IGNORED

Wes Burns Last Night

SuperFly2002

Sorry if this has been discussed at length on an another thread (Mods feel free to kill this thread if this is the case).

But................... Wes was fantastic last night, inventive, tough tackling, tracking back, great wing play. Yes there are still a few rough edges to knock off, but I'm pretty sure with a decent run in the first team, he WILL evolve and become the real deal.

I would never play him as an out and out striker as his finishing isn't there, but on the right wing, he was a revelation.

He well deserved his man of the match award last night.

:clap:

I'm not one to get carried away with the home grown players, but I thought Burns deserved a 6 last night. That may sound harsh, but with everyone else around scoring 4's and 5's, I thought he had a reasonable game. 

Rough edges is true, but he certainly does a lot more for me than Reid does. 

I only watched the 1st half, but he looked our biggest threat for sure. I've always said that Wes has the raw 'materials' to be a good asset- pace, strength and a decent first touch. What he lacks is composure and a bit of guile, which to be honest is to be expected from someone with so little experience. If we're going to play with a counter attacking front 3 or wingers, I really think he should get a go. However, I suspect that if we sign another striker (Lafferty for example), we may end up with Kodjia out right and Wes may have to play from the bench

Still, nice to see another of 'our own' staking a claim

10 minutes ago, WaggiesQuiff said:

he was decent, but he shoulda rounded the keeper in stead of shooting

If he had more game time his decision making may have been better. I liked that he backed himself to hit the corner, but I think his best bet would've been to just smash it anywhere on target to give him a boost.

Rounding Ben Foster for a lad of his inexperience is a BIG ask. I thought he did very well up against a very good left back (after the sub). Some of the crosses he put in were pretty stand out.

Wes has pace and stamina in abundance.  He has massive raw potential that he needs to be given the opportunity to realise and I'm glad that he's being given it.  Otherwise what's the point of the academy?  Like others have said, he has rough edges that only real match experience will help smooth off.  Keep going with him I say.  We have very few players that after 90 minutes will still be able (and willing) to sprint back 50 yards to get a tackle in like he did on Saturday.  He could be crucial in the run in.

He was our biggest threat for sure, thought he looked knackered 2nd half though. Lack of match fitness I would guess.

Pembo/Wade need to give him a day or two off, bit of light training Friday then back at full tilt for Saturday. In fact I would say this for most of the squad that have played 4 times in 10 days, as we looked on our arses come the end of the game last night.

This is not a criticism just an observation, before anyone jumps down my throat :fear:

I was watching the game in a pub with a friend who's a Chelsea Season ticket holder who knows nothing about our players (i.e who starts regularly, how old they are or anything like that).  As a neutral who didn't know he was an academy product who started regularly, he thought Burns was the best player on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, BCFC_Dan said:

His pace was dangerous but didn't cause all that many problems to West Brom's reserve left-back. In an ideal world he'd be an option from the bench against a tiring defence, not our main threat.

Pocognolli has been capped 13 times by Belgium, so I think that's a bit unfair. No one should expect Wes Burns to be anywhere near the finished article, but I don't think he particularly looked out of place last night

Can't help he would be better sat just behind a striker like Kodjia or Agard. He would have more room, choices to run into and space to exploit, he gets pushed out wide to often and fails to deliver as he simply runs out of space. If we are going to play 4-3-3 then a striker with Reid or Freeman and Wes sat behind the striker would be a lot more threatening, especially if they stay high up the pitch - playing Wilbs with 4-3-3- seems a waste, as you want the ball to feet and run at defences. The rest of the team also need to stop lumping useless high long balls up field as well.

Thought he had a decent game and I like his 'positivity' when receiving the ball (decent first touch too)

Undoubtedly still finding his feet but think his pace and improving strength give him a real opportunity to force himself in on a regular basis

Just needs to try and find that composure on occasions (The hardest bit I would imagine !) 

I smell genuine potential in Wes this season

40 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I thought he was the best player on the pitch last night, worked hard, great touch, quick thinking, a must to start in the league from that showing

I think that was Sessegnon by a mile.

14 minutes ago, South Bristol Red #4 said:

Agreed RedDave...Anichebe bossed it last night.

The thing about Anichebe is that he didn't really 'play' well, he's just built like a tank and can bully pretty much anyone off the ball. Nothing wrong with that and it's an asset West Brom used well, just loathe to say he was the best footballer on show

19 minutes ago, South Bristol Red #4 said:

He was WBA's best player but I wouldn't go as far as saying he bossed the game, Burns caused WBA as many problems as Anichebe caused us.  It was a tight game and either side could have won if they had gone for it, personally I think we wanted to go out to concentrate on staying up

42 minutes ago, South Bristol Red #4 said:

I've never thought much of him before but last night was an eye opener for me. He had good discipline, good positional sense, laid off a couple of nice balls and was a menace. I was thoroughly impressed with him, especially playing in a rather unorthodox role for him (a presumption on my part).

Yacob was another who stood out for me too. Not for his technical ability which he didn't have much chance to demonstrate but again a really disciplined, stifling performance from him.   

For the life of me, I don't know why we don't play Burns more often. All he seems to lack at the moment is solid game time, so I'd happily give him as much first-team football as he wants alongside playing in the U21's.

As everyone has already said, he's rough around the edges, but that'll disappear with regular game time at this level.

Wes was undoubtedly our best player on the pitch last night. At times he seemed unsure whether or not to take on their LB or not, or whether he should be sticking wide / cutting in, but with game time that understanding will come. Can be a very useful player for us if we manage him right

Archived