get his mojo back. 

Exactly this, a comfortable ball playing left back would really compliment our back four if Ayling is right full back. 

For me I have question marks over Mark little as an out and out full back. He's fantastic running with the ball at pace, in space. But does he have the ability to travel with the ball facing oncoming pressure. I'm not sure.

It's about confidence. Neither Flint or Baker are blessed with much footballing talent and both tend to lump it aimlessly up field. Last week against Preston Flint did exactly that 7 times and each time it came straight back. He and Baker lack the ball skills to bring the ball out into midfield. Too many City centre backs have been the same. Millen used to boot it long for fun. So did Taylor and Lever before them. The list is endless....

Caulker they ain't.....

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It's about confidence. Neither Flint or Baker are blessed with much footballing talent and both tend to lump it aimlessly up field. Last week against Preston Flint did exactly that 7 times and each time it came straight back. He and Baker lack the ball skills to bring the ball out into midfield. Too many City centre backs have been the same. Millen used to boot it long for fun. So did Taylor and Lever before them. The list is endless....

Caulker they ain't.....

yes but when your fullbacks have the same passing ability is there any chance of playing football?

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Caulker they ain't.....

Which is why we need ball playing full backs - it takes the pressure off the two in the middle to be distributors and when we need Pack further upfield means we aren't just pumping it long from the centre of defence. 

It's not Baker or Flints skill set to travel forward with the ball, but it is Aylings and a new left backs...

11 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Tonight, one thing I thought was really evident was how we have sacrificed a little bit of ball playing ability along the back line in favour of stability. 

Considering our league position, I completely understand that. However tonight was a game to be played in isolation to the rest of our season and I felt that our backline lacked the ability to bring the ball forward out of defence and push their midfield back. 

At times Pack was excellent at collecting from the back line and distributing. However after we conceded, we obviously wanted to get the ball forward more quickly so Pack stopped playing as deep. This left Baker, Flint and Williams to try to work the ball forward - which doesn't play to their strengths. Inevitably they travelled 2-3 paces before hitting it long. 

In summary, if we are to go with two limited defenders in baker and flint, both of our full backs need to be ball players in order to prevent us hitting it long directly from the back. 

There was a moment on Saturday when Flinty brought the ball out from the back, ran with it nearly up to halfway, I hadn't seen him do that before…

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

There was a moment on Saturday when Flinty brought the ball out from the back, ran with it nearly up to halfway, I hadn't seen him do that before…

Does he look comfortable doing it? Questionable. He's not blessed with fantastic ball playing ability and I dont think he needs to be playing that role. It doesn't play to his strengths.

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I must have been looking elsewhere when he did that. I don't recall ever seeing Flint carry the ball forward into the opposition half. As Oddball says it ain't in his or Bakers skill set.

Thats why a defensive minded midfielder is so useful. Pack does a decent job in that role.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I must have been looking elsewhere when he did that. I don't recall ever seeing Flint carry the ball forward into the opposition half. As Oddball says it ain't in his or Bakers skill set.

Thats why a defensive minded midfielder is so useful. Pack does a decent job in that role.

Indeed last night he collected and distributed well before WBA took the lead. Then he played further upfield leaving Baker/Flint to lump it forwards as they didn't have the option of Ayling until late on)

Pack had to come deeper to collect the ball last night than I've ever seen him do before. At one point he was collecting the ball from Max whilst he was even deeper than the centre halves! 

I think this was a reason we struggled so much attacking wise.

If it shores us up at the back then great. Against lesser opposition than West Brom (all of our league opponents), Pack won't need to do this as much, can play higher up the pitch and start the attacks.

12 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Problem with Wilbs up top is it encourages the easy option, hoof. 

Whenever City have a big/tall forward there's always a tendency to lump it upto them. It goes back decades. Almost every City manager has done it. - some more than others.

It reflects the ability of the defenders and the mindset of the manager. 

Petsonally I hate it. I don't like paying good money to watch hoof ball.

Archived