IGNORED

Luke Freeman

Tim Bartlett

4 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

At least 2 thirds were from set pieces. The guy has NEVER scored at Ashton gate and has zero assists from open play this year which quite honestly is embarrassing. We need to buy someone like Dack but whilst we haven't despite him being weak and often losing the ball Reid has to be the one playing. He's the only player who can occasionally see a killer pass and has got assists not from set pieces. Freeman might be better suited out wide, but certainly wouldn't be in my team in the middle. Dack or Roofe in and it's a whole different ball game. 

I think you make a lot of fair points, and his goalscoring record has never been what it should be for a player in his position. Actually, I can't even remember the last time we had someone down the middle who could consistently strike a good ball at goal?

One thing I would say on Luke, though, is if you've got a bloke who can swing a dead ball in on a sixpence and create at least 12 goals a season (assuming you have the stats to back that up) isn't that pretty valuable to a team?

26 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I think you make a lot of fair points, and his goalscoring record has never been what it should be for a player in his position. Actually, I can't even remember the last time we had someone down the middle who could consistently strike a good ball at goal?

One thing I would say on Luke, though, is if you've got a bloke who can swing a dead ball in on a sixpence and create at least 12 goals a season (assuming you have the stats to back that up) isn't that pretty valuable to a team?

Yes valuable but he's not doing it this year because clearly championship teams must work more on set pieces or be generally stronger. I think we've scored 3 goals from corners. 2 from Reid 1 from Freeman. I really hope we get Dack. He'd help us out big time. 

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

He has no killer pass ability. He is an excellent dribbler and crosser and should be put back out wide for me.

Do you not remember last season? Of course he has the ability. It's not like it was only good enough for League 1 either, he showed it at the start of this season and rapidly faded after losing confidence. He's shown glimpses since too. He was no worse than Bobby Reid last night, either.

@Shtanley - do set-piece goals not count? Were we to win 1-0 every week from a corner, I'd be pretty happy personally.

Just now, Robin1988 said:

Dtechnicalnot remebnber last season? Of course he has the ability. It's not like it was only good enough for League 1 either, he showed it at the start of this season and rapidly faded after losing confidence. He's shown glimpses since too. He was no worse than Bobby Reid last night, either.

@Shtanley - do set-piece goals not count? Were we to win 1-0 every week from a corner, I'd be pretty happy personally.

He has never shown me an ability to pass IN behind or score regulary. He IS arguably our best player technically and best dead ball player. However I dont see him and never really have, playing behind the strikers. 

7 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Do you not remember last season? Of course he has the ability. It's not like it was only good enough for League 1 either, he showed it at the start of this season and rapidly faded after losing confidence. He's shown glimpses since too. He was no worse than Bobby Reid last night, either.

I remember last season incredibly well. The team played exceptionally but Luke Freeman cannot deliver in the final third. It's all good breaking in the open spaces but he can't score goals and he can't get assists from open play on a regular basis! How did he show it at the start of the season can I ask? We didn't win any games until he get suspended? Bobby Reid was worse last night but behind the striker you need someone who sees runs and freeman simply doesn't. Would be on the bench or possibly on the left wing in my team. 

Unfortunately Freeman opens up 20 yards of space for himself on regular occasions and doesn't have the ability to find the killer pass. For all of BR flaws, he can certainly unlock a defence. We are screaming out for Gladwin to come in and create. Would happily sell freeman for anywhere near the £1 mill mark. 

I thought Freeman was ok until being subbed last night. What I don't understand is taking him and Wagstaff off and having 3 forwards on with a huge hole in the middle of the pitch?

Some people on this thread have got the answer I believe. Move Freeman out to the left (to take some pressure off him) and stick Gladwin in the middle!

3 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I was surprised he took so long to get off the pitch when substituted considering we were losing, unless he was injured?

I thought this too and it annoyed me.  He'd been running around up until that point so why did he trudge off with a slow walk from the other side of the pitch?  We were losing 1-0, but from the way he departed you'd think we were 1-0 up with 30 seconds left.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I thought this too and it annoyed me.  He'd been running around up until that point so why did he trudge off with a slow walk from the other side of the pitch?  We were losing 1-0, but from the way he departed you'd think we were 1-0 up with 30 seconds left.

As I said, he thinks he's an untouchable and as one of Cotts favourites would only have been brought off through injury. Thought it showed a lack of respect and class. 

17 minutes ago, Mark Jenkinson said:

Don't think Freeman is the problem-it's the rest of the midfield

If Pembo continues to play Marlon Pack , we are going down

One paced and playing at least one league above his depth

Pack has been our best player last few weeks he's certainly shown me he's good enough at this level. I think he'll be even better in this formation too. 

36 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Pack has been our best player last few weeks he's certainly shown me he's good enough at this level. I think he'll be even better in this formation too. 

Not necessarily this Saturday away from home, but could you see:

O'Donnell;

Ayling, Flint, Baker, Bryan (instead of Williams);

Smith, Pack, Gladwin;

Burns, Kodjia, Freeman;

or maybe swap Freeman and Gladwin over for Luke's energy?

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not necessarily this Saturday away from home, but could you see:

O'Donnell;

Ayling, Flint, Baker, Bryan (instead of Williams);

Smith, Pack, Gladwin;

Burns, Kodjia, Freeman;

or maybe swap Freeman and Gladwin over for Luke's energy?

Yes. Probably be my team tbh. Only decision is whether it's DW &JB on the left or JB&LF. 

Archived