IGNORED

Lee Tomlin

Londoner

From my seat in the South Stand it looked like he was caught, tried to stay up, then lost balance. At the time I thought the reason it wasn't given was because he'd tried to stay up and so it looked like he'd gone down late as an act of bad theatrics. But maybe it was just bad theatrics...we'll see later!

However he continued to remonstrate with the ref at HT which to me suggests he thinks he was fouled. If you've dived and been caught out, you act all innocent at the time when you're getting booked to try and save some face, but you don't then continue to berate the ref about it. 

I noticed the ref speaking to Tomlin individually before KO for the second half also, I wondered if he'd reviewed it at HT (do they have the ability to do this?) and let him know his opinion on whether he'd got it right or wrong.

To be honest he could have been speared with a harpoon by the defender and the referee wouldn't have given it...

Don't care if he dived, we need to be cynical when we are where we are in the league.

For me I liked how he was encouraging and giving instruction to the other lads especially Freeman and Reid. 

If they learn something from his experience then excellent. 

4 minutes ago, samo II said:

That picture is pretty damning.

Tomlin said he felt contact and went down because of it on the radio, but if that picture shows what we all see, it is bonkers that the ref doesn't give it, even if he manages to retain his footing initially.

Exactly. What ever happened to 'advantage'. If you're a striker you are in their box you are at a disadvantage if you try to ride a tackle. Absolutely bonkers. 

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Exactly. What ever happened to 'advantage'. If you're a striker you are in their box you are at a disadvantage if you try to ride a tackle. Absolutely bonkers. 

Precisely.  

The modern game has a complex when it come to issues like this; refs shy away from decisions based on what you mention for fear of falling for cheating, due to the way they are assessed, as from my understanding from someone who has been one, they are more harshly marked for giving non-penalties than not giving ones based on interpretation, meaning; seeing it and calling it as a dive incorrectly is better for you than awarding a penalty based on your immediate judgement, even if incorrect.

In this case, we're doubly punished as Tomlin is booked AND we lose the penalty, while the official actually benefits from his error.

They are human, and make mistakes; I accept that if course.  But that approach in terms of assessment doesn't help the area you identify; playing advantage.

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Should of gone down when he was clipped not afger

It harsh to knock him for trying to keep going.  Remember Michael Owen once riding three wild challenges for Liverpool, having an attempt, then being given the penalty for the illegal challenges - ref and his assistants should do better, not Tomlin.

1 minute ago, samo II said:

Precisely.  

The modern game has a complex when it come to issues like this; refs shy away from decisions based on what you mention for fear of falling for cheating, due to the way they are assessed, as from my understanding from someone who has been one, they are more harshly marked for giving non-penalties than not giving ones based on interpretation, meaning; seeing it and calling it as a dive incorrectly is better for you than awarding a penalty based on your immediate judgement, even if incorrect.

In this case, we're doubly punished as Tomlin is booked AND we lose the penalty, while the official actually benefits from his error.

They are human, and make mistakes; I accept that if course.  But that approach in terms of assessment doesn't help the area you identify; playing advantage.

It harsh to knock him for trying to keep going.  Remember Michael Owen once riding three wild challenges for Liverpool, having an attempt, then being given the penalty for the illegal challenges - ref and his assistants should do better, not Tomlin.

Well my point is he dived, he clearly was clipped based on the photo but he was passed his man then went down. He should of gone for goal rather than diving looking for the oenalty

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

Looked a class above today. He will be huge for us. Picked up pockets, great balls and a decent shot....clearly not fully fit. Very similar to a Ross McCormack.

shocking dive for the penalty though.

Absolutely right. Linked up well with Golbourne too.

And I agree about the dive. Made a conscious decision to get in the box and go down rather than stay on his feet. 

Shame. His only low point.

3 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Well my point is he dived, he clearly was clipped based on the photo but he was passed his man then went down. He should of gone for goal rather than diving looking for the oenalty

If he went down where he was in the picture he would have had to throw himself to the floor and dive, momentum and trying to stay on your feet will naturally take you further

3 minutes ago, City169 said:

If he went down where he was in the picture he would have had to throw himself to the floor and dive, momentum and trying to stay on your feet will naturally take you further

Maybe so, but he still dived, it wasn't momentum that took him down it was his decision, if he had gone down earlier it would of looked a far better shout where i was.

Like I said, where I was sitting I was pretty certain he dived, and that when the whistle went I was expecting a card not a penalty...

We see it all the time, people diving after the tackle is made, today was a perfect example.

7 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I didnt see a delay in him going down after he was clipped, anyway you said initially before the picture  came out there was no contact and he dived, now post picture its he dived after he was clipped and there was a delay in his diving, so how can you say there was a delay in him diving if you didnt even see the contact ?

2 minutes ago, tts_city said:

I didnt see a delay in him going down after he was clipped, anyway you said initially before the picture  came out there was no contact and he dived, now post picture its he dived after he was clipped and there was a delay in his diving, so how can you say there was a delay in him diving if you didnt even see the contact ?

He went down after he was past the man, I've made it clear that I thought tomlin looked class today and I certainly wouldn't be saying this if I didn't think it was what I saw.

At the time I thought ref got the decision right and I certainly stand by the fact that he dived. Touched previously or not.

3 minutes ago, Londoner said:

He went down after he was past the man, I've made it clear that I thought tomlin looked class today and I certainly wouldn't be saying this if I didn't think it was what I saw.

At the time I thought ref got the decision right and I certainly stand by the fact that he dived. Touched previously or not.

Well you've gone from no contact to contact but he went down late, so maybe a view of the video might shed even more light on it.

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Of course he did its called momentum. I thought the ref had a complete shocker, this being one of his worst.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well done to you as well for saying no contact to well yes contact but.......................................

End of the day didn't think it was a penalty, thought he dived and ref didn't give it. So pointless continuing this conversation any further.

Did he get booked for the five or the combination of going down on top of the ball and trying to make the decision for the referee?

He looked like he shuffled his feet sat from the other side of the goal and stumbled round the defender, didn't see the actual foul. Until referees start giving free kicks for fouls regardless of players staying on their feet, you will not eradicate diving or simulation - freeman had one in the second half where he was kicked about 4 times before running the ball out of play.

Impressed by Tomlin, will wait to pass judgement for a couple more games - he's here to create chances which he did today, looks a promising loanee

As for the formation; I guess Pemberton asked where he wants to play and built his front line around that - he said Joe Bryan's injury has been an ongoing niggle so he'd have known he might need to be rested well before signing Tomlin

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Was in the Atyeo, if he did dive then he deserved his card and I hope he gets an earful.

he did dive and I say well done pal. We need more of that if we're going to stay up. On another day the Ref would give it and we'd have 3 points. You don't win games by being nice and fair and that's what we've done to much of this season, if you're in the box and there's contact GO DOWN!

Archived