IGNORED

Carey's view on Pembo

bcfcmike

When asked on the radio tonight weather Pembo should get the Job, LC replied " No def not" he then went on to say he wouldn't understand the logic in sacking a manager then giving the job to a No2.

He stated he felt in his opinion it would not be right for BCFC, and that a new man should be brought in.

I for one agree.

And I also admire LC for having the balls to say what he felt and give his opinion, rather than sitting on the fence as do so many others in the media.

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Well the decision does not rest with LC. Signings are arriving, performances are improving, if that carries on just leave well alone for the season.

We have had 1 improved performance against Boro, I don't think you can judge anything on the next game after a manager has been sacked, lets get the honeymoon period get out the way.

2 minutes ago, bcfcmike said:

We have had 1 improved performance against Boro, I don't think you can judge anything on the next game after a manager has been sacked, lets get the honeymoon period get out the way.

Agree that we have to see how it goes, Boro, WBA, Leeds, real baptism of fire. I thought they got tonight spot on, game time for fringe players, and resting a couple of key ones. We need to get used to this new concept of utilising the squad and tactical substitutions! 

The main thing for me is that we look much better organised and far less likely to concede. We all just need to keep a grip on reality, we have struggled all season, we are not going to transform into World beaters overnight, but early signs are that we will be a lot harder to beat. That's all we need right now.

1 minute ago, Chappers said:

Agree that we have to see how it goes, Boro, WBA, Leeds, real baptism of fire. I thought they got tonight spot on, game time for fringe players, and resting a couple of key ones. We need to get used to this new concept of utilising the squad and tactical substitutions! 

The main thing for me is that we look much better organised and far less likely to concede. We all just need to keep a grip on reality, we have struggled all season, we are not going to transform into World beaters overnight, but early signs are that we will be a lot harder to beat. That's all we need right now.

Totally agree 100%

I personally am just really uncomfortable with giving straight to the No2 thing. But do agree if things do go well, I may well be more comfortable with it.

And for me its nothing Against Pembo personally, I have stated in another thread that if a new man does come in and even brings a new No2 with him, we shouldn't be letting Pembo go, there has to be a role for him within the club. Top man in my eyes just not convinced he is the man to get us out of trouble.

We only have to look at our distant neighbours Swansea to see it doesn't really work. They had Curtis as an interim manager and results initially improved but then when down hill again once he was appointed for the rest of the season. They quickly saw the error in the decision they made and quickly brought in someone else.

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Carey's welcome to his views but I disagree - at least in the short-term.  If performances continue to improve, I don't think there's anything wrong with offering Pembo the job til the end of the season.  Especially if that gives us the time to get the right guy in...

Given the timing of Steve's sacking and the apparent stability and new-found desire around the club, I think your point is very valid.  The worst of all worlds could be we we perform brilliantly in the next few games and the new man has a short-term detrimental effect as he applies his own ideas.

8 hours ago, Atticus said:

I too agree with this.

I don't understand the logic of giving the job to the number 2. It never works out.

Only time it would make some sense is when team are flying and manager leaves for a bigger club. Then I could understand it. Not in this situation.

I think 'never works out' isn't right. If you mean they all get sacked, then yes, but virtually all managers do eventually it's just a matter of time. If you look at number 2's that have taken over at City at this level I would say Jimmy Lumsden (Sep 90-Feb92), Russel Osman (Jan 93-Nov 94) and Keith Millen (March 2010-Oct 2011 if you ignore the brief Coppell period inthe middle) all completed full seasons where we finished nearer the top than the bottom of this league, they all lasted roughly a year and a half whereas the average tenure for a manager at Championship level is 10 months. Osman and Millen also saved us from relegation when they took over. I would say this was a success. Where it often falls down is the Board feel uneasy about spending big money with an unproved manager so they don't get the same backing as an experienced manager (I think this is what happened to Osman and Millen).

You would think that handing over the reins to a coach who knows the squad, set up at the club etc would be the safest transition. That how it works in business, most of the time, its natural progression, except in football. 

Football has a different criteria where there is a demand to seek a change for the sake of it, rather than build solid foundations, we try and build on shifting sands, it is quite ridiculous when you think about it the amount of managers that merely swap clubs, getting paid off, only to move to another short term let.

Hardly a blueprint for future growth is it?

Make no mistake we are all caught up in this madness, but madness it is.

52 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Carey's welcome to his views but I disagree - at least in the short-term.  If performances continue to improve, I don't think there's anything wrong with offering Pembo the job til the end of the season.  Especially if that gives us the time to get the right guy in...

Agree, however it is not a popular view, I wouldn't personally rely on any advice that LC offers in this regard, he merely is filling in something to say on radio.

Much as we do on here, you would think that looking at the Ferguson model would at least concentrate minds, not only him, but a succession of long standing managers that have grown clubs into achieving success.

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I think 'never works out' isn't right. If you mean they all get sacked, then yes, but virtually all managers do eventually it's just a matter of time. If you look at number 2's that have taken over at City at this level I would say Jimmy Lumsden (Sep 90-Feb92), Russel Osman (Jan 93-Nov 94) and Keith Millen (March 2010-Oct 2011 if you ignore the brief Coppell period inthe middle) all completed full seasons where we finished nearer the top than the bottom of this league, they all lasted roughly a year and a half whereas the average tenure for a manager at Championship level is 10 months. Osman and Millen also saved us from relegation when they took over. I would say this was a success. Where it often falls down is the Board feel uneasy about spending big money with an unproved manager so they don't get the same backing as an experienced manager (I think this is what happened to Osman and Millen).

With Millen it was the problem with recruitment . KM identified and tracked two  top defenders, Craig Dawson and Billy Jones who both signed for other clubs leaving us scrambling about for alternatives at the last moment , sound familiar ? 

12 hours ago, bcfcmike said:

When asked on the radio tonight weather Pembo should get the Job, LC replied " No def not" he then went on to say he wouldn't understand the logic in sacking a manager then giving the job to a No2.

He stated he felt in his opinion it would not be right for BCFC, and that a new man should be brought in.

I for one agree.

And I also admire LC for having the balls to say what he felt and give his opinion, rather than sitting on the fence as do so many others in the media.

Has he applied?

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

On a different tack, how could people sat at home follow the game with Carey waffling on interminably ? Like the Preston game I was listening (whilst watching) He nearly missed Wes's "nearly" goal ! Too much chat from him, I turned him off after 30 mins, but I bet the stats were 70% chat to 30% commentary. Come back AB ! 

I really enjoyed Louis' insight. I felt I actually understood the game a lot better. Yes he could tighten up his contributions but his analysis was really interesting. 

33 minutes ago, eric04 said:

I really enjoyed Louis' insight. I felt I actually understood the game a lot better. Yes he could tighten up his contributions but his analysis was really interesting. 

I 'm not saying what he said wasn't interesting, just too ****** much of it when there was action happening. I was getting frustrated for the listener at home !

Archived