IGNORED

If You're Disappointed With Today's Managerial Appointment

Xiled

Have a look at the final list of prospective managers/coaches that Oddschecker was offering before Lee Johnson's appointment:

mana2.png.3d7b56ca172dd4e75510170946c860

Then discount the following:

• Manager's working at a lower league level or with less experience (Mark Cooper, Keith Curle, Paul Tisdale....)
  • Unrealistic targets who will probably get better/safer offers in the months ahead (Brendan Rogers, David Moyes, Martin Jul, Michael Laudrup....)
  • Ex-managers (Danny Wilson, Gary Johnson, Joe Jordan, Keith Millen....)
  • Old-timers who won't be looking for the challenge that is BCFC (Joe Jordan, Harry Redknapp....)
  • Managers with a history than includes one or two really bad managerial episodes (Paulo DiCanio, Uwe Rosler, Roy Keane, Malky Mackay, Lee Clarke....)

And realistically who are you left with?

From that list of 'possible' candidates, only Nigel Pearson or Gareth Southgate would have made it through for me.  Both of those would have definitely wanted their own coaching staff and this feels like a time when it would be sensible to hold onto John Pemberton, Wade Elliott etc.  With their brief but proven ability to get results with our squad, it is definitely right to appoint a head coach rather than a manager.  Plus, we also get a new set of eyes on the squad.  Say what you like about Lee Johnson but he hasn't taken an easy option yet with the jobs at Barnsley and Oldham.

If you're disappointed that Johnson was the board's choice, who was out there who would have definitely been a better appointment?

Neil warnock, love him or hate him. He's an experienced manager and knows the championship. More importantly I think we have the squad to stay up but Lj is an uninspired choice, lansdown claiming he's the man we need. It's easy for him to say that when he's not a season ticket holder and spends most games down in Jersey. Personally now the appointment is made we shouldn't dispute it but you can't argue the fact that Lee Johnson has no championship experience and represents a massive gamble for the club. His managerial record is average and he's very young. The only real positive I can see is that he will put his heart and soul into the job. If he does take us up the championship then expect him to move on to a bigger club. I agree with you on pearson and Southgate but I could only imagine Southgate would be interested. All in all Lee is the less experienced version of his father and I couldn't see many wanting Gary back let alone a weaker version.

1 hour ago, Xiled said:

Have a look at the final list of prospective managers/coaches that Oddschecker was offering before Lee Johnson's appointment:

• Manager's working at a lower league level or with less experience (Mark Cooper, Keith Curle, Paul Tisdale....)
  • Unrealistic targets who will probably get better/safer offers in the months ahead (Brendan Rogers, David Moyes, Martin Jul, Michael Laudrup....)
  • Old-timers who won't be looking for the challenge that is BCFC (Joe Jordan, Harry Redknapp....)
  • Managers with a history than includes one or two really bad managerial episodes (Paulo DiCanio, Uwe Rosler, Roy Keane, Malky Mackay, Lee Clarke....)

From that list of 'possible' candidates, only Nigel Pearson or Gareth Southgate would have made it through for me.  Both of those would have definitely wanted their own coaching staff and this feels like a time when it would be sensible to hold onto John Pemberton, Wade Elliott etc.  With their brief but proven ability to get results with our squad, it is definitely right to appoint a head coach rather than a manager.  Plus, we also get a new set of eyes on the squad.  Say what you like about Lee Johnson but he hasn't taken an easy option yet with the jobs at Barnsley and Oldham.

If you're disappointed that Johnson was the board's choice, who was out there who would have definitely been a better appointment?

although I dismissed many of the names, Looking and what we ended up with I'd taken half of them including holloway

Tisdale/Pearson especially

1 minute ago, Bowie said:

although I dismissed many of the names, Looking and what we ended up with I'd taken half of them including holloway

This. People can Can dress it up all they like but LJ was the safe and cheap option.

9 minutes ago, Bowie said:

I don't get the Tisdale wankathon. He's hardly pulled up trees by their roots, and if he was so highly rated, then someone would have taken a punt?

Just now, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I don't get the Tisdale wankathon. He's hardly pulled up trees by their roots, and if he was so highly rated, then someone would have taken a punt?

Im no massive fan, but compared to LJ....I'd go for him in a heartbeat

39 minutes ago, UncleAlbert said:

Neil warnock, love him or hate him. He's an experienced manager and knows the championship. More importantly I think we have the squad to stay up but Lj is an uninspired choice, lansdown claiming he's the man we need. It's easy for him to say that when he's not a season ticket holder and spends most games down in Jersey. Personally now the appointment is made we shouldn't dispute it but you can't argue the fact that Lee Johnson has no championship experience and represents a massive gamble for the club. His managerial record is average and he's very young. The only real positive I can see is that he will put his heart and soul into the job. If he does take us up the championship then expect him to move on to a bigger club. I agree with you on pearson and Southgate but I could only imagine Southgate would be interested. All in all Lee is the less experienced version of his father and I couldn't see many wanting Gary back let alone a weaker version.

He's at most games, loves the club and lives in Guernsey, as for Warnock I think if you had listened to any of his statements he rules himself out.

1 hour ago, Xiled said:

Southgate is a dreadful manager and I don't get the Pearson love in, he clearly hadn't got the most of LCFC last season, and realistically would be holding out for a better club than us?

33 minutes ago, Bowie said:

I'd have Nick Higgs as chairman before that man as manager, especially as his most recent experience was relegating Millwall was it not? 

52 minutes ago, UncleAlbert said:

Neil Warnock (for whatever reason) said at a very early stage that he would not be joining us so whether you want him at the club or not isn't relevant.

I think it's unfair to say that Lee Johnson is a 'version' of his father.  He's taken two tough jobs and done pretty well with nearly no money to spend.  He might have taken advice from his old man but just because they are related it doesn't mean his ideas aren't his own.  Lee can definitely blame Gary for his height though....

I agree that Lee Johnson is a massive gamble but mostly because he'll get less time and patience from the fans than the majority of recent managers.  If the tide turns against him he'll be hounded out in days rather than weeks or months.  But he'll know that already.

As for loyalty, well, when was the last time we lost a manager to a better club?  Basically it doesn't happen because we usually fall out with them long before they reach the limit of their ambition at Bristol City.  We're not a big club but a good manager/coach could take us further than the Alan Dicks.  Why would Johnson move on?

25 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm feeling better about it than I thought I would. Pemberton staying - having done so well over his four league games - gives the appointment a different dynamic. Fresh ideas alongside established knowledge of the current playing squad, plus a little bit of momentum.

Me too after a bit of time to think about things, lets face it though, things could implode pretty quickly for all involved if we lose 2-3 on the bounce!! Brave man LJ

7 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Explain why please?

A hit and run insult suggests you don't really have much of an argument.

Thanks.

PS it's you're an imbecile, not your an imbecile.

Alanis Morissette is working up another verse :yes: 

Look the geezers in charge,wouldn't have been my choice but what do I know or for that matter do you lot that are slagging him before he's even stepped back in the gate,give the bloke a chance and keep getting behind the team as you all have been in recent weeks ,it's the only way he will become a success .CTID

31 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I'd have Nick Higgs as chairman before that man as manager, especially as his most recent experience was relegating Millwall was it not? 

I'll put a word in for you 29AR because Nicholas will be available soon.

But seriously, Is it possible that Stephen Lansdown is motivated by the challenge of succeeding in football using an unconventional philosophy in the same way that he used a novel approach to gain fantastic success in the financial services industry ?   Hargreaves Lansdown did not build their business by following traditions which existed at the time they experimented and used unconventional methods which took the market by storm and eventually became a model which others followed.

Clearly he could throw more money at City than he does and clearly he could bribe a top name to come or bring in a fancy foreign coach but perhaps he has finally come around to thinking that, for him, the biggest thrill will be to see his philosophy succeed. Perhaps his next step, on Monday, will be to explain that philosophy and for what it's worth I believe you should all be ready to embrace it.       

6 hours ago, bert tann said:

But seriously, Is it possible that Stephen Lansdown is motivated by the challenge of succeeding in football using an unconventional philosophy in the same way that he used a novel approach to gain fantastic success in the financial services industry ?   Hargreaves Lansdown did not build their business by following traditions which existed at the time they experimented and used unconventional methods which took the market by storm and eventually became a model which others followed.

Clearly he could throw more money at City than he does and clearly he could bribe a top name to come or bring in a fancy foreign coach but perhaps he has finally come around to thinking that, for him, the biggest thrill will be to see his philosophy succeed. Perhaps his next step, on Monday, will be to explain that philosophy and for what it's worth I believe you should all be ready to embrace it.       

Wise words from one of the game`s respected elder statesmen as always.

6 hours ago, bert tann said:

Wise words indeed. I was thinking along similar lines after having a drink with a Charlton fan before the game yesterday. Charlton are in a right mess, with owners they feel are ruining their club, hence the black and white scarves and banners yesterday. That's not a place City have been for a long time.

What if Steve Lansdown sees the whole things as a longer term project than most big money investors in football? I believe he does. Whether it's a project to secure a personal legacy, or something for his son to run SL has always given me the impression that he's in it for the long haul. And that's unusual in modern football. 

So whilst I'm not fired with wild enthusiasm for the LJ appointment I can see a logic in it. There's always an element of rewriting history when it comes to him and his Dad. GJ was the most successful City manager in a generation and we loved him for it…or almost everyone did…his son was a key player in the most successful side we've followed in decades. Good luck to him.

After a while of it sinking in I'm really quite happy. He was part of a very good period in this clubs history and him coming back has reminded me of all those memories with a renewed hope that we can once again reproduce that.

Lansdown said many years ago he was fed up of constantly changing managers and their assistants and coaches when sacked and he wanted to create a structure where a manager would fit into the exisiting structure. 

It's took a few years to put that structure in place but I'm delighted we finally have it in place. It will give us long term stability.

Archived