IGNORED

Luke Freeman

gordie

Haven't noticed another thread about Luke Freeman so thought I would start it off, I thought he looked back to almost his best today bar a few moments, taking players on put some good ball into the box defended back well, thought he looked so much better out wide than in that central position at this level, long may it continue.

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

He still has a weird hold over the majority of the fanbase.

This is a bloke without an open play assist all season...

Not his fault that Flint missed a sitter last week from his assist, not his fault Agard completely missed a great chance from his 'assist' today ...... Etc

What is the definition of what is an assist and what's not ?

Stats stats stats :grr:

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Would have had an assist today if Kodjia attacked the six yard box instead of standing on his heels. What more could he do than put a cross on a plate for a simple tap in?

42 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Good first half, crap second until a fantastic cross that Agard should have buried.

40 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Great first half,  Awful second half, completely ineffective. 

Edit to give him credit for that cross which I forgot about! So frustrating though to see him continuously turn away from goal instead of trying to beat his man. 

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen is why we love football soooo freakin' much !!  :clapping:

I think the extra competition for places has helped sharpen the mind, he was almost back to his best today, if we can get him firing regularly again and tomlin more match sharpness i think we can be a real force for the remaining games, especially if we can get another striker, we are certainly a handful in midfield now and we finally have decent options in a few positions.

Sounded like having Tomlin (& Reid, to be fair) alongside him in that trio of attacking midfielders really spurred him on.

I honestly think the responsibility of being THE main creative player for us for the majority of the season, primarily due to our slavish devotion to 352 at all costs diminished his contribution, and having the likes of Tomlin there to occupy defenders will improve him.

After last week's game the talk was of his slightly negative decision making.  Well, in the highlights this week he seemed forward thinking and aggressive with it, and long may it continue.

As has been lacking the whole season; having people on the bench or the pitch who could take his place may force him to up his game too, so we can only benefit from this situation.

I thought for this season it was one of Freeman's better performances today. It was interesting to see him played on the right-hand side. It was also good to see him and Reid in the same side - together with Tomlinson and Kodjia they caused Brum all sorts of problems, especially in the opening 15 mins. He faded in the second half, but he wasn't the only one.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

You can play statistics or maybe watch the game. Personally I find the later more fun and usually more informative. 

5 minutes ago, Kodjia 22 said:

Was the Luke freeman we love to watch in the first 60 minutes, but then what should be expect when played in his natural position (wide left or right) it showed for me!

Always thought most effective out wide, even last year a lot of his best stuff was from slightly wider positions, but the previous manager decided otherwise, was very good at times today.

10 minutes ago, reddoc said:

You can play statistics or maybe watch the game. Personally I find the later more fun and usually more informative. 

Not sure what the point is here? No assists from your main playmaker with time running out in the season is apalling whatever way you look at it. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not sure what the point is here? No assists from your main playmaker with time running out in the season is apalling whatever way you look at it. 

I guess the point is, firstly I couldn't argue that of course 'statistically', but if I were to try I'd suggest that if he were creating chances and our strikers are not converting them then technically these stats are meaningless. 

1 hour ago, reddoc said:

I guess the point is, firstly I couldn't argue that of course 'statistically', but if I were to try I'd suggest that if he were creating chances and our strikers are not converting them then technically these stats are meaningless. 

Agreed but I can't see that he's creating a lot, certainly stark in contrast to last season. 

27 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Agreed but I can't see that he's creating a lot, certainly stark in contrast to last season. 

Well he created a good chance for kodjia in the first half who didn't even bother attempting to get into a dangerous position and just stood on the penalty spot, hidden behind a few Birmingham players whereas a natural goal scorer would have made a dart across the box for the simple tap in.

Also sent in a very good cross that Agard, inexplicably completely missed in the second half.

Throw back to last week where he put a very good ball in for Flint to head wide, unmarked from 6 yards. That's only in the last two games, not particularly looked out for it in the previous games.

Freeman is a good player at this level when utilised correctly. Anybody would struggle when every single bit of creative play has to go through them alone as it has for the last 20 odd games whilst playing 352.

I think Tomlin and a more attacking Pack (who I thought was excellent today) will take some of the pressure off of him and hopefully we will see the best of Luke Freeman.

Played very well today, not quite man of the match, but not far off it.

A good player who, if he were to leave, I have no doubt would excel at another club. 

Archived