IGNORED

John Pemberton manager

paulcitymod

I don't think I've ever started a thread before so here goes.  I'm very impressed with the way John Pemberton has performed on and off the pitch this last week or so. I like his plain and clear speak too.

There are no messiah's.  I run a business myself and and know its about organisation and everyone knowing quite clearly what they are doing or supposed to do.  The ruthless way he appears to be re-organising the squad, and secured extremely competent reinforcements in record time for survival and more has surpassed my expectations.  This is not a Millen situation.  

I'm warming fast. Hats off to you so far Mr Pemberton

5 minutes ago, paulcitymod said:

There are no messiah's.  I run a business myself and and know its about organisation and everyone knowing quite clearly what they are doing or supposed to do.  The ruthless way he appears to be re-organising the squad, and secured extremely competent reinforcements in record time for survival and more has surpassed my expectations.  This is not a Millen situation.  

In Millen's initial caretaker spell before Coppell came in, we lost 1 in 9 games. Pemberton has lost 2 in 3 games so far.

He comes across well in his interviews but I do hope he is not made full-time manager, without meaning any disrespect to the guy. Appointing Pemberton doesn't warrant the sacking of SC at all, in my opinion. So I hope we are going to bring in an experienced manager, whilst I also hope Pembo stays on as part of the backroom staff, as he's clearly respected and has done a good job previously.

8 minutes ago, paulcitymod said:

I don't think I've ever started a thread before so here goes.  I'm very impressed with the way John Pemberton has performed on and off the pitch this last week or so. I like his plain and clear speak too.

I agree. JP has been a solid man at the helm. Since Cotts left he has held a steady ship. City have increased their teamsheet with quality signings and I don't see why we need to rush into appointing someone else in haste. Pemberton has been at City for long enough to know all of the players characters, abilities and weaknesses. I feel he could be just the man to steer us up the league, and ensure we get to build a strong team next season, perhaps as a base for a new, more experienced, manager to take over the reins, and satisfied with a job well done.

Just see how things go, so far so good, but I suspect we have somebody in mind who might join us in the summer (Appleton? Edinburgh?). As I said many times when there was doom & gloom about this, just keep an open mind, there is no magic formula to finding the right manager. If we stay up, I just hope that expectations remain realistic, at this level we are not a big club, and mid table respectability would be a good progression.

I'd take a lucky manager at this point in time.

Whatever happened to Cotts's lucky underpants?  

I would like to think we will appoint a new man...and that he meets with almost universal approval from the fans.

Pembo is probably gonna be 2 games away from replacement over the next 6 weeks.  I hope we get an uplift in results.  Pembo getting us safe, so that we can attract the right man in the summer is the best outcome.  if so, the new man in will be taking over a team in The Championship.

4 hours ago, paulcitymod said:

Its exactly this-Millen all over again,potentially.a good bloke,nice man,honest as the day is long and may be 'OK' very short term.that's just not good enough.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I'd take a lucky manager at this point in time.

Whatever happened to Cotts's lucky underpants?  

I would like to think we will appoint a new man...and that he meets with almost universal approval from the fans.

Pembo is probably gonna be 2 games away from replacement over the next 6 weeks.  I hope we get an uplift in results.  Pembo getting us safe, so that we can attract the right man in the summer is the best outcome.  if so, the new man in will be taking over a team in The Championship.

I hate to think…:shocking: 

3 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Its exactly this-Millen all over again,potentially.a good bloke,nice man,honest as the day is long and may be 'OK' very short term.that's just not good enough.

He seems like a really decent bloke, I wouldn't want to put him through it…

I'd like him to stay at BCFC as he obviously loves the club.

I think he has steadied the ship, tightened up defensively and done well on the transfer front in the last couple of weeks. 

His knowledge and relationship with the players leads me to think that he probably is our best option for now. I think we have someone lined up to take over in the summer if we stay in the championship. 

If we were to lose our next 3/4 games then maybe a "Warnock" type appointment for the rest of the season to try and rescue the situation. 

8 hours ago, Chappers said:

Just see how things go, so far so good, but I suspect we have somebody in mind who might join us in the summer (Appleton? Edinburgh?). As I said many times when there was doom & gloom about this, just keep an open mind, there is no magic formula to finding the right manager. If we stay up, I just hope that expectations remain realistic, at this level we are not a big club, and mid table respectability would be a good progression.

Appleton or Edinburgh, don't make me laugh!!!

I have a feeling that we will keep Pembo in charge until the end of the season now. Then when we stay up I am hoping we will appoint a big name. Pembo has got players in, speaks well but I wish that the board would see Neil Warnock as a short term answer (not long term) to achieve safety, but I don't think they will. We have to stay up. I don't want to look back and think 'we should have done this'. No disrespect, but I don't see the point of getting rid of SC and putting second in command in charge to try and keep us up.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

He seems like a really decent bloke, I wouldn't want to put him through it

I'd like him to stay at BCFC as he obviously loves the club.

This...

Maybe, just maybe, he's got it in him. But the Millen experience was surely that however nice someone is either they are a convincing leader or they aren't…and I felt sorry for Keith because he isn't that sort of personality. I've seen no evidence that John Pemberton is. As a club we seem to have a knack of appointing managers from within who never work in that position again…Millen, Tinnion, Fawthrop…can't say that I believe it works. Either you want to be the boss and set out in your career to be that person, or you support others. Nothing wrong with either approach, but I'd feel more comfortable with us appointing someone with experience of being the leader and the self confidence to paint a vision of the future which we can buy into.

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

This...

Maybe, just maybe, he's got it in him. But the Millen experience was surely that however nice someone is either they are a convincing leader or they aren't…and I felt sorry for Keith because he isn't that sort of personality. I've seen no evidence that John Pemberton is. As a club we seem to have a knack of appointing managers from within who never work in that position again…Millen, Tinnion, Fawthrop…can't say that I believe it works. Either you want to be the boss and set out in your career to be that person, or you support others. Nothing wrong with either approach, but I'd feel more comfortable with us appointing someone with experience of being the leader and the self confidence to paint a vision of the future which we can buy into.

Going further back you forgot Jimmy Lumsden as well, who inherited the best legacy of any City manager in my lifetime, the 89/90 promotion side to which Joe Jordan then added the experience at the back of Mark Aizlewood, Andy May in midfield and Wayne Allison up front and as yet as soon as Lumsden started making his own decisions (signing Terry Connor, ridiculously selling Bob Taylor to buy Dziekanowski) we were sinking fast and would have gone down if we hadn't sacked him, as Denis Smith at least facilitated a short term revival that year.

I like Pemberton and genuinely think he is worth having at the club as a coach, but he isn't the man to take us forward.

It already seems like too late to get someone else in now unfortunately (although I'm happy enough with Pembo tbg).

At the end of the day a new manager wouldn't guarantee anything and I think I'd be happier having someone in charge who genuinely cares about the club rather than a short-term appointment (say Warnock) who would only be here a few months and if we did go down wouldn't really be that bothered and just wash his hands of it.

3 hours ago, Chappers said:

Note - Millen took us to 15th in Championship, we have not bettered that since. Joe Jordan was an internal appointment, but that doesn't count because it disproves whatever it is we are trying to prove. Ålan Dicks had no managerial experience.

yeah but he had a massive budget, granted he didn't sign any of the players apart from Stead. (and Woolford, Caulker + Rose of course)

2 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

yeah but he had a massive budget, granted he didn't sign any of the players apart from Stead. (and Woolford, Caulker + Rose of course)

I thought he had a limited budget after Cops spent it all on James, Hunt and Stewart, and had a number of highly paid players he did not want. 

12 hours ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Appleton or Edinburgh, don't make me laugh!!!

Carlisle fans probably said much the same thing when they appointed an unknown Bill Shankly as manager in 1949 when he had zero experience as a thirty-something.....he only lost 22 of 95 games in charge of the Cumbrians and was revolutionary - for example he'd regularly explain team changes over the public address system so the fans were kept in the loop....and one of his players at Carlisle was Geoff Twentyman's dad and I haven't a clue why I felt that was worthy of a mention!

I'm reserving judgement on the Permbo/Wade combo until after tomorrow's game.

Middlesborough was an excellent result but a degree of that performance will have been 'reaction', while WBA was not really indicative of anything, and Leeds was a grim but close game, where I seriously believe having what we do now in the shape of an actual left back and a creative player who isn't ridiculously out of form, then it could have been different.

Tomorrow, we'll have as good a set of playing options as we've had since the summer, and if we can look as resilient as we did for the vast majority of the Leeds and WBA games, and get Tomlin on to produce something unexpected, then I think we could get something.  

And if we do, then you have to question shaking things up again in the short term.  I think Pemberton has a future here as part of the set up, though not manager long term, unless things go dramatically well.

It is all about clawing our way to safety, then building on that this summer with the New Gate in place, and the ability to punch a little harder financially.  That would be the perfect time to appoint someone who can make the aim of Premier League football real.

18 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

The experienced manager he took over from signed a bunch of highly paid duds, and yet he managed to bring in some decent temporary signings that season and do well.  

Millen may not have been the long term answer, and giving him a long term deal was not the best idea, but he did undeniably well that year, regardless of budget, and certainly in the circumstances.

There is a certain coincidence that part of why he lost his job was from trying to go after unobtainable targets in his full summer; smart recruitment is so important.

4 hours ago, Chappers said:

Note - Millen took us to 15th in Championship, we have not bettered that since. Joe Jordan was an internal appointment, but that doesn't count because it disproves whatever it is we are trying to prove. Ålan Dicks had no managerial experience.

Whereas ignoring the experience of Fawthrop, Lumsden and Tinnion does exactly the same in reverse...

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Whereas ignoring the experience of Fawthrop, Lumsden and Tinnion does exactly the same in reverse...

Just making the point that there is no magic formula and no certainties in football. There are good and bad examples with all types of appointment, and there are very few managers where you can be certain they will do well. Even Clough snr had failures. 

We have had years of clueless spending, short term plans, collapses and achieved little. We are still at risk of relegation, so that's top priority. I like the look of some of the low profile signings and it looks like we are, at long last, doing things the right way. We cannot compete financially with the top Championship clubs, so we have to get the foundations right and compete within our budget. 

Archived