IGNORED

only for those with something positive to say

extonsred

Cannot bear the negativity - don't know who is or was the best candidate but Lee has a hugely growing reputation allegedly, has a great commitment to this club, has turned round the club's he has been at in a short space of time. This may well be a very inspired choice. Certainly he is a very clever n astute guy who really knows what he is letting himself in for and feels he can manage it.

I am personally very happy with this appointment.

There are many reasons, but one of the more frivolous ones, and therefore the one that pleases me most, is waiting to see how many excuses Robbored can come up with for not liking him without admitting it's just because of his dad.

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

We have appointed a bright up and coming manager, one who can work on a limited budget, and the man who the Board (Who have facts targeted than blinkered opinions) rate as the best candidate.

this. amazing how many postmans, plumbers, whatever think they are more capable of running a football club then the people who see inside the club everyday and not just watch from the stands once a week

Think this is a good move... 

Will come straight in from the same role he was at Barnsley so concentrating on coaching the players and selecting the team etc (check Barnsley official statement) 

speaks extremely well to media and comes across that he knows the game.

worked with some young talent at Barnsley 

And he LOVES this club 

here's hoping to a successful spell 

I'm hopeful. I can remember a story from years ago that as a kid Lee used to spend hours hanging from his arms trying to get a bit taller. Not possessed of the most natural talent Lee J has, through professionalism and determination, made the very best of himself. He seems to be a good bloke as well - bright, communicates well, flexible and with a genuine affection for the club. This might well work .... here's hoping.

31 minutes ago, extonsred said:

Cannot bear the negativity - don't know who is or was the best candidate but Lee has a hugely growing reputation allegedly, has a great commitment to this club, has turned round the club's he has been at in a short space of time. This may well be a very inspired choice. Certainly he is a very clever n astute guy who really knows what he is letting himself in for and feels he can manage it.

Wasting your time mate. Take a look back at the thread that greeted the imminent arrival of Steve Cotterill. Plenty of the same people acting like 5 year old girls on that one as there is today.

Just spoke to a colleague and fellow City fan about LJ, and as I said to him, there are very few names who I think we can attract, that would get my juices flowing. I will, as always, continue to support the club as best I can, and if he is appointed, I wish Lee all the luck in the world. (Shouldn't we all??)

Oh for the oasis of a positive thread. The negativity in this forum as a whole is frightening. We have made so much progress on and off the pitch in the last 24 months it's a superb time to be a City fan. The opportunity to learn from Pompey, Luton, Bolton etc will hopefully not be diminished by people calling for quick fixes and shouting 'lack of ambition.'

A bright, optimistic young talent is what we need, and that's in keeping with LJ. There's plenty of championship experience for him to draw in elsewhere around the club. 

I can't get my head round why Lansdown gets slagged off for lack of ambition, it's not a games consul! He has a responsibility, during his watch, to hand the club over in a better position than when he came in, and makes others whom talked a good game (Scott Davidson etc) look ameteur in the progress he continues to make.

Premiership football is an ambition not an entitlement. It has to be earnt, or 92 teams would do it? 3 years ago we didn't even have a training facility of any note. How did we expect to attract players and coaches to a playing field I used to okay on! 

The plan is sound, Lansdown is sound, the only sound we should make is one of support and then the part we play us positive too. Quite honestly anything else ahead of it being proved a disaster is just people who want to watch Man U, Liverpool etc at Ashton Gate and not Bristol City.

Come On You Reds

Matt 

As the fans, sat at our desk, on our sofas or lying in bed, what do we really know of the club? What do we really know of the options that were out there. 

Most, including me, would have liked Pearson. That probably wasn't an option. 

So we have Lee Johnson it appears.  The situation here could be similar when we made the decision not to appoint Moyes. Look what he went on to. 

This is a risk. Ultimately to me it doesn't matter who's in charge. I'll support the club whatever (although I would have booed Pearce). 

The club have 'rolled the dice' (credit @RedDave) and only time will tell what'll happen. 

But part of me thinks we could have done a whole lot worse. And part of me thinks LJ may well shock a few.

That being said we haven't appointed him yet and we're probably, as we speak offering him £1,500p/w to take over.

LJ will get my support. The Bristol City roller coaster ride continues... And I love it !

Not sure how I feel immediately.   But my track record on managers is poor.

1.  I wanted Tinnion .... tho I secretly knew the day would come when he would be found wanting and have to leave

2.  I wanted Coppell  ... that didn't turn out well

3.  I wanted Sean ODriscoll  ... yeah I know

4.  I didn't want Steve Cotterril ... you get the picture

So I am not sure if I am getting wiser, more mature perhaps?

But when SC was sacked my immediate preference was for Pearson ... same mould as SC but done it at a higher level

I didn't even consider LJ .... but presumably the board have spent a little longer than the 5 mins I spent compiling a list of managers ?

After looking at his record I can see why he (most likely) will be appointed as a manager.     The key word here is manager ... we are not signing him to play !

Who cares about his playing career?    Of no consequence for this position.

The fact he knows the club, board etc ... means he should hopefully slot in a lot easier than someone else.

The more I think about it, the happier I am that this is a good appointment.

However, I dont want to get too excited about it as I dont want to scupper his chances!!!

Had it not been for the predictable adverse reaction he probably would have been my first choice of what I presume were the realistic options. Nonetheless, I am happy indeed.

Personally think LJ would be a good move, he is an up and coming manager who has fresh new ideas about coaching and has his teams playing a good style of football. He has worked with shoestring budgets at both Oldham and Barnsley. Alongside this he is very astute in the transfer windows even with no budget at either club. I believe he will be a success. This club is building for the future and what better way than to give a young manager a chance to have a job for 10 years? There is no reason LJ can't do a Eddie Howe.

I for one like the style of football his teams play and also like his manner and passion for coaching. Hopefully he could bring Winnall, Mawson and Hourihane with him. 

I would also be very interested to see if he takes over at the end of the season or comes straight in?

14 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Personally think LJ would be a good move, he is an up and coming manager who has fresh new ideas about coaching and has his teams playing a good style of football. He has worked with shoestring budgets at both Oldham and Barnsley. Alongside this he is very astute in the transfer windows even with no budget at either club. I believe he will be a success. This club is building for the future and what better way than to give a young manager a chance to have a job for 10 years? There is no reason LJ can't do a Eddie Howe.

I for one like the style of football his teams play and also like his manner and passion for coaching. Hopefully he could bring Winnall, Mawson and Hourihane with him. 

I would also be very interested to see if he takes over at the end of the season or comes straight in?

I would expect him on the training ground on Monday morning, surely?

Or Sunday, if Saturday goes badly, badly wrong......

Positivity  eh ? different but I'll give it a go .....

When Cott's came in it was probably the first time I'd felt so underwhelmed. All of the recent managers had had  the right qualities/personalities/qualifications or affiliations so you could see and understand why they were appointed ...... and then there was Cott's . Targeted as the only choice , that went down well !

I said the same then, with the previous candidates many were happy and they failed (miserably in some cases) , perhaps this one (Cott's), although not universally welcomed , may break the cycle and be successful . Scroll on a manager and we are here (all be it in a higher division) again. This time LittleLee (as the songs will boom out) is in the same mold , underwhelming to most, disappointing to some and baffling to others. As a few have said , appointing managers is not an exact science, so who's to say Pearson (even if he was in the frame , which I now doubt) would have been successful ( and yes I would have liked to see him try). 

So I am picking the bits on here that make Lee , sorry LittleLee , sound like the type of manager we need. He's studious, intelligent , ambitious and has formed contacts through his career for exactly this type of opportunity. I don't know if any of this is 100% true, but I choose to believe it as it would explain why we are talking too him. All we can hope for (and would have been the same for any man coming in) is for a Cott's like appointment, safety with a flourish and a positive rebuild in the summer. 

I've supported City under managers I hated , all the next man has to do is keep us up (to start with) and he'd be streets ahead of those managers. I hope it works out,for all of us, not sure of the timing but lets hope for that new manager boost, and soon.

I just can't wait to sing and jump to "Johnson says bounce around the ground" again.

This appointment is a massive risk but so was Cotterill when he came in, would rather a young hungry Head coach come in than a old been there done that Manager.

As stated it seems he will be a head coach, not a manager. There's big differences. I think this could be a wise move for the club!

Archived