IGNORED

Will MK Dons ever be Premier League?

reddogkev

Seems a bizarre title for a thread at this stage of the season - with MK looking good for the drop, but think about it for a moment.

There's always an unexpected team from the lower reaches of the game that strings together a decent couple of seasons, builds momentum, and seemingly does the impossible -

scales the heights of the Championships and penetrates the fortified walls of the Prem.

The last few teams I refer to mainly are Bournemouth, Crapdiff, Swansea, and even going further back to Stoke, and Hull City's first promotion to the top tier.

There are numerous other examples of unfashionable teams doing just this - so in theory, with MK Dons slowly but surely growing their fanbase, gaining more exposure, and being based

relatively close to London - will they replicate this feat?

I will always hate MK Dons with a passion, still don't agree that they bought out Wimbledon, and pray that City beat them to the chase.

Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Seems a bizarre title for a thread at this stage of the season - with MK looking good for the drop, but think about it for a moment.

There's always an unexpected team from the lower reaches of the game that strings together a decent couple of seasons, builds momentum, and seemingly does the impossible -

scales the heights of the Championships and penetrates the fortified walls of the Prem.

The last few teams I refer to mainly are Bournemouth, Crapdiff, Swansea, and even going further back to Stoke, and Hull City's first promotion to the top tier.

There are numerous other examples of unfashionable teams doing just this - so in theory, with MK Dons slowly but surely growing their fanbase, gaining more exposure, and being based

I will always hate MK Dons with a passion, still don't agree that they bought out Wimbledon, and pray that City beat them to the chase.

Thoughts?

Their club was built from the ground up to be a franchise in the premier league.... effectively taking an American template and trying it in England. And one day (no matter how much I despise them) I expect them to achieve their goal and it will be a sad day for English football.

No disrespect meant to them but if Bournemouth can reach the top flight you literally cannot put it past any league club.. If you have the dough you win in the modern game unfortunately, its sad but ultimately the truth... Its there for the taking for any club no matter how small you are 'perceived' so MK Dons have a good a chance as anyone IMO!

12 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Swansea played Hull in League 2 for league survival in 2003, in a decrepit Vetch ground at the end of a season in which they averaged crowds of 3,000.

If they can achieve it from there, then of course a Championship club with a gradually growing fanbase and first-rate infrastructure can do it.

Swansea are still the team that baffle me the most.  I don't think anyone can accurately explain how they've managed their transformation.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but from memory I don't recall them ever splashing around huge amounts of money as they climbed the ladder.

If they stay up this season, then with the extra money for next year, they will soon become giants compared to us.

Hope this never ever happens to MK Dons!

48 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Every year their crowds are growing

They have the ground and training ground to boot

Invested in a long term model

I see no reason why not in the next 15 years.

They don't have their own training ground yet, according to KR in media stories before playing Chelsea. Sometimes they use a school's facilities near MK. Before the Chelsea game, they couldn't use what they wanted locally because it was booked up by a "school party" according to KR. He managed to say that "I am not complaining. It's part of life here," before adding "we've got the lowest budget" and "we over-achieve every year." I'd imagine he is embellishing things a little, whilst reminding everyone what a good job he's doing.

As for their crowds, well the away support is certainly growing. Get in the Prem, and some clubs would fill half the ground

19 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Swansea are still the team that baffle me the most.  I don't think anyone can accurately explain how they've managed their transformation.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but from memory I don't recall them ever splashing around huge amounts of money as they climbed the ladder.

If they stay up this season, then with the extra money for next year, they will soon become giants compared to us.

Hope this never ever happens to MK Dons!

I follow Swansea as I used to live there. I went to the Hull game in 2003. They didn't splash cash at all on their way to the Prem. They just benefitted from very shrewd management on and off the pitch, a consistent footballing identity that each of their managers had to buy into, and a joint venture with the council that helped fund their new stadium. A fantastic club.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I follow Swansea as I used to live there. I went to the Hull game in 2003. They didn't splash cash at all on their way to the Prem. They just benefitted from very shrewd management on and off the pitch, a consistent footballing identity that each of their managers had to buy into, and a joint venture with the council that helped fund their new stadium. A fantastic club.

Any of those things, pleaseease. 

5 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Thoughts?

What  has this do with Bristol City.

MK Dons, one club that killed two when it was formed... Will they ever be Premier League? Yeah probably, it pains me to say it, but they have a good set up, with quite a few good talents coming out of their academy and what seems to be a good relationship with a few top flight sides. I don't think they will fly up in the next few seasons, but with stable growth I can see them getting there.

The really sad thing is that in another 10-20 years, the vast majority of fans will regard them as a football club just like the rest. The travesty that saw their formation will be forgotten.

Arsenal doing a similar thing 100+ years ago I'm sure was regarded as a heinous act by many, but completely forgotten about these days.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/henry-norris-man-who-would-be-king-arsenal#:j9_Bi0JFlPkLuA

8 hours ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Well, the horrible possibility that they might stay up and we might go down is exercising my few remaining brain cells at the moment!

We'll recruit a goal-machine when the emergency loan window opens. The defence has been shored-up, and the new midfield signings will gel and start rippling the onion bag.

Chill you big girl.

:sun:

Uncle TFR

16 hours ago, pride of the west said:

Very unlikely with ffp. Their crowds aren't the best and with parachute payments ever increasing, they will find it difficult. 

Most off-the-field revenue (I think) is generated from use of the stadium facilities on non-matchdays rather than crowds. In that sense they're miles ahead of most clubs.

Archived