IGNORED

The pitch

Red Army 75

The pitch this season is looking a bit worn in certain areas . Considering the money spent on it I'm quite surprised. I noticed the egg chasers are playing on it Friday night . With the poor weather I'm not expecting a great surface for our important game on Saturday. Don't mind the rugby down the gate but be interested to see the state of it Saturday.

11 minutes ago, Shaun Morgan said:

The pitch this season is looking a bit worn in certain areas . Considering the money spent on it I'm quite surprised. I noticed the egg chasers are playing on it Friday night . With the poor weather I'm not expecting a great surface for our important game on Saturday. Don't mind the rugby down the gate but be interested to see the state of it Saturday.

Yes I was concerned about this too.

1 minute ago, Tomarse said:

It's not the rugby that's the problem

Maybe not the reason normally, but it's not going to do it much good this weekend with the way the weather has been.

2 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

It's not the rugby that's the problem

As far as I know it's partially wear and tear and the natural grass not adhering to the desso as it should - one of the ground staff told me that last year. It looks good but is the surface is not as robust as it should be.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes I was concerned about this too.

Maybe not the reason normally, but it's not going to do it much good this weekend with the way the weather has been.

If you look at the main areas of the pitch it's fine, even after rugby where they've had scrums etc. I think it's much more apparent they've been fighting a disease that's eating the grass on the edges initially. I also think we're also becoming very expectant of a bowling green all the time when really the majority of the pitch looks fine 

37 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

If you look at the main areas of the pitch it's fine, even after rugby where they've had scrums etc. I think it's much more apparent they've been fighting a disease that's eating the grass on the edges initially. I also think we're also becoming very expectant of a bowling green all the time when really the majority of the pitch looks fine 

Those sorts of things are very rare for sports pitches. Have you been told that? 

• Admin
8 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

Those sorts of things are very rare for sports pitches. Have you been told that? 

It's correct, Desso team have been in attendance to sort this problem. It's hopefully sorted but damage won't be fixed until the summer 

3 hours ago, phantom said:

It's correct, Desso team have been in attendance to sort this problem. It's hopefully sorted but damage won't be fixed until the summer 

Unless they're relaying the whole pitch during the close season, this is likely to be a problem again next season. This sort of thing is so hard to get rid of, as seen with man utds pitch a couple of seasons ago. The whole pitch had to be relayed, 3 years before scheduled.

Can I just say one thing?

Some of the moderating beasty-weisties were going on t'other day about having OTIB awards.

IF there is a category for 'Most Imaginative Thread Title', a wish to nominate this thread.

****in inspired.

:worship2:

Uncle TFR

13 hours ago, EmersonsKev said:

I believe the under soil heating that is still to be switched on will also assist the pitches growth and helps stabilise the surface.

I think this is the answer. The pitch was OK last year because it got lots of sunlight from where the new stand is now. This season the light has been reduced but the undersoil heating is not in place. Once this is operating it will be switched on to encourage the grass to grow.

• Admin
44 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I think this is the answer. The pitch was OK last year because it got lots of sunlight from where the new stand is now. This season the light has been reduced but the undersoil heating is not in place. Once this is operating it will be switched on to encourage the grass to grow.

No - as above there is a parasite in the desso part of the pitch

I admit I am no green fingered expert, but how would warm ground help grass grow? Surely it is all about sunlight etc? -Undersoil heating wont make a bit of difference

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

No - as above there is a parasite in the desso part of the pitch

I admit I am no green fingered expert, but how would warm ground help grass grow? Surely it is all about sunlight etc? -Undersoil heating wont make a bit of difference

No, raising the temperature does affect grass growth. Undersoil heating is mainly used for this purpose rather than melting snow as in the old days. Modern stadia restrict the amount of sunlight on the pitch

• Admin
3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

No, raising the temperature does affect grass growth. Undersoil heating is mainly used for this purpose rather than melting snow as in the old days. Modern stadia restrict the amount of sunlight on the pitch

As they say, you learn something new everyday

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

This will hugely be beneficial next year, most prem clubs have theres running pretty much flat out trying to get the grass to 12C. There gas bills are frightening!!  

Well, I, for one, DO NOT like the way this thread is developing.

It sounds to me as if we are blaming the poor old pitch for our woes, when we know who is actually to blame.

:yes:

Do I need to say his name ............

Lee Johnson (actual size)

Uncle TFR

Archived