IGNORED

John Pemberton

GrahamC

Delighted for him.

His spell as caretaker has seen us gain 7 pts from 4 games but what has impressed me more is his intelligence in football terms and professionalism throughout.

Equally delighted he's staying on, he's a real asset to our club.

He's done a fantastic job, and given LJ a huge boost by being out of the relegation zone for the start of his a City managerial career.

Defeat today, the way other results have gone today, would look so much worse.

Sounds like a solid, controlled performance.

Well done Pembo.....and Wade too.

Pembo has done a great job in my opinion and I'm very pleased he's staying on to work with the new " head coach"

I'm convinced he would have kept us up if he had been in charge til the end of the season.

His knowledge of our first team squad will be invaluable to Lee in his early days, who I will like to wish all the very best of luck.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Delighted for him.

His spell as caretaker has seen us gain 7 pts from 4 games but what has impressed me more is his intelligence in football terms and professionalism throughout.

Well said Graham. Very glad he is staying on and he's done a great job in steadying the ship. Let's hope LJ can continue the good work.

Lee Johnson on his own doesn't inspire confidence. Johnson with Pemberton sounds like potentially a very effective partnership in our current situation. Johnson will bring new ideas and a fresh set of eyes; Pemberton will bring the wealth of knowledge of this group of players and how best to use them.

Not what we all had in mind, but an exciting prospect.

20 minutes ago, ciderup said:

The bloke deserves our thanks and admiration. Let's just hope he can work with LJ to keep the upward momentum as Lee would be crazy to ignore Pembo's obvious talent and passion for this club.

Good on you JP.

I believe LJ is only too happy to take advice from people he trusts and respects and I`m sure JP will be in that category. Out of interest, was he here when LJ was a player? Probably not but not sure of the dates.

Thanks JP & WE. It could so easily have gone pear shaped and beyond redemption.

18 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I believe LJ is only too happy to take advice from people he trusts and respects and I`m sure JP will be in that category. Out of interest, was he here when LJ was a player? Probably not but not sure of the dates.

Thanks JP & WE. It could so easily have gone pear shaped and beyond redemption.

No, JP came in with SO'D....LLJ was long gone by then.  Think it has all the makings of a good partnership...one in which LLJ is already used to working in at Barnsley.  I have to say I'm very happy with how the day has turned out.  Really looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Delighted for him.

Not only 7 points, but, only 1 goal conceded. Clean sheets guarantee a point and if Mr Pemberton had been given a striker/goalscorer, the points return could've/would've been greater.

If Pemberton can work with SOD on the one hand and Cotts on the other- working with Lee will be a comparative breeze.

Isn't it just possible that the whole new set up is actually the exciting new team we've been asking for?

I'm increasingly so well up for this. 

We will stay up- not just because I'm CTID but because we can and we've pretty much always looked good enough. 

If Lee Johnson has any sense, he'll do a Ranieri and leave well alone because the bloke he's taken over from has us sorted.

Also, given the rate at which we sack managers Pemberton needs to be offered a "golden handcuffs" deal or perhaps, if we stay up, an upgrade on his waterside accommodation to the penthouse suite, at the very least.

Top man. 

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Delighted for him.

plus one 

I believe a lot of us at the time felt we had actually come out of it rather for the best when SOD's first assistant (kelly ?) came and went in quick fashion and for JP to come in. 

He has been an exceedingly good assistant. My only concern is that he will leave and rejoin Cotts somewhere because his body language after his departure was telling and for Ashton to say 'i hope JP will be with us for the forseeable future' might tell its own future story. I hope he and Lee therefore get on very well.

49 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I believe a lot of us at the time felt we had actually come out of it rather for the best when SOD's first assistant (kelly ?) came and went in quick fashion and for JP to come in. 

He has been an exceedingly good assistant. My only concern is that he will leave and rejoin Cotts somewhere because his body language after his departure was telling and for Ashton to say 'i hope JP will be with us for the forseeable future' might tell its own future story. I hope he and Lee therefore get on very well.

Would he go with Cotts again though? It`s obvious they didn`t see eye to eye about formations, subs, kids etc.

11 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Would he go with Cotts again though? It`s obvious they didn`t see eye to eye about formations, subs, kids etc.

Just because he changed the formation and brought more youngsters in does not necessarily mean he did not see it SC's way; you may very well be right but it does not mean he would not follow him.

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

It all depends on if he wanted the job (it seems he did), he was told to give Ashton a headache, IMHO he did, then gets someone of LJ level come along. It will depend if he thinks, WTF are they having a laugh, or great he's the best young coach in the country. I don't believe anyone knows him well enough to anticipate the outcome. 

Apart from reading a few positive comments on here I have yet to speak to any City fan who thinks LJ coming is anything but ridiculous and a farcical appointment. So Pembo leaving would hardly be a shock. He would want paying off methinks as in football you wait for the bullet or get another job. First decent offer and I think he will be out of here. 

I'm not sure he will. 

He clearly likes it here, and unless LJ comes in and starts throwing the pots and pans about, I'd say Pembo can count on having significantly more influence by proxy than previously.

I also think that it is highly likely Pemberton may not have really wanted the job till the season's end; equally, our recent experience in appointing assistants on long term deals isn't great, so that may have been a factor.

I respect your opinion that LJ is inexperienced, and that you are unhappy with his appointment; I'm not going to argue he the fact he's early in his career.  I question who else we could realistically attract, but that is another discussion. 

But in the case of keeping the foundations Pemberton and Wade have established, compared to some of the alternative names mention (Pearson, Moyes, Warnock etc) they would more than likely have required or demanded to bring in their own backroom staff, and to shape the club around them, for good or for ill.

In LJ we've a young coach who is open about and has been acknowledged as seeking advice and assistance wherever possible, so I think that it is highly likely the next few games may see minor tweaked, rather than whole scale change, and it be more about his influence on the dressing room.

As say what you will about his experience at this level, you cannot deny he has faced relegation battles at clubs in worse shape than ourselves before and pulled them out of the mire, and that is valuable to us just now.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this appointment will work out for us, while acknowledging he is neither popular nor is he experienced.  But either way; him and the players get my full support.

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

It all depends on if he wanted the job (it seems he did), he was told to give Ashton a headache, IMHO he did, then gets someone of LJ level come along. It will depend if he thinks, WTF are they having a laugh, or great he's the best young coach in the country. I don't believe anyone knows him well enough to anticipate the outcome. 

Apart from reading a few positive comments on here I have yet to speak to any City fan who thinks LJ coming is anything but ridiculous and a farcical appointment. So Pembo leaving would hardly be a shock. He would want paying off methinks as in football you wait for the bullet or get another job. First decent offer and I think he will be out of here. 

Got to say that I've not spoken to anyone who believes that LJs appointment is either "ridiculous" or "farcical"…why would it be? As you say very few know him well enough as a manager to predict the outcome…and predicting the outcome of any appointment is an inexact science, witness SC's "welcome" from many on here. I'd be surprised if he'd been appointed in the certain knowledge that it would drive John Pemberton out. 

But let's give the guy a chance. He's got a reasonable track record for one so young. One of the features of GJ's time was the surreal sight of fans sitting behind the manager dug-out giving the most successful manager in our recent history dogs abuse when things weren't going well. Let's not go down that route again.

Archived