IGNORED

Interviews

bs3

Have we interviewed anyone for the job of manager ? 

It does seem that Pemberton will stay in situ (according to the Bristol Post) until the end of the season, if this turns out to be the case why couldn't this have been sorted out two weeks ago and why did Mark Ashton say we would be shocked at the names who have applied for the job. This have all been handled very badly.

3 minutes ago, bs3 said:

It does seem that Pemberton will stay in situ (according to the Bristol Post) until the end of the season, if this turns out to be the case why couldn't this have been sorted out two weeks ago and why did Mark Ashton say we would be shocked at the names who have applied for the job. This have all been handled very badly.

Maybe he ment shocked in a bad way.

Like Gemma Collins and Dopey Darrell applied. ?

They've sorted the wheat from the chaff - I do know that much. 

My interview date has come through - mid-February. 

It's an interview, role play (ooh er) and competence test.... no continence test. 

If all goes well the final hurdle is bare-chested arm-wrestle with Steve (L).  

3 months notice at work - so I'm expecting to be in post around June and ready to save us from relegation. 

5 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Don't know what to believe. According to the post (Stockhausen) 2 days ago SL was involved in deciding the short list . Today it's Pemberton for the rest of the season. I think he just makes it up as he goes along.

I did not see any confirmation on the OS that its Pembo until the end of..

8 hours ago, bs3 said:

Have you considered that at least one of the managers they want may not be out currently out of work! .?

therefore a lets wait tiil end of season approach may be sensible for all parties.

i think some on here may well be surprised who is interested ( as ashton has said) and i am not sure that anything the board, or Mark Ashton has said or done since contradicts that.

• Admin
2 hours ago, djb6162 said:

Have you considered that at least one of the managers they want may not be out currently out of work! .?

therefore a lets wait tiil end of season approach may be sensible for all parties.

i think some on here may well be surprised who is interested ( as ashton has said) and i am not sure that anything the board, or Mark Ashton has said or done since contradicts that.

Unless the Manager has a contract that runs out at the end of the season I see no advantage to us at all - not sure why we would be gambling with our championship survival anyway ?? 

2 hours ago, citywest30 said:

Ooh @djb6162 is that said with a bitfbit of insider knowledge? Obviously you're not going to share but that suggests you think it may be Pembo till season end and then a man currently at a club signing in the summer. Can I guess? Does he want to finish his one shot at the Premier league before becoming our 'tinkerman' ;-) 

so yes like everyone i have some knowledge... that's not always a good thing by the way

I am not claiming it to be inside though !!

yes i think it will be pembo til the end of the season   (for lots of reasons)

yes you can guess... everyone else is.

But i wouldn't bet on your veiled suggestion if i were you.

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Unless the Manager has a contract that runs out at the end of the season I see no advantage to us at all - not sure why we would be gambling with our championship survival anyway ?? 

Hypothetical - no inside information.

But what if via his agent somebody like Mick McCarthy/Paul Lambert had expressed an interest in the job but for fairly obvious reasons neither would be willing to leave the job now. McCarthy (who in all honesty has been stagnating with Ipswich for a while now and is hamstrung by finances) may for example have said that IF Ipswich don't win promotion this season he may fancy a new challenge.

That would be a hypothetical scenario where the board may feel they potentially have some very good options in the summer - much better ones than they currently have.

That kind of scenario would fit with @djb6162 's post above that there may be some surprising names interested in the job but are in work and perhaps currently 'unavailable'.

10 hours ago, bs3 said:

Could you imagine the uproar amongst fans if the club had announced Cotterill's sacking & then said that Pemberton was in charge until at least the end of the season?

Especially without giving anyone a chance to apply for the job or without at least letting Pemberton have a few games to see how he was accepted / settled into the role.

Pemberton clearly has the dressing room on his side & those in charge are probably impressed with beating the league leaders & then two narrow losses  (one against an established premiership club & the other away to an established championship club).

It has given the club a chance to not rock the boat any more & with the couple of signings that have been made & that appear to be on the horizon, given the club the best chance of appearing to of stablized & allow the club to hand pick the person they really want.

By the way, I have no idea who they have their eyes on.

There is a problem with City waiting till the end of the season to appoint a new manager scenario. What if Pemberton is a success in the coming months and City comfortably avoid relegation? It would then be difficult to sack him. 

3 hours ago, djb6162 said:

Young, progressive coach, not currently out of work?

It has to be Eddie Howe!

:facepalm:

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

There is a problem with City waiting till the end of the season to appoint a new manager scenario. What if Pemberton is a success in the coming months and City comfortably avoid relegation? It would then be difficult to sack him. 

If he was only appointed until the end of the season then they wouldn't have to sack him. Millen guided us to safety and was then replaced by Coppell...

Due to many many years of pickling my brain with cans of Natch, I can't remember, but is this the longest we've had to wait for any news at all regarding the appointment of a new manager. When I first started going to games it was with Jimmy Lumsden in charge, obviously we've had what seems like a revolving door policy over the last 25 years but I can't recall the gaps between firing and announcement of the replacement. Granted there were some stand in appointments, Dave Burnside for example, but given our knife edge league position, the longer the wait goes on, the increasing frustration we are all feeling. That frustration reflects itself on match days in the atmosphere at the ground and across the media. 

24 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Pemberton clearly has the dressing room on his side & those in charge are probably impressed with beating the league leaders & then two narrow losses  (one against an established premiership club & the other away to an established championship club).

It has given the club a chance to not rock the boat any more & with the couple of signings that have been made & that appear to be on the horizon, given the club the best chance of appearing to of stablized & allow the club to hand pick the person they really want.

By the way, I have no idea who they have their eyes on.

pretty much agree with what you say here.

Which is why the likes of Colin, Redknapp etc were never going to be in the running. It would be just as big a gamble to appoint a short term outsider than a short term insider - possibly more so.

SL has made it clear time and time again  that BCFC don't do their dealings in public so we have little knowledge of what his intentions are in respect of the Manager. What we do know is that SL has stated that he intends to get us into the Prem and although that plan is on the sidings right now, the stadium continues to be on track.I would expect him to be very carefully identifying the next guy in charge and may choose to wait or be forced to wait for what he considers to be the right man.

Meanwhile, we will have signed more new players in the past week or so  than we have done in the past 8 months so it does look a bit better. If Pembo continues in the role for the time being through choice or necessity then so be it.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But what if via his agent somebody like Mick McCarthy/Paul Lambert had expressed an interest in the job but for fairly obvious reasons neither would be willing to leave the job now. McCarthy (who in all honesty has been stagnating with Ipswich for a while now and is hamstrung by finances) may for example have said that IF Ipswich don't win promotion this season he may fancy a new challenge.

That would be a hypothetical scenario where the board may feel they potentially have some very good options in the summer - much better ones than they currently have.

That kind of scenario would fit with @djb6162 's post above that there may be some surprising names interested in the job but are in work and perhaps currently 'unavailable'.

Would love McCarthy Kid but I'm sure I heard him and TC have just signed a new contract

57 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If he was only appointed until the end of the season then they wouldn't have to sack him. Millen guided us to safety and was then replaced by Coppell...

That's true, but Millen was in charge for only 9 or 10 matches. If Pemberton stays till the summer he will have been in charge for half  a season, making it difficult to replace him as manager, even though he technically wouldn't be sacked. Assuming he does well in this period

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

That's true, but Millen was in charge for only 9 or 10 matches. If Pemberton stays till the summer he will have been in charge for half  a season, making it difficult to replace him as manager, even though he technically wouldn't be sacked. Assuming he does well in this period

Well, that's where the board have to be ruthless...

Could be anything. Maybe an employed manager knows his days are numbered and is waiting to get the sack and the £££ but has applied anyway! 

What if Cotterill gets employed in the next few days and decides to take Pemberton with him, has anyone though of that!

lots of if, buts and maybe's, but it wouldn't be Bristol City without them would it now?

22 minutes ago, RedM said:

What if Cotterill gets employed in the next few days and decides to take Pemberton with him, has anyone though of that!

We obviously wouldn't let Pemberton go, unless we had a replacement lined up.

SC will take his bestie Steve Allen with him though, so I'd imagine we'll be looking for a new physio in the not to distant future.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Provided it's not LVG, Steve McClaren, Russell Slade or Dopey ...

5 hours ago, djb6162 said:

Not trying to put you in an awkward position, @djb6162 but would I be likely to be surprised in a good way?

Archived