IGNORED

What's next

Eastred

For me I couldn't care about having a wonderful ground and corporate boxes. All I am interested in is seeing the MIGHTY BCFC in the prem one day. For god sake SL invest in the team, sack the board and give us a manager with some authority who will get us there. Pay whatever it takes to bring a credible new manager in, otherwise we will be playing the Gas and Swindle next season. Keep us in the Championship this season, consolidate then push on for promotion to the prem. Then we can worry about a swanky stadium. Discuss......

Personally I would be happy if SL sold up and moved on, there is a common denominator to the last 10-years or so of average to crap and its not down to the last 7 or 8 managers we have had! Other clubs get by without a billionaire owner and I'm sure we could

I don't believe it would take millions to keep us up. It appears to me that we had a decent manager but there was clearly a difference between either a) him and the board and b) him and Burt.  Clearly we all know the momentum from last season was lost when we let players go and didn't replace them. I'm not a Warnock fan but surely a short term managerial appointment to keep us up this season is all we need? 4th from bottom is all that matters now....

The trouble is, with the 'Bristol Sport' vision, SL selling up is not as easy as it would seem. He owns the ground, City and the Rugby club. He would need to move the lot on as one and who would be in a position to buy that?  If he was to sell just City off to a new owner then what about the ground? I guess the ground and City could be sold together as a package leaving SL just the Rugby club or he could find another buyer for that. What ever happened it wouldn't be a simple case of out with the old and in with the new.

8 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Personally I would be happy if SL sold up and moved on, there is a common denominator to the last 10-years or so of average to crap and its not down to the last 7 or 8 managers we have had! Other clubs get by without a billionaire owner and I'm sure we could

You are an absolute idiot

10 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Might want his £100 mill back before he considers selling

Aren't owners limited on how much they can invest in sides per season now anyway? Think I read something like £7m or so and that's to help cover losses etc, so how much could Lansdown really help invest transfer wise given it would be money the club doesn't have in the first place.

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Aren't owners limited on how much they can invest in sides per season now anyway? Think I read something like £7m or so and that's to help cover losses etc, so how much could Lansdown really help invest transfer wise given it would be money the club doesn't have in the first place.

Only when it suits and they can hide behind it, so how does Abramovich, Man City sheik, Bournmouth owner get away with it? No excuses thats  only 3 without even thiking, where there is a wll there's a way! Not having a go by the way just stating how I feel!

28 minutes ago, cityexile said:

OK.

No arguments some real screw ups this year, but for the sake of debate, how much this season do you think SL should invest in the club, to the nearest five million?

£5m. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

£5m. 

So, £5m less than last year?

Right now the mood would have been so different if we had got a point today. Seemed we created as much as we had for a while today, but like everyone else, how often can you just say we were unlucky? It is such a difficult one. When I look at teams like Preston, Leeds, we really did not need to be so much better than we are.

Just so deeply deeply frustrating!

29 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Well of course we were fabulously successful before Steve Lansdown bought us :facepalm:

The fact is, Lansdown doesn't hire the players, pick the team, chose the tactics, coach the players, give the team talk. He just underwrites the losses that otherwise would send us into administration. 

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

So, £5m less than last year?

Right now the mood would have been so different if we had got a point today. Seemed we created as much as we had for a while today, but like everyone else, how often can you just say we were unlucky? It is such a difficult one. When I look at teams like Preston, Leeds, we really did not need to be so much better than we are.

Just so deeply deeply frustrating!

Sorry, my mistake as I misunderstood/misread the question. I thought it was leading towards investment during this transfer rather than operationally  

Not sure is the answer in that case :) 

18 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Only when it suits and they can hide behind it, so how does Abramovich, Man City sheik, Bournmouth owner get away with it? No excuses thats  only 3 without even thiking, where there is a wll there's a way! Not having a go by the way just stating how I feel!

Chelsea - Premier League

Man City - Premier League

Bournemouth - They spent, but didn't spend huge amounts to go up and now Premier League

The premier league protects its own.

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Two words. Vincent and Tan. Be careful what you wish for.

1 hour ago, Eastred said:

For me I couldn't care about having a wonderful ground and corporate boxes. All I am interested in is seeing the MIGHTY BCFC in the prem one day. For god sake SL invest in the team, sack the board and give us a manager with some authority who will get us there. Pay whatever it takes to bring a credible new manager in, otherwise we will be playing the Gas and Swindle next season. Keep us in the Championship this season, consolidate then push on for promotion to the prem. Then we can worry about a swanky stadium. Discuss......

What's the point of being in the Prem without a suitable ground and facilities? Better to be there when we can make the most of it with corporate facilities and bigger attendences.

that being said, I couldn't care less about the prem. The day we get there is the day the club really will lose touch with the fans. There won't be any home grown Bristolians in our team, it'll be mostly foreigners with the odd English man like Stoke. Obviously I want us to be as successful as we can, but the prem isn't the be all and end all

25 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

What's the point of being in the Prem without a suitable ground and facilities? Better to be there when we can make the most of it with corporate facilities and bigger attendences.

that being said, I couldn't care less about the prem. The day we get there is the day the club really will lose touch with the fans. There won't be any home grown Bristolians in our team, it'll be mostly foreigners with the odd English man like Stoke. Obviously I want us to be as successful as we can, but the prem isn't the be all and end all

Bournemouth and Fulham made it without having stadiums with massive capacities. Just getting there now guarantees a minimum of £120 Million a season. That's more than enough to build a new stand. All I'm concerned about now is finishing 4th from bottom and consolidating in the Championshop next season. I'm not interested in playing the Gas in Division 1 with a great ground. Give me a the prem and a poor ground and I'm happy

Yes SL has loaned us the money on our losses. As a genius in tax and finance,I am sure he has used that knowledge well. But the reason we have made losses season after season. Is because SL and the board have made poor decisions time after time. It's not the fans,players or managers fault. The buck stops with the owner and board. They are there to run the club. Not the fans, players or managers. 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Well he could go into the Megastore on Monday and buy a home shirt for £50M if he wanted to - income becomes greater than expenditure and FFP doesn't count.

Clearly a very crude way (and could be illegal) :whistle: 

However, where there's a creative accountant there's always a way. 

8 minutes ago, hodge said:

Maybe, I'm not 100% on how it all works, I admittedly wondered at the start of the season whether we would be getting a new lucrative sponsor or something ala Man City.

Yep, Man City sponsored by Etihad Airways which is owned by amongst others the half brother of Man City's owner Sheikh Mansour. 

Massive deal, very close "ties" all creatively accounted for. 

This season's failures have been almost purely down to Steve Cotterill's lack of ability to sell the club to our targets, and also down to his inability to recognise young talent in the lower leagues. Steve Lansdown was willing to fork out close to £9m on just ONE player. If that's not investment, I don't know what is. Personally, I feel we failed to make any good signings due to Steve Cotterill's poor reputation as a bit of a cry-baby and a turncoat, combined with a 3-5-2 formation that I don't think many players are that keen on. If we stay up this season, then we will push on and be in the Premier League in a couple of seasons. Guaranteed. Steve Lansdown is not naiive, evil, or whatever else you may think. He loves Bristol City Football Club. He doesn't like the rugby club more than us. It's the other way around. That's why the seats in the South Stand are red, not blue. He doesn't think that relegation is a better option than staying up, because that makes no sense at all. In the Championship, there's more ticket revenue and more TV revenue than in League One. So why would he want to be relegated? It just doesn't hold up to scrutiny. What we need to do is get behind the team, and stop accusing the board of being a bunch of evil villains plotting the club's downfall. Hopefully, we'll get a more competent manager that knows how to build a decent squad at this level.

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

Yeah, like Bolton!  Without SL's backing we would be in shite street.

Archived