IGNORED

Mark Ashton the master politician

Londoner

He said we have received a wide range of applicants, he said we would be suprised by the quality of applicant, he said we would do everything in our power to get the right man....and what did we get? Looks like Lee Johnson.

Almost identical to the Nigel Farage speech in Brussels when the new leader of the EU was announced back in 2010.....we were promised the best, and so far seems that won't happen.

For what it's worth I am willing to give LJ a chance if employed. But why oh why would Mark Ashton come out and gloat about us as a club and the top attractions we are and then go for a manager unproven at this level?

After what he said we all assumed the likes of Pearson, Clarke, Monk, Sherwood etc were interested....maybe he was lying, maybe he over estimated the draw, maybe he got it very wrong.....or maybe he was manipulating the fans into think the impossible was possible.

Mark Ashton clearly a politician, and a poor one at that.

No problem with LJ.

I do think right now the club would be well advised to avoid language like 'building for the premiership' and 'surprised by some of the names...' etc however. The only focus right now is staying up, pure and simple. Not the time for pointless comments, even if well meant.

8 minutes ago, Londoner said:

He said we have received a wide range of applicants, he said we would be suprised by the quality of applicant, he said we would do everything in our power to get the right man....and what did we get? Looks like Lee Johnson.

Almost identical to the Nigel Farage speech in Brussels when the new leader of the EU was announced back in 2010.....we were promised the best, and so far seems that won't happen.

For what it's worth I am willing to give LJ a chance if employed. But why oh why would Mark Ashton come out and gloat about us as a club and the top attractions we are and then go for a manager unproven at this level?

After what he said we all assumed the likes of Pearson, Clarke, Monk, Sherwood etc were interested....maybe he was lying, maybe he over estimated the draw, maybe he got it very wrong.....or maybe he was manipulating the fans into think the impossible was possible.

Or maybe The Master Bater?

Just now, slartibartfast said:

TBF, h hasn't lied when saying that you'd be surprised by the "quality" of the applicants.

Perhaps they were ALL shite !   It's how you perceive that statement .

Aye.  Looks like they filed the list of applicants in the bin and went and poached someone,so i think you may be onto something there slarti

31 minutes ago, Londoner said:

He said we have received a wide range of applicants, he said we would be suprised by the quality of applicant, he said we would do everything in our power to get the right man

That was until they realised they would only be head coach with no time left to affect the team with transfers (apart from 1 loan)

MA decided they would be to strong and therefore had the wrong DNA

37 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Same old, same old.

Ond day the worm will turn.

41 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I think the key word in your posting is 'assumed'.  I don't recall Mark Ashton saying anything about Pearson, Clarke, Monk or (God help us) Sherwood.  Maybe he was telling the truth.  Maybe they had lots of applications, but maybe they have decided that Lee Johnson is the BEST MAN FOR THE JOB.  And why not, given that he is rated as one of the, if not the, most promising young managers in the football league?

Pearson was always a non-starter, given that he would have wanted compete control; Clarke has no great record, certainly in recent seasons and won't get better; Sherwood is hopeless; so if it was a choice between Monk and Johnson, then I doubt there was much in it.

However, none of this suggests that Mark Ashton has lied at any stage.

38 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

TBF, he hasn't lied when saying that you'd be surprised by the "quality" of the applicants.

Perhaps they were ALL shite !   It's how you perceive that statement .

As I said at the time, not all surprises are pleasant.

So did Lee apply, or did we just bin the surprises and lower our expectations and seek out someone who they knew. Always easier to work with a known person, having already done the 'getting to know you' phrase. 

This isn't anti lee, far from it. But he's already onto a hiding to nothing if he comes and the fans had this bigging up statement of intent from Ashton & Co. I think I'd love it if Lee comes and really stirred the pot by not being the yes man they might think they are getting. But haven't we just done this, progress, what progress?

51 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I'm yet to see a convincing argument for appointing Monk or Sherwood. Neither have done anything of note and have less actual managerial experience than LJ. 

Are they more qualified than LJ just because they managed premier league clubs badly? 

Just now, RedM said:

As I said at the time, not all surprises are pleasant.

So did Lee apply, or did we just bin the surprises and lower our expectations and seek out someone who they knew. Always easier to work with a known person, having already done the 'getting to know you' phrase. 

This isn't anti lee, far from it. But he's already onto a hiding to nothing if he comes and the fans had this bigging up statement of intent from Ashton & Co. I think I'd love it if Lee comes and really stirred the pit by not being the yes man they might think they are getting. But haven't we just done this, progress, what progress?

Not sure he can apply, he can only apply if he resigns.  We can approach.

All a bit a bit crazy as you should be able to apply for any job you like if you are under contract or not

Just now, TRL said:

Not sure he can apply, he can only apply if he resigns.  We can approach.

All a bit a bit crazy as you should be able to apply for any job you like if you are under contract or not

That's what confused me, we can't talk to him without permission, so he can't have been one of those applicants. So what happened to them?

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think the key word in your posting is 'assumed'.  I don't recall Mark Ashton saying anything about Pearson, Clarke, Monk or (God help us) Sherwood.  Maybe he was telling the truth.  Maybe they had lots of applications, but maybe they have decided that Lee Johnson is the BEST MAN FOR THE JOB.  And why not, given that he is rated as one of the, if not the, most promising young managers in the football league?

Pearson was always a non-starter, given that he would have wanted compete control; Clarke has no great record, certainly in recent seasons and won't get better; Sherwood is hopeless; so if it was a choice between Monk and Johnson, then I doubt there was much in it.

Rated by who? Was there a most promising young manager in the football league award, voted for by peers and other football dignitories? Or is this you and your mate. Serious question. What mark is he rated off.

Just now, RedM said:

That's what confused me, we can't talk to him without permission, so he can't have been one of those applicants. So what happened to them?

exactly, which makes me think the applicants have seen the structure they have to work under and have said do one.  Nothing like deflating a big personality manager by taking away half his job!

Time will tell if the structure works.  I am for it as it breeds continuity, as long as that continuity breeds success.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

OR just maybe after all the previous negotiations there just was n't a good fit and LJ perhaps is .

1 hour ago, shelts said:

Maybe he is telling the truth.......my problem is when he goes public with these comments it makes the club look like spanners 

You have to think about who the message is for - when the club was talking about the prem we were probably talking to potential players. When we say were surprised by some the applicants were probably trying to convince other managers that are on the fence about applying to make them think better managers see something that they haven't and get them to apply.

The club release lots of stuff for fans but the stuff that seems too good to be true typically is and I can't believe people put so much faith in the words of what is basically a salesman.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

ANY manager worth their salt will want full control..this is the reason we are so restricted in our choices..

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I'm yet to see a convincing argument for appointing Monk or Sherwood. Neither have done anything of note and have less actual managerial experience than LJ. 

Are they more qualified than LJ just because they managed premier league clubs badly? 

You could say, Lee is pretty sharp and wise beyond his years, by moving on from each job before getting bogged down or making a mess of things. Or, indeed, achieving something notable. He's keeping one step ahead of the sack, or the threat of the sack. How long will he hang around here?

We just don't know what he is capable of, good or bad. We might be about to find out exactly what he's got in his locker, as they say. 

34 minutes ago, Pezo said:

You have to think about who the message is for - when the club was talking about the prem we were probably talking to potential players. When we say were surprised by some the applicants were probably trying to convince other managers that are on the fence about applying to make them think better managers see something that they haven't and get them to apply.

The club release lots of stuff for fans but the stuff that seems too good to be true typically is and I can't believe people put so much faith in the words of what is basically a salesman.

Do potential players and managers listen to Geoff Twentyman on RB? 

Archived