IGNORED

Eight men had a dream - OFFICIAL CAMPAIGN

The Exiled Robin

Given today is the anniversary of this momentous event, I thought it a good opportunity to try and change the last sentence of the song that is sung.

It has potential to be a really good, club-specific song but has already been ruined by the lame-ass, tinpot 'we're Championship' (ooooooh!) that seems to have evolved. I can't sing that as it's

Just. So. LAME! It makes us sound like some tiny provincial side, not one with hopes and ambitions of reaching the Premier League.

Come on, let's take this song back to mean something less crappy so we can all get behind it properly! - COYR!

Eight men had a dream
To save our football team
Tore their contracts up so we could go on...
Now thirty (ish!) years on
We're still going strong
And on our way back, to where we belong

14 minutes ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Given today is the anniversary of this momentous event, I thought it a good opportunity to try and change the last sentence of the song that is sung.

It has potential to be a really good, club-specific song but has already been ruined by the lame-ass, tinpot 'we're Championship' (ooooooh!) that seems to have evolved. I can't sing that as it's

Just. So. LAME! It makes us sound like some tiny provincial side, not one with hopes and ambitions of reaching the Premier League.

Come on, let's take this song back to mean something less crappy so we can all get behind it properly! - COYR!

Eight men had a dream
We're still going strong

Been trying to do this without much success since Wembley! Glad its not just me who thinks its tinpot, along with Swindon Town are staying down....

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'd also like to add, that in addition to the last line being rubbish (although now since updated) the opening line is also changed.

I don't believe it was really the players dream to destroy their contracts.

Would '8 men had no choice' be more appropriate?

Choice doesn't rhyme with team though.

1 hour ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Eight men had a dream
We're still going strong

Look I admire what the Ashton Gate eight did, but let's remember that they didn't tear up their contracts because they had a dream, they tore them up because they were backed into a corner by the club and had little or no alternative.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful that they did, but what was the alternative?  Bankrupt the club and get nothing back anyway?  At least some of them found other clubs.  They were not at all happy about it at the time.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Look I admire what the Ashton Gate eight did, but let's remember that they didn't tear up their contracts because they had a dream, they tore them up because they were backed into a corner by the club and had little or no alternative.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful that they did, but what was the alternative?  Bankrupt the club and get nothing back anyway?  At least some of them found other clubs.  They were not at all happy about it at the time.

And without them doing what they did you may be supporting the gas. Talk about time eases the pain I think in this case time has eroded the brain! I am still convinced 100% these guys have NEVER had the recognition they deserve or get treated well enough by the club today

24 minutes ago, frenchred said:

And without them doing what they did you may be supporting the gas. Talk about time eases the pain I think in this case time has eroded the brain! I am still convinced 100% these guys have NEVER had the recognition they deserve or get treated well enough by the club today

This 

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Why let facts get in the way of a good song?

I agree that "we're championship" is cringeworthy but I also think that the previous "back where we belong" line was also a bit naff, suggesting the Championship is "where we belong" not very progressive thinking IMO. 

Personally I think that "we always believe" would be a fitting last line to said song. 

It's just a song folks. Is it 100% historically accurate? No. But neither is "We're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen". 

Allow a little artistic licence please, or romanticism, even. 

Whatever the truth was, without the final outcome we'd not be in existence. So let's please just rejoice in that. 

Section 82 in the Atyeo are planning a display in celebration of the events 34 years ago today. Should be ready for the Ipswich game, which ironically Ipswich played Southampton in a fundraiser in 82 which raised £82k for our plight. 

Section 82 will celebrate the AG8. It's a time in our history we should never forget (for the good and the bad of it). 

As for the song. It's already been changed to "the city is ours" as the final line. This highlights how we've progressed massively in the 34 years since to basically own football in this city. 

47 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I agree that "we're championship" is cringeworthy but I also think that the previous "back where we belong" line was also a bit naff, suggesting the Championship is "where we belong" not very progressive thinking IMO. 

Personally I think that "we always believe" would be a fitting last line to said song. 

This

6 hours ago, 8MenWith1Dream said:

Love the new words, but it needs to have more tempo to it! It sounds so droany!

This is the Wednesday fans singing to the same tune - how good is that? The same on Saturday please!

I've always loved the Rangers version that they've banged out for years, a full Ibrox giving it large to this one is quite something:

2 hours ago, cider-manc said:

@YorkshireSection suggested one ending to me that I think works.

"We're Bristol city, the dream lives on"

Eight men made our dream

They tore their contracts up so we can go on...

Now 30 years on, the city is ours

We're Bristol city, the dream lives on

Archived