IGNORED

Big Decision?

Bs4Red

Would you rather?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The premiership is every football fans dream, being it in even for just one season. 

My question is would you as a fan rather have one season in the Premiership, be relegated and spiral back into League one like (Blackpool, Pompey) or be safely in the championship for the next 10 years as a middle of the road team, sometimes fighting relegation and playoffs. 

The latter. Although these are not the only two options. You could  conceivably do what, say, West Brom or Leicester have done. Long stay in the Championship, with the odd foray into the top flight, reinvest, gradually build, then kick on and establish your status up top. Improbable but possible with the right management. 

3 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

The latter. Although these are not the only two options. You could  conceivably do what, say, West Brom or Leicester have done. Long stay in the Championship, with the odd foray into the top flight, reinvest, gradually build, then kick on and establish your status up top. Improbable but possible with the right management. 

Agree but that one would be too easy to choose so thought I'd go for the extreme

No brainer for me, like nearly all city fans under 40, the Premier League is a lifelong dream. I'd love a season up there! In my lifetime we've bounced between the Championship and L1, during which time we've seen seasons like Blackpool are enduring now, struggling to stave off relegation to L2.

You'd say year in the Prem I expect, teams like Southampton, Norwich, Leicester(?) have all dropped to league 1 from the premier league and all have made it back, as others have said the money you'd make from a season in the premier league should mean that any drop to the championship should mean that you shouldn't drop to league 1 and if you do a Wolves/Wigan then you should near enough be guaranteed a straight return to the championship.

Let's walk before we run, so Championship security is the first aim.

We need a few years without looking over our shoulder at League One to allow the Academy to begin producing a regular supply of first team material. And to have a squad that will give us a fighting chance of staying up in the first year but which will not disintegrate if we drop back after one season. 

Agreed that this may lead to some seasons which don't have the added spice of a promotion or relegation battle but a good expectation of longer involvement in the FA and Football League cups.

50 minutes ago, eric04 said:

All true, but then why are we bothering? 

The Championship is a great division to play in.  

Most fans and the board, though, want Prem football but I don't care for it.  If we get there then so be it.  At some point just enjoying the football in front of your eyes is far more important than promotion.

You can be happy with your lot without endlessly striving to be higher.  In a similar vein, many clubs are happy to remain in the Prem and care not about reaching European football.

Why does it have to be one of those two options?

What about spend a season in the Premiership, bank the money and invest it in the club, allowing it to become a sustainable club at Championship level whilst building for another crack at the top division?

One season of Premier League football would cover our current losses for four or five years without factoring in the additional support it would gather in the long term. It's the best way to achieve a stable position in the Championship.

People say they would take The Prem even if it was only for 1 year, but is that true?  Would you really be content to be at the bottom of the Prem for a season just counting the money? We are a fickle lot down this way and I can't help but think if we got promotion to the Prem  and faced instant relegation, we would be screaming for massive investment and the sacking of our manager/coach/board. My personal choice ? I just enjoy us being successful whichever league we are in and I happen to think the Prem is corrupt and full of people chasing the £ with no loyalty to any club.

How anyone would not like to see the likes of Aguero, Rooney, Silva and Sanchez at Ashton Gate is beyond me!

As long as City stayed within the new system and keep the club running as a business, whilst not forgetting it's the fans that make the club how could anyone be against it? 

Everyone knows how it feels to play a Prem team in FA Cup so imagine that every week?! 

15 minutes ago, brad blit said:

How anyone would not like to see the likes of Aguero, Rooney, Silva and Sanchez at Ashton Gate is beyond me!

As long as City stayed within the new system and keep the club running as a business, whilst not forgetting it's the fans that make the club how could anyone be against it? 

Everyone knows how it feels to play a Prem team in FA Cup so imagine that every week?! 

Would be nice, but it ain't the end of the world.  Plus I could do without their endless antics.

Plus I quite like 23 home league games a year, rather than 19.  I also like 3pm kickoff on a Saturday as the norm.  Saturday 3pm at Ashton Gate will probably only happen 10 times a year.

In many respects I've been there done it and yes , got the T shirts. Between 1965/66 we spent 11 years in the 2nd tier (championship) before getting promoted to the top tier (prem) Those 4 years of our second spell in the top division have provided a life time of great memories, Those away days were special, Arsenal away , Coventry on the last day of the first season, Man U and Mabbuts hat trick in a 3-1 win.magic. Rubbing shoulders with the big boys,fantastic. Then the fall,from the Top to the basement in 3 torrid seasons. The life and death of the club in the balance. But we survived. Would I want to live through that again ?  Good guestion....I've supported my club in every division from top to bottom and always will. Lets get to the Prem and take the money , take the fall and rebuild again.

21 minutes ago, brad blit said:

I appreciate what your saying here brad but we as fans are struggling to handle a difficult season in the Championship, even though there are some quality players each week. Watching the Prem stars week in week out while your team is being relegated is a no from me. Add in what Cotswold Red says above about kick off times and players antics, well, there you have it for me. Don't forget the OP was asking about 1 year in the top flight.

Doing a Pompey and doing a Blackpool are completely different things (apart from being owned and destroyed by Arseholes.)

Blackpool- one season in the sun. Gained some neutral fans.

Portsmouth- 5 seasons(?) in the Prem, two major cup finals, one FA cup trophy and a European home game against AC Milan.

Although Portsmouth were in bigger trouble after I would risk it to do a pompey but I wouldn't to do a Blackpool.

To make the poll tougher to answer and more interesting that's why I only used those two options. Obviously if we could have 5 years in the prem we would take it. It's a lot tougher to chose between these two! For me id say it's extremely tough.

As football grows and the money in football increases, the quality of the championship right now probably equates to the premiership 10/15 years ago, the money will only become more and the quality will get better. But would I rather see the elite elite play? Very tough for me

43 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

To make the poll tougher to answer and more interesting that's why I only used those two options. Obviously if we could have 5 years in the prem we would take it. It's a lot tougher to chose between these two! For me id say it's extremely tough.

As football grows and the money in football increases, the quality of the championship right now probably equates to the premiership 10/15 years ago, the money will only become more and the quality will get better. But would I rather see the elite elite play? Very tough for me

to be honest it was more about the FA cup win and the European adventure than Prem for me! I don't think I'd risk much to see City in the top flight (with football how it is today) but I'd do anything to see City lift a major domestic honour.

7 hours ago, brad blit said:

Is part of the attraction not that it`s a one off though? I just remember Swindon and Derby when they went up - I wouldn`t want to be regularly losing 5-0 at home to Liverpool et al every week no matter how world class the opposition`s players were. I totally get the money side of it and think we wouldn`t be stupid enough to pay 8mil + 40k a week for some player most of us have never heard of but I still don`t think I would want it.

Ask me next season when we`re 2nd at Easter and my view might be different then!

Between a rock and hard place on this one...obviously everyone would love to do a 'Leicester'...or become a Swansea or Southampton or even Stoke...but we have a long way to go to get there imho.

The Championship is a great league, but it is full of players and managers doing the rounds.

As a Club...WBA fans must have the most fun...it's never boring there. Would hate to follow Villa...got to be the most boring Club in the Prem for years.

18 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

The premiership is every football fans dream, being it in even for just one season. 

My question is would you as a fan rather have one season in the Premiership, be relegated and spiral back into League one like (Blackpool, Pompey) or be safely in the championship for the next 10 years as a middle of the road team, sometimes fighting relegation and playoffs. 

Premier league.

10 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Doing a Pompey and doing a Blackpool are completely different things (apart from being owned and destroyed by Arseholes.)

Blackpool- one season in the sun. Gained some neutral fans.

Portsmouth- 5 seasons(?) in the Prem, two major cup finals, one FA cup trophy and a European home game against AC Milan.

Although Portsmouth were in bigger trouble after I would risk it to do a pompey but I wouldn't to do a Blackpool.

And Pompey are still getting the same attendances as us....

Archived