IGNORED

I Give Up!

Webzcas

Why are people getting wound up by the bookies' odds on the next manager? It isn't linked to SL's mobile and the number of times he's called each potential candidate; it's linked to the general public and the amount of money and bets placed on each of those names, so you're outrage should be directed towards the strange folk that think Warnock has a very good chance of being our next permanent manager, not our board.

7 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It's either going to be Pemberton or Pemberton/Warnock, nobody else is either available, wants the job, or is wanted by the Board

Although the board think there were at least 30 out there.  What we don't know is whether most of these were fans having a giggle.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

Bristol Sport have absolutely nothing to do with the footballing decisions made by Bristol City FC.

How do you know the board don't have a clue. Sure recent past suggests that and probably I am expecting far too much but I am clinging to the hope that recent events may have led to some cathartic insight of the need to really step up in their thinking. Either Ashton is just going to continue the small town thinking or encourage the board to really go for top quality in managers and players. Have to wait and see but certainly big things need to happen and they need to happen soon.

1 hour ago, Webzcas said:

Probably to do with the fact however small the market, bookies are a good gauge. Add to the fact other than an interview with Ashton, nothing has been forthcoming from the boardroom.

lets face it, it doesn't look good at this point in time.

Bookies are a good gauge of what people know and what people think they know.  If there's inside information then clearly it's going to be skewer the odds but, if there's no inside information, it doesn't work the same way.  Ultimately the fact there's very strong odds on two managers when only one of them can get the job suggests there's no clear information emerging.

All I'd read from this at the moment is that the board haven't made a decision or shortlisted managers yet and, in the absence of that, people are expecting Pemberton to potentially reach ten games (or perhaps until the end of the season).  Meanwhile a lot of people have put money on Warnock as he's available.  It might be the board, after our Boro performance, thought (as many on here, including myself did) there was no rush to appoint if Pemberton was getting good performances from the team.  It might also be that, after Leeds, the board have decided they should start checking through those CVs.  Or it might be Pemberton does get it on a temporary basis.  But those odds are not sufficient for me to suggest any level of inside knowledge.  

The bookies odds are an irrelevance unless there is solid information. SL could get Nigel Pearson if he wanted to. It's not the same situation as getting a player where there are many factors involved as regards the attractiveness of BCFC. Pearson would become our manager if the deal is right. He's said as much on BBC Radio.

The situation remains unchanged as regards SL. Is he is willing to surrender control to someone who really knows about football and really knows how to take us to the Premiership?

What I truly hope won't happen again this time is the "Board" (what a laugh) appoint Pemberton (for whom I have great respect as a seemingly honest hard-working bloke) and then try and tell us the usual b***ocks that he was the outstanding candidate in an outstanding field.

5 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

SL could get Nigel Pearson if he wanted to. It's not the same situation as getting a player where there are many factors involved as regards the attractiveness of BCFC. Pearson would become our manager if the deal is right. He's said as much on BBC Radio.

The situation remains unchanged as regards SL. Is he is willing to surrender control to someone who really knows about football and really knows how to take us to the Premiership?

Steve Coppell was someone who really knew about football and how to get teams promoted and he was an utter disaster for us.  Malky Mackay knew how to get teams promoted from the Championship and took Wigan down. Paul Jewell was the man who originally got Wigan promoted and never really succeeded elsewhere.  Ditto Brian McDermott and Nigel Adkins have strugged to replicate earlier success.  Ian Holloway too.  I'm not saying Pearson would be a bad appointment but I am saying we need to get away from this idea that appointing someone who got a club promoted at a different club in different circumstances  is the guaranteed way to succeed.  Let's not forget Leicester were a big spending Championship club who were able to financially compete with and out-muscle most of the division.  We don't know if Pearson could succeed here in the same way.   Perhaps he could and perhaps he couldn't but the biggest name isn't always the right manager. 

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not another poster that thinks they've become ITK in the past couple of weeks! So many I can't keep up!

Did Mark Kelly fire Cotterill?

I've routinely piped up when things have been said on here which aren't true, thanks all the same.

I don't want to be associated with any person's name but they are prominent and have been mentioned elsewhere. Funnily enough Stadium Manager Mark Kelly it is not.

5 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

I've routinely piped up when things have been said on here which aren't true, thanks all the same.

I don't want to be associated with any person's name but they are prominent and have been mentioned elsewhere. Funnily enough Stadium Manager Mark Kelly it is not.

So you are saying it is not true that Bristol City Football Club make the footballing decisions? It is in fact the commercial arm, Bristol Sport?

I mean I can see how they have a vested interest in the success of the team, but actual footballing decisions?

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

So you are saying it is not true that Bristol City Football Club make the footballing decisions? It is in fact the commercial arm, Bristol Sport?

I mean I can see how they have a vested interest in the success of the team, but actual footballing decisions?

Largely BCFC make BCFC decisions. But the two businesses, naturally, overlap. Where 'strong' personalities feel like pushing their weight around, from Bristol Sport into Bristol City affairs, weaker-minded individuals might wilt and they can influence things which are little to do with their remit.

Short of naming names, that's pretty much the long and short of it. It's not necessarily a bad thing, people who can manipulate other people have always ended up with a huge amount of influence at football clubs far larger than ours.

Archived