IGNORED

Why pretend to have ambition?

Robbie C

Why is the board pretending to be ambitious for this great club and then not backing it up with people who have any ability to do the job? Pathetic. All this talk about identifying targets and shortlists is just lies. It's all about doing it on the cheap and it won't work. 

As i have pointed out , there will be big compensation due to Barnsley so not a cheap option .

The cheap option , IMHO also the best one , would be to keep Pemberton in place .

It does seem a little bit of an anti climax for many to see LJ , a face from the past , back at the club when all the talk is of moving forward .

Apparently, now we are getting LJ as Head Coach, they can claw back some of the money being spent on the West stand.

Shortening the height of the home dugout by 6 inches will save us £6,000,000.

This money can be ploughed back into painting double yellow lines within a five mile radius of the ground.

Now I've explained this, is everyone happy?

Uncle TFR

21 minutes ago, Robbie C said:

Why is the board pretending to be ambitious for this great club and then not backing it up with people who have any ability to do the job? Pathetic. All this talk about identifying targets and shortlists is just lies. It's all about doing it on the cheap and it won't work. 

Don't take this as a lack of pride in our club, because I do possess that, but great? Come on?! I think this club is great, but I don't expect that more widely, because it isn't I'm afraid.

Read between the lines. The board often cite the likes of Swansea and Bournemouth as the sort of clubs they want to emulate.

The thing is, who did Swansea and Bournemouth emulate? They didn't. They spent when needed, and they made good footballing decisions.

It sounds pessimistic, but in my view the board don't want to be ambitious. They want us to do well, but don't want to put the necessary groundwork that currently successful clubs do. It's the footballing equivalent of buying a self-help book and not reading and following it.

Anyone with half a brain knows that Bristol City are a million miles away from the Premier League. The fact that they're openly mentioning it as a goal when the club is currently losing in a relegation battle shows to me that their dream of Premier League football is like my dream of ******* Kate Upton. Ambitious, but never going to happen.

2 minutes ago, Robbie C said:

The sad thing is the board obviously don't think it's great either, otherwise they would emply someone who can do the job instead of the son of the owners mate.

Oh for God's sake, can't make the accusation of nepotism because his dads no longer here, so we have the accusation of "secondhand nepotism" instead.

I think ambition is exactly what the board have shown here.

They haven't gone for the 'safe' option of someone like Warnock. They haven't gone straight for the big names just because they are a name.

They have taken a look around at who they want and what they require from a manager.

They have ended up going for a young, highly rated manager and given him a chance to make his name with City rather than at another, equally ambitious club, beyond which point he would be out of our reach as a realistic target.

It's a gamble, especially when you consider the reaction some on here are giving already, but one worth taking IMO if the club want to progress.

34 minutes ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Apparently, now we are getting LJ as Head Coach, they can claw back some of the money being spent on the West stand.

Shortening the height of the home dugout by 6 inches will save us £6,000,000.

This money can be ploughed back into painting double yellow lines within a five mile radius of the ground.

Now I've explained this, is everyone happy?

Uncle TFR

Hahahaha !

15 minutes ago, Robbie C said:

The sad thing is the board obviously don't think it's great either, otherwise they would emply someone who can do the job instead of the son of the owners mate.

SC was our chairman's mate; one of the few appointments the board got right.

4 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

They haven't gone for the 'safe' option of someone like Warnock. They haven't gone straight for the big names just because they are a name.

They have taken a look around at who they want and what they require from a manager.

They have ended up going for a young, highly rated manager and given him a chance to make his name with City rather than at another, equally ambitious club, bwyond which point he would be out of our reach as a realistic target.

It's a gamble, especially when you consider the reaction some on here are giving already, but one worth taking IMO if the club want to progress.

I quite agree. No manager, regardless of experience is guaranteed to keep us up or progress. If LJ fits the bill then so be it. I for one would far rather him than a short sighted short term solution.

It will be interesting to see how many of these threads relating to LJ are brought up in a couple of years time, whether we appoint him or not.

12 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

I'm presuming we've been turned down by a few others. 

I expect so, despite what the spinmaster says about manager's needing to be the right fit for the club, the current changes would have put a lot of people off.  I for one couldn't report into a guy like Ashton as he seems like a "know-it-all" and I would see others feeling the same and walking away from the role.  IMO Lee Johnson is inexperienced, up and coming but more than this, he's obviously a "Yes" man which Ashton would like to target.

Sorry but the club lack ambition because you don't like their (potential) choice of head coach?

The club has huge ambition, has just rebuilt Ashton Gate into something fantastic, and will attempt to back Lee Johnson (if given the job) in trying to make us an established championship club with the ultimate aim of reaching the premier league.

4 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

He's just won Manager of the Month, so someone must.

Here's a random example as well...  http://www.thesackrace.com/managers/lee-johnson

Barnsley should be competing for promotion in that division, instead they linger in 12th position mid-table "obscurity" and lowly Burton are top :laugh:  If we are cherry picking L1 managers then let's take the Burton manager who seems to be over achieving rather than under achieving like LJ. 

32 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

They have ended up going for a young, highly rated manager and given him a chance to make his name with City rather than at another, equally ambitious club, bwyond which point he would be out of our reach as a realistic target.

"Highly rated" by who?

1 hour ago, Robbie C said:

I dread to think who else was in the "shortlist" in that case...

Some of the names on the shortlist would surprise you.......

(they surprised Mark Ashton when he made them up too)

Archived