IGNORED

Wilkshire Witch Hunt

BCFChris

To me there seems to be a witch hunt beginning to appear regarding Wilkshire. I get the feeling that the reason most people are slating him is because his name is not Scott Murray and he hasnt scored 12 odd goals yet this season. Luke was never going to be a replacement for Scott as they are 2 totally different players.

From what I have seen of him this season, his forward passes are better than anyone else we currently have in midfield (that includes Tinman), although he is rather lightweight when he is challenged.

Given time I feel he will develop into a very good player, but that is only with encouragement from the fans and Danny. don't let Wilkshire become the scapegoat (as is the way with BCFC fans) for what has become a poor start by the whole team this season!

Problem is we have no width with him on the right and thats not his fault. Even when Murray did'nt appear to play well he was always out wide which stretched the opposition and gave more space for the other lads.

The problem is therefore that wilkshire does not gives us that width and i think danny should play him in the middle.

We might see why he was a Premier League player then!

yeah wilkshre is not scott he was never ment to be they are two completely different plaers i cant remember the games wilkshire wasnt playing but you could see the crosses wernt comeing in from the right and the corners were awful. He could become one of citys best players but you have to stop useing him as a scapegoat

I don't think he was ever brought in to go on the right. I am thinking that Danny thought he could get away with putting Robbo on the right, but when that didnt work Wilkshire ended up there. There is no doubt that Wilkshire is a centre midfield player and not a winger!

Guest WillsbridgeRed

There does seem to be a certain class in his passing and vision, but for the second Division he doesn't seem to have the strength to dominate midfield. With Burnell to sweep up and Wilkshire to spread the ball about it could become tastey

I think I've already said a lot of this and can only keep repeating that not all players come into sides and make an immediate impact.

Luke's best performances so far have come when he has had the freedom to roam around, against a poor Notts C and far better Sheff Wed.

After the Notts C performance, reading between the lines of DW's comments it was clear that he actually wasn't happy with him spoiling the shape of the side by wandering around looking to create things. Premier League sides have players that can cover for their more creative talent, it may be the players here have to be educated to do the same before we see the best of him.

I've said over and over again that the lad is a central midfielder and it's the manager to whom you should direct the criticism.

Before we signed him, he was quoted as being "Middlesborough winger,LW"

I saw him for ten minutes against Notts County and could have told you he wasn't a winger and DW himself said "he was a different type of player, who would come in from the wing"

That, frankly, is a load of old pony.The kid isn't a wide player full stop.

I criticised him after the Sheff Weds game because he played in central midfield and was poor.He hasn't scored a goal in his career and doesn't look like doing so (Cue a Wilkshire Hat Trick Tonight!!)

As you say, he is lightweight and the crux of the matter, as with Miller, is that Bristol City cannot afford £550,000 gambles on "one or two for the future" That's what the Academy's for and I honestly don't think that it's producing the goods either

I don`t think that theres a fans "witch hunt" agianst Wilkshire at all.City fans can be pretty spitefull and malicious when they do scapegoat a player and Tinnion,Torpey,Thorpe,Beadle have all been subjected to the abuse dished out by City fans.Some of it very hurtfull.

Wilkshires problem imho is that he still plays as if the Premier League.He's always trying to play the killer ball when its not on and he neglects to play a simple pass or lay the ball to teamates who have made runs.They then gets frustrated and don`t make the runs.

He needs to play with Tinnion a bit more who will play a simple ball 90% of the time.Wilkshire could learn from Tinnion that it about keeping possesion and keeping the ball moving.The opportunity for a killer pass only comes up once or twice a game.

Wilkshire could learn from Tinnion that it about keeping possesion and keeping the ball moving.The opportunity for a killer pass only comes up once or twice a game.

undefined

Robbo you are so right here, Tinns is a fine example for any potential playmaker and can also talk the guy through the early fans reaction.

Archived