IGNORED

Wes Burns Last Night

SuperFly2002

I can't be arsed to quote posts as the are bits of too many I agree with.

My thoughts, and I didn't really see the game as I was trying to watch the second half while in work.  A big plus for Wade and Pembo are the use of Bobby and Wes, neither would have got on without the change. Not only are they getting game time which they need, but it has allowed players to have a rest. Wes has shown flashes, as has BR, but really needs to play to see how good he can be. Bad miss Vs WBA , but brought a very good save from the keeper Vs Boro. Both chance came from good runs, the sort of runs we have lacked. It may be the pass was missing before but twice he's got in against good opposition, very promising.

22 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

You must HAVE .

I must have watched a different game as well then because apart from missing an exellent chance to score and tracking back a couple of times before fouling he was the same as 8 others but better than two (wilb's & reid).

55 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

I must have watched a different game as well then because apart from missing an exellent chance to score and tracking back a couple of times before fouling he was the same as 8 others but better than two (wilb's & reid).

Seems like you must of.

I thought Burns was a breath of fresh air.

He went missing a bit later on but always a threat when on the ball.Pace is everything.

Under Cotts he wouldn't have had this much game time so is this another reason why Cotts reign was at an end.

We saw the good and bad side of Bobby Reid though. A bit light weight at times in giving the ball away but some of the forward passing & quick decision making shows he has a bright future in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

@djb6162 - what was your assessment?

I have learned the hard way in bushiness and in life, that it is a bit of a "no win scenario" to try and debate with others on a topic you are too close to yourself.

I Have made that mistake on here regarding Wes in the past and have regretted it.

I feel that Wes generally now gets well balanced positive feedback on this forum, with equally fair criticism where and when its due.

This thread is a very good example of that.

So maybe for once i will give an opinion on his latest performance.

Wes and i discussed honestly his game on Tuesday.

Firstly and this should not be seen as an excuse, the pitch and conditions were awful, "like playing on glass" was how Wes described it.... "getting a lot worse as the night wore on".

That aside, some points on Wes' game..... when "one on one" with the keeper, you have to try and create the right angle, realise your speed, realise how difficult it would have been for brunt to make a challenge, the gap he looked for was too acute and his shape and the angle was against him. IF you are going to shoot then you have to hit the target or make the keeper save it.

I think this will come the more he plays and at u21 he doesn't even think about it.

The second point was about taking this man on early in the game and letting him know what he is all about... sow the seed early, not many will match him for pace, but he has to use that more. When he does that.... things happen.

I understand he has to cut back and recycle at times, but at the moment the proportions are not right. He says that as he gets match fit, the aggression will step up and so will his direct approach.

The final bit was about crossing the ball earlier at times. no debate here, just bloody do it. (he agrees !!!)

Wes is a confidence player, once he has a sniff that his man is beatable , he is a menace , his defensive game is now so much better,  as is his positional sense (big problem for cotterill this 18 months ago) remember Chesterfield, the best and the worst of Wes Burns that day !!

Its up to him now....... its taken him two years plus two loan moves plus Elliott Bennet leaving, and a new set up with a new formation to get the shirt.

Keep two hands on that shirt has to be his motivation now.

9 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

I have learned the hard way in bushiness and in life, that it is a bit of a "no win scenario" to try and debate with others on a topic you are too close to yourself.

I Have made that mistake on here regarding Wes in the past and have regretted it.

I feel that Wes generally now gets well balanced positive feedback on this forum, with equally fair criticism where and when its due.

This thread is a very good example of that.

So maybe for once i will give an opinion on his latest performance.

Wes and i discussed honestly his game on Tuesday.

Firstly and this should not be seen as an excuse, the pitch and conditions were awful, "like playing on glass" was how Wes described it.... "getting a lot worse as the night wore on".

That aside, some points on Wes' game..... when "one on one" with the keeper, you have to try and create the right angle, realise your speed, realise how difficult it would have been for brunt to make a challenge, the gap he looked for was too acute and his shape and the angle was against him. IF you are going to shoot then you have to hit the target or make the keeper save it.

I think this will come the more he plays and at u21 he doesn't even think about it.

The second point was about taking this man on early in the game and letting him know what he is all about... sow the seed early, not many will match him for pace, but he has to use that more. When he does that.... things happen.

I understand he has to cut back and recycle at times, but at the moment the proportions are not right. He says that as he gets match fit, the aggression will step up and so will his direct approach.

The final bit was about crossing the ball earlier at times. no debate here, just bloody do it. (he agrees !!!)

Wes is a confidence player, once he has a sniff that his man is beatable , he is a menace , his defensive game is now so much better,  as is his positional sense (big problem for cotterill this 18 months ago) remember Chesterfield, the best and the worst of Wes Burns that day !!

Its up to him now....... its taken him two years plus two loan moves plus Elliott Bennet leaving, and a new set up with a new formation to get the shirt.

Keep two hands on that shirt has to be his motivation now.

Thanks Mr B - enjoying your posts more than usual now Wes is getting a run in the team!

Interesting point about the pitch, I did wonder how it plays like when it gets close to and under freezing - do they train on there at all under those conditions?

Loving Wes and Bobby getting their chance, and great to see Joe back in the team too. Hope you and Mrs B are enjoying the ride too

Fair play to you @djb6162 for posting on here - a very difficult thing to self manage and not to react to criticism of a loved one - I take my hat off to you for the way you conduct yourself

It would be a lot easier to not post but I for one am glad that you do as it is interesting to read your views on Wes and other aspects when you are able to comment or put a view , a view that none of us can have

So thanks - I hope no one spoils you're involvement and for Wes, and you that the remainder of the season sees Wes feeling a first team player and part of a memorable climb out the danger zone

6 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Thanks Mr B - enjoying your posts more than usual now Wes is getting a run in the team!

Interesting point about the pitch, I did wonder how it plays like when it gets close to and under freezing - do they train on there at all under those conditions?

Loving Wes and Booby getting their chance, and great to see Joe back in the team too. Hope you and Mrs B are enjoying the ride too

Dont think so Woodsy, they never train on that pitch

the choice of stud was a nightmare as the flanks were harder than the central part of the pitch for obvious reason.

Thank you @djb6162 for coming on here and giving your opinions, really interesting to see things from your perspective as well as hearing feedback Wes has given on the game. In all fairness you don't have to come on here and give your thoughts, but it is always insightful to hear from someone so close to a player at the club. It's also fantastic to see Wes seemingly kick on a bit now, long may it continue

7 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

the choice of stud was a nightmare as the flanks were harder than the central part of the pitch for obvious reason.

I didn't realise that we don't have undersoil heating

Especially after laying a Desso £million + pitch - you would have thought that was the time to do it

im naive about the cost of undersoil but with SLs development of AG I can only guess there's a good reason not to have done this yet - possibly delayed until building work complete ? With renewed Desso ?

Am I right in thinking Prem League Clubs must have undersoil ??

10 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

Seems crazy to me. Memories of games played in similar conditions at QPR / Luton / Preston back in the day, turning circle of an oil tanker on days like that!

18 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I didn't realise that we don't have undersoil heating

Especially after laying a Desso £million + pitch - you would have thought that was the time to do it

im naive about the cost of undersoil but with SLs development of AG I can only guess there's a good reason not to have done this yet - possibly delayed until building work complete ? With renewed Desso ?

Am I right in thinking Prem League Clubs must have undersoil ??

I understood we DO have the necessary for under soil heating, but the boiler / gubbins to make it work won't be ready until next season. Is this incorrect?

3 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

I understood we DO have the necessary for under soil heating, but the boiler / gubbins to make it work won't be ready until next season. Is this incorrect?

Ahhhh - that would make sense - the pipes or whatever laid but waiting for building work completion to install the boiler workings - thanks - seems to make sense

Archived