IGNORED

Darren Bent (MERGED)

Ashtonwurzel

• Admin
15 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Hmmm. Will we see a tweet from Stockhausen in an hour confirming he's coming here then? The reverse of his usual pattern where he links us then rubbishes it a couple of hours later...

11 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Hmmm. Will we see a tweet from Stockhausen in an hour confirming he's coming here then? The reverse of his usual pattern where he links us then rubbishes it a couple of hours later...

Yup, I'm still laughing that someone further up the thread mentions him being 50/50. Surely that would have to mean that he is right half the time??? :blink:

Not sure what the obsession with Bent is, he's been spent for some years now.  He's 31 and for a pace player that's the tail end of your best years, whatever Villa did to him when they messed him about and benched him for the best part of 2 seasons has not done him any favours.  I'd much rather we sign for the future than take a gamble on a player who clearly has issues, and its expensive too boot.

I'd rather sign Jay Simpson from LO if were going for players with baggage.

9 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Not sure what the obsession with Bent is, he's been spent for some years now.  He's 31 and for a pace player that's the tail end of your best years, whatever Villa did to him when they messed him about and benched him for the best part of 2 seasons has not done him any favours.  I'd much rather we sign for the future than take a gamble on a player who clearly has issues, and its expensive too boot.

I'd rather sign Jay Simpson from LO if were going for players with baggage.

Exactly. Think it would be a bad idea.

It never works out with these ex prem players. High wages, no motivation.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Surely this would be David James all over again?

Could always structure/fudge it so we pay a loan fee and wages within a budget. Let's be honest if Bent was £10k pw plus £500k over three months that'd be accepted as a shrewd move, but in reality it amounts to the same as paying £40k pw or however the maths equates. 

50 minutes ago, Reds2016 said:

Exactly. Think it would be a bad idea.

It never works out with these ex prem players. High wages, no motivation.

Can't sign up and coming lower league players because of lack of experience, can't sign overseas players because they we/they are an unknown quantity and can't sign experienced "stars" because of their wages and lack of motivation. Where the **** does that leave us then?

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Can't sign up and coming lower league players because of lack of experience, can't sign overseas players because they we/they are an unknown quantity and can't sign experienced "stars" because of their wages and lack of motivation. Where the **** does that leave us then?

Sat in the wilderness with a rudimentary toilet whittling effergies of SL and co ??

This is gonna sound devil's advocate or contrary for the hell of it but. I would welcome the signing but...

How do we know Bent will fit our style of play?

Is a 'poacher' the best fit?

Are we gonna play to his strengths, or will he adapt to ours?

Bent could be an excellent addition. Perhaps should be but it's no sure thing. If we play counterattack a poacher isn't such an ideal fit.

Maybe could combine with Kodjia pace and poaching but interesting how we would set up... Bent isn't a terribly tactically sophisticated player.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Would rather the two you just mentioned. Lower league or overseas. 

I happen to think Lee tomlin is a great signing.

just not the David James, Marcus Stewart's and Kevin bridges that we've had!

7 minutes ago, Reds2016 said:

Would rather the two you just mentioned. Lower league or overseas. 

I happen to think Lee tomlin is a great signing.

just not the David James, Marcus Stewart's and Kevin bridges that we've had!

You mean Michael Bridges - David James, Marcus Stewart and Kevin Bridges are all comedians

Archived