IGNORED

Vardy's first strike against Liverpool

Robbored

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Anyone see it on TV?

A tremendous strike reminiscent of Van Basten's goal agains England but from a wider angle. Must be goal of the season.

A brilliant strike.

From further out, but not from a wider angle.

A great goal, but Van Basten every time for me. Van Basten hit his first time on the volley direct from a cross!

3 hours ago, Just Red said:

I'm really excited about Englands chances in the next two tournaments. We have some very exciting players coming through. I would say the current England squad is better than the squad that contained Beckham etc.

Nooooo don't do it, you will get me excited and it will end in tears again!! ;0)

If that Vardy goal is not goal of the season, I really want to see a better strike.

THAT was the sort of goal that lifts the whole **** stadium off its foundations.

Superb skill and accuracy from a striker in the form of his life.

If we don't sign him as out emergency striker, we are fools.

FOOLS I SAY.

Uncle TFR

6 hours ago, Just Red said:

I'm really excited about Englands chances in the next two tournaments. We have some very exciting players coming through. I would say the current England squad is better than the squad that contained Beckham etc.

We haven't got the defence.  Terry, Ferdinand and Cole were a helluva core to have starting each game and we're nowhere near that now.

2 hours ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

If that Vardy goal is not goal of the season, I really want to see a better strike.

THAT was the sort of goal that lifts the whole **** stadium off its foundations.

Superb skill and accuracy from a striker in the form of his life.

If we don't sign him as out emergency striker, we are fools.

FOOLS I SAY.

Uncle TFR

Martina for Southampton against Arsenal.

8 hours ago, Just Red said:

Here we go again.  Optimism based on people looking good against Norwich, West Brom etc.  I remember Guardiola being asked about Jack Wiltshire and he said there are loads of players like him in Spain and I've no reason to doubt him.

Much better to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised.  What they need is some kind of scandal pre-tournament.  Get the pressure on them and push them closer together like the Italians in 1982 and 2006 and us in Euro 96.   Last thing that they want is 'We could surprise a few people' or 'there's no reason why we can't win it'.  Heap derision on them early doors and lets see if they have any steel.....

17 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Here we go again.  Optimism based on people looking good against Norwich, West Brom etc.  I remember Guardiola being asked about Jack Wiltshire and he said there are loads of players like him in Spain and I've no reason to doubt him.

Much better to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised.  What they need is some kind of scandal pre-tournament.  Get the pressure on them and push them closer together like the Italians in 1982 and 2006 and us in Euro 96.   Last thing that they want is 'We could surprise a few people' or 'there's no reason why we can't win it'.  Heap derision on them early doors and lets see if they have any steel.....

Whilst I would never disagree that Spain produces far more technical players than England. It has to be remembered that this comment came after Guardiola's Barcelona midfield of Xavi, Ineista and Busquets had struggled to get to grips with a teenage Wilshere who had just turned a tie in Arsenals favour.

Basically the comment was probably laced with a post defeat bitterness and also mind games.

6 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Whilst I would never disagree that Spain produces far more technical players than England. It has to be remembered that this comment came after Guardiola's Barcelona midfield of Xavi, Ineista and Busquets had struggled to get to grips with a teenage Wilshere who had just turned a tie in Arsenals favour.

Basically the comment was probably laced with a post defeat bitterness and also mind games.

Without watching a video of the game, I think it might just be that he was a surprise package. He's proven to be a classic young English player who shows precocious early promise which fades.   A grounding in the lower leagues is 10 times better for a young player than coming through at a big club.  Dele Alli being a classic example.  As he's played a couple of seasons for MK Dons, he's in a far better position to show continuous improvement.  If rumours are to believed, England should stay well clear of someone who would struggle to pass a drugs test.

Spain produces not just better technical players but also stronger players mentally and their national teams never pick inexperienced players.  That is key.  Their best under 21s play for the under 21s then graduate to the senior side.  We do the opposite preferring to move players up to sitting on the bench for the important qualifier away to Estonia rather than going to an under 21 tournament.  Our squad have little tournament experience and virtually nil successful tournament experience.  It will take 2 or 3 tournaments together to get them close to the level required.  

We also don't value team players enough - football is not about the best 11 players but about having the best team. 

Archived