IGNORED

A bit of perspective / A bit more positive (MERGED)

marmite

Now that the window is closed and the dust has settled, lets have a look at the situation. We have brought in some good additions without losing any of our own. We have not been held to ransom by some greedy agent/player over ridiculous wages and fees. Anyone who watches us regularly will know that if we continue to play as we are, then the goals and points will come. The ground is full every home game with passionate supporters getting behind the team. To listen to some on here you would think we were 10 points adrift and playing badly. That is not the case. I

I think the sword of 1982 still hangs over us and I remember well enough how close we came to losing OUR club forever. Its easy on here to suggest new players and tell SL to dig deep and pay inflated salaries but  that brings no guarantees of success. We are already losing massive amounts of money each year and that cannot continue, but we must trust the people in charge to get that sorted. Some on here ask SL to spend millions of his cash, and then threaten not to spend a few hundred on a season ticket. Not so easy when its your own money is it?

Things can change quickly and a couple of good results, a decent loan striker if we can get one, and a progressive manager, will have us all believing again as sure as spring is coming. Don't forget our unofficial motto...we always believe. Don't stop believing now.

• Admin

We don't have a manager and we still have only two strikers

Wilbs & Kodjia

Agard's a right winger.

Goals from midfield-only Tomlin the rest couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo unless Gladwin plays instead of getting splinters on his arse from the bench.

Our only hope is that three clubs do worse than us.

Not replacing Tavernier, Cunningham, Elliott, Smith and JET correctly over the summer plus having two defenders who have no future here (El Abd, Osborne) and only one keeper for just Kodjia in on perm. Also the Fredericks in and out was disastrous...this was before the loanees but they were a mixed bag I thought.

Sum total of loss of those players, and the disruption weakened our position IMMENSELY I think. This January some of the damage has been put right but still...is Gladwin/Reid a like for like quality wise replacement for Elliott? Jury is out I think tho both are young and deserve a fair crack.O'Donnell, Pearce, Golbourne good. Tomlin yep good but we're still down on quality cover for Little, still down on a much needed prolific goalscorer or experienced at this level anyways.Kodjia isn't bad considering, but he alone won't fire us to safety.

Improved but still short I fear and the year as a whole, a bit of a waste, considering our position in May 2015

41 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

With the absence (currently) of an additional goal scorer, I would say that Gladwin has to start in place of Reid, so that there are more goals from midfield potential. 

After being subbed on the hour on his debut at Leeds, and then being left out against Brum, it seems Gladwin arrived very much lacking match fitness.

You'd assume he was brought in to be played so if he's deemed ready for Saturday, and has impressed in training, no doubt he will feature in the team for Charlton.

35 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

After being subbed on the hour on his debut at Leeds, and then being left out against Brum, it seems Gladwin arrived very much lacking match fitness.

You'd assume he was brought in to be played so if he's deemed ready for Saturday, and has impressed in training, no doubt he will feature in the team for Charlton.

You would expect, looking at recent formations and personnel brought in, that Pemberton would like to play Gladwin, Freeman and Tomlin behind Kodjia. Had we got in another central/defensive midfielder in then Smith and new guy would have anchored the midfield, but it'll be Smith and Pack by default now. That's actually a very competitive looking front 6 players, just need them to gel, get fit and for no one to get injured

I fully understand and share everyone's disappointment and frustration that we didn't get the couple of players we needed yesterday, but in the main for the position we are in I think we've done quite well. 

I think a lot of fans of other teams would actually say that a team in 22nd bringing in O'Donnell, Pearce, Gladwin, Tomlin and Golbourne is actually pretty impressive. In the case of Tomlin in particular I would have been pretty gutted if anybody around us had managed to pull that off.

I do now for the first time this season believe we have a competitive squad, it's just a couple more players would have been ideal to really round it off.

We also of course desperately need to find a way of scoring goals. 

ALWAYS BELIEVE!

This is why we love our club. Now the dust is settling on the transfer window its time for us to fully back our club support in numbers and give them the so called extra man, and give it some noise, let the others fear coming to the Gate and be intimidated and get behind them as we do away.

COYR

52 minutes ago, Blazeyrobins said:

ALWAYS BELIEVE!

This is why we love our club. Now the dust is settling on the transfer window its time for us to fully back our club support in numbers and give them the so called extra man, and give it some noise, let the others fear coming to the Gate and be intimidated and get behind them as we do away.

COYR

Yeah come on lets get positive about our club. Its only the window that has closed, not the trap door!!  COYR

7 hours ago, marmite said:

Some on here ask SL to spend millions of his cash, and then threaten not to spend a few hundred on a season ticket. Not so easy when its your own money is it?

I don't disagree with much of your sentiment Marmite…I don't think we did too badly at all in the transfer window….it was, as others have said, the preceding months that have left our squad unable to compete thus far….hoping that will start to turn around and I'll be at Charlton to see it...

…however, a reflection on cash investment. Let's assume that we sold 10k season tickets…at around £400 each. That's £4million invested in Bristol City this season by supporters, ordinary working people, none of whom have any control over how that money is spent, and invested up front before a ball is kicked.

If I was SL I'd be pretty grateful for that support.

Bottom line - regardless of whether or not City retain Championship status is the simple fact that we fans will continue to support our team. Problem with that is the "suits" at City are only too aware of that, the same as any other football club.

Everyone knows that the club messed up last summer and that fact is kinda acknowledge by the "suits"

Personally I think we will just avoid the drop and IMO that'll be a huge let off given the mess the club has made so far.

Perspective?

Given the success of last season, and the potential resources at our disposal, is third from bottom in February as good as we anticipated back in August??

I DO NOT think the expectation was likely relegation 'at the first attempt'.

It's been near piss-poor.

A club like City should be able to stabilise themselves at level 2 with reasonable comfort. There is no reason for us not to be able to be Championship run-of-the-mill (i.e. mid table). None at all.

We are not down yet, but we could and should be making a far better fist of things than this.

Uncle TFR

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

With the absence (currently) of an additional goal scorer, I would say that Gladwin has to start in place of Reid, so that there are more goals from midfield potential. 

Would hope that Gladwin may start if he has shaped up in training this week..worth the start and we can make the change if he tires.

25 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Perspective?

Given the success of last season, and the potential resources at our disposal, is third from bottom in February as good as we anticipated back in August??

I DO NOT think the expectation was likely relegation 'at the first attempt'.

It's been near piss-poor.

A club like City should be able to stabilise themselves at level 2 with reasonable comfort. There is no reason for us not to be able to be Championship run-of-the-mill (i.e. mid table). None at all.

We are not down yet, but we could and should be making a far better fist of things than this.

Uncle TFR

I hear what you are saying Uncle but we have to remember our history has us as a Championship/Div 1 yo-yo club. I don't like it any more than you do but maybe my expectations are not so high as yours. I've got 60 years of watching City so I think we are near our level, although a bit of success would not go amiss.

18 minutes ago, marmite said:

I hear what you are saying Uncle but we have to remember our history has us as a Championship/Div 1 yo-yo club. I don't like it any more than you do but maybe my expectations are not so high as yours. I've got 60 years of watching City so I think we are near our level, although a bit of success would not go amiss.

In one sense, you are right. History tells us our 'average' league position is close to where we are today.

The point is, today, we are not short of money, and have just built a 27,000 seater arena.

We'll have plenty of season ticket holders next season.

Staying in level 2 is not asking too much - given these resources.

Uncle TFR

This forum is no place for perspective.

It's hyperbole, exaggeration, speculation, invective, hysteria and criticism- mostly with the benefit of hindsight - that rule on here.

12 minutes ago, downendcity said:

This forum is no place for perspective.

It's hyperbole, exaggeration, speculation, invective, hysteria and criticism- mostly with the benefit of hindsight - that rule on here.

Don`t forget total desperation, unbridled optimism and a divine right to say anything you want about anyone who`s not in a position to reply.

16 hours ago, marmite said:

yep, still in the same div as we were 50yrs ago...expect us to "visit" other divs in the next 50yrs; a bigger ground will help but not so much if we drop a div or two.

• Admin
1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

yep, still in the same div as we were 50yrs ago...expect us to "visit" other divs in the next 50yrs; a bigger ground will help but not so much if we drop a div or two.

Isn't that what they were saying at Darlington a few years back

Archived