IGNORED

Interviews

bs3

If the Board are doing the appointment properly, unlike last time for example, then I am not surprised at the current timescale.

Hopefully they will interview more than one person and have more than one interview.  I would suggest two sets of interviews at the minimum plus some sort of paper/video exercise, maybe even three interviews.  The first with Ashton and JL, the second with The Board, and finally with SL.

But knowing City you all may be right and it doesn't take this length of time to make one phone call or have a couple of drinks in some bar off a motorway !

19 hours ago, bs3 said:

Have we interviewed anyone for the job of manager ? 

It does seem that Pemberton will stay in situ (according to the Bristol Post) until the end of the season, if this turns out to be the case why couldn't this have been sorted out two weeks ago and why did Mark Ashton say we would be shocked at the names who have applied for the job. This have all been handled very badly.

Apparently yes in Canterbury

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Hypothetical - no inside information.

But what if via his agent somebody like Mick McCarthy/Paul Lambert had expressed an interest in the job but for fairly obvious reasons neither would be willing to leave the job now. McCarthy (who in all honesty has been stagnating with Ipswich for a while now and is hamstrung by finances) may for example have said that IF Ipswich don't win promotion this season he may fancy a new challenge.

That would be a hypothetical scenario where the board may feel they potentially have some very good options in the summer - much better ones than they currently have.

That kind of scenario would fit with @djb6162 's post above that there may be some surprising names interested in the job but are in work and perhaps currently 'unavailable'.

I'd be monumentally disappointed with McCarthy mainly because he's so excessively Northern.  Or Irish.

I think this is all about Roberto Martinez.  If he goes then LVG will resign and start out at Goodison. That leaves Mourinho free to take up the ManUre fight.  I'm fairly confident Mourinho wants to manage us but could be charmed away by ManUre.  It would be surprising at least.

8 hours ago, pongo88 said:

There is a problem with City waiting till the end of the season to appoint a new manager scenario. What if Pemberton is a success in the coming months and City comfortably avoid relegation? It would then be difficult to sack him. 

If Pembo stays in charge and we comfortably avoid relegation then why should he be sacked/released?

If it's Pemberton until the end of the season then I really don't understand why they sacked Cotterill. That would seem at least as big a gamble as it would have been to stick with him.

Surely the intention was to recruit an experienced man in the Pearson / Warnock mould to steer us away from trouble. If it's not Pemberton then what are we waiting for?

8 hours ago, pongo88 said:

There is a problem with City waiting till the end of the season to appoint a new manager scenario. What if Pemberton is a success in the coming months and City comfortably avoid relegation? It would then be difficult to sack him. 

I don't see any problem with this scenario at all. This is one thing that sorts the men from the boys in the dog eat dog world of professional football. John Pemberton will understand.

If we are still a Championship club next summer is John Pemberton the best man we can hire to manage the first team?

Yes: there is no one more experienced or capable of managing in this league. Give him the job then.

Or

No: 4 months experience of being the boss is no match for ........ these 3 candidates who have succeeded in this league or higher before. Thanks John, but we are going to appoint someone with a recent promotion from this league (for example) on his cv.

Just because it seems a bit off or not what we have done before not keeping JP on after 4 months success, or a bit awkward saying "thanks, but ..." doesn't mean it is not the right thing to do for the club. It's time to do the right thing for the club, rather than what deels like the decent thing to do, which means being hard-headed and ruthless.

9 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

To fail to recognise how internal recruitment has failed us in the long-term in the past would be very naive.

To fail to recognise that some of the top managers in the world have been internal recruitment would be very naive- see Benfica in 2000 although they ultimately lost said manager after 9 games.

28 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Disagree, SC had no plan B re tactics

SC failed in summer to strengthen a squad he believed was good enough even tho it wasn't as good as last season's

SC had become truculent 

Pembo has brought a breath of fresh air and sensible ideas

Be that as it may - and I don't disagree with you - I still don't think it is any less of a gamble to go with an inexperienced man who was very much a part of the regime that failed as you describe. And I don't believe Cotterill was sacked with the intention of appointing Pemberton.

28 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

To fail to recognise how internal recruitment has failed us in the long-term in the past would be very naive.

I'm not saying Pembo would be the long term answer and I'm not even sure I'd want him to be however, say we win 75% of our remaining games this season  (I know I know) then surely it'll be mad not to consider him just because of Millen. Barca took the plunge with Pep and he turned out alright. 

I guess I'm just fed up with the obsession of having to name a big named manager when I'd rather the club at least considered all options 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Disagree, SC had no plan B re tactics

SC failed in summer to strengthen a squad he believed was good enough even tho it wasn't as good as last season's

SC had become truculent 

Pembo has brought a breath of fresh air and sensible ideas

Pembo has just listened to the fans and implemented it, Saturday's game will define him as a manager - win and I can see him staying as our manager, lose and that's the end of his short spell 

40 minutes ago, City169 said:

To fail to recognise that some of the top managers in the world have been internal recruitment would be very naive- see Benfica in 2000 although they ultimately lost said manager after 9 games.

1) Are you suggesting that John Pemberton is a "top manager"?

2) Why would you deem my post irrelevant, despite the fact it refers to a similar situation this club has been through before, and instead consider a completely different club with a completely different situation and resources to be relevant?

22 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

1) Are you suggesting that John Pemberton is a "top manager"?

2) Why would you deem my post irrelevant, despite the fact it refers to a similar situation this club has been through before, and instead consider a completely different club with a completely different situation and resources to be relevant?

I'm not suggesting Pemerton is or could be a top manager, I'm making the point that any clubs assistant manager/coach could potentially be a top manager/head coach, and you won't ever know one way or the other without giving them a try. The biggest reason people are citing for not giving Pemberton a chance is that he hasn't got the experience of managing a championship club, but that can be said about anyone trying to become a manager at any level, and how else does someone get experience?

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

On the contrary.

Simply sarcasm - young, progressive and just what we are looking for, but way out of our reach at present.

Phew! Glad I misread that!

I'd have been gutted if people were dismissing young English managers who've had great success, but as you said, that alone means we can't attract guys like that....

12 minutes ago, City169 said:

I'm not suggesting Pemerton is or could be a top manager, I'm making the point that any clubs assistant manager/coach could potentially be a top manager/head coach, and you won't ever know one way or the other without giving them a try. The biggest reason people are citing for not giving Pemberton a chance is that he hasn't got the experience of managing a championship club, but that can be said about anyone trying to become a manager at any level, and how else does someone get experience?

I'd rather we have a bloke that made his inevitable mistakes somewhere else, mistakes he's now learned from. That's what I mean by experience. Ideally, you want someone who has been both successful and has failed, as there is much to learn from both. I think Cotts benefitted from a lot of his previous experience and we got the best of him, up until last summer of course.

If the club are serious about the PL thing, then it's difficult to see how Pemberton can be the best man for the job. Unless he performs miracles between now and May

Archived