IGNORED

Tomlin

Sniper

Always the same criticism of class players at City. They get the blame because they are thinking faster than the rest

Anyone else remember Chris Crowe in the cup in the sixties at Spurs ?

Recently signed by us from Forest and an English international. One of the best inside forwards we've had since Big John

3 hours ago, Steve Watts said:
2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Thought the consensus on here was JK constantly offside was because he is so far ahead of everyone else in his thinking. Are we now saying he isn't good enough to read Lee Tomlin? Is that the new excuse for why he is still regularly caught offside then.

We would need to drastically improve our squad to get the real benefit of Tomlin. He was a real class act, but two steps ahead of everyone else. Great performance from the whole team, but he showed the level we need to be aspiring to. If JK could read him he could've scored a few today.

Interesting this. Years ago a certain Mr Marcus Stewart came to Bristol City and we all creamed our pants on his arrival from such a higher standard and he would score loads and lead us to many great victories. 

What happened was that he didn't score a lot and was caught offside on very many occasions. Originally it was assumed that it was the fault of the current team that were not good enough to 'read' the superior footballing brain of this ex-premier land dwelling creature.

In time it was proven that Mr Stewart was in fact a bit pants and the rest of the team were ok. Unfortunately.

Now I'm not saying JK is pants - he certainly has a lot more pace than Marcus had - but.......as a professional footballer, and a striker, you need a basic reading of the game and a knack of watching the line. The problem is, JK doesn't seem to have this at the present time.

3 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

I don't know what some of you were watching today, but he was great again he has made a huge difference for us going forward. He's another option and means Kodjia isn't the focal point of our attack.
Him, Golbourne and O'Donnell could be the difference in us staying up IMO.

Got to agree , Tomlin like Trundle  and Jet before him has the X factor , but feel he has an extra something , we will see in the next few weeks , but do feel that is important we bring in a good striker as not sure who's finishing the chances I feel he will help create as he settles in.

I'd be VERY keen to sign him. He has something different from the norm, like someone said Trundle, a very good likeness. Tomlin would fall into the "maverick" footballer band. Class. He seems to want to work as well. Don't know if he is a "team" player or a trouble maker like so many mavericks have been.

Today I loved the fact that at 2/1 we just didn't sit deep and invite them onto us, we looked dangerous and occupied them more than they did us. LJ must have been chuffed with the team play today.

On 13 February 2016 at 20:55, Rossineri said:

Tomlin has eyes in the back of his head and can see around corners. He will need runners to see him at his best, as he will find them. Has a bit of the Jacki  about him.

Guy sat next to me said the same.

I saw signs yesterday that him and Kodjia are on the same wavelength.  The great thing is he wants the ball all the time, can take the ball off anyone, whether in tight spot it not, and be strong enough to keep it.  Bright times ahead.

From his initial interview, he wants to play games.  He did say he was gutted that Callum Wilson got injured, because he thought they'd just started to click.  Fell out with Howe.  Gonna be courted by bigger and better teams than us, but sometimes they get a feeling for a club....we can but hope.  Would take us to get comfortably safe, from a good end to the season, and then show ambition in the summer.  A bit like the end if 13/14 going into 14/15!

Tomlin, imho, would get in to ANY Championship team and we are lucky to have him here. 

I shouldn't think there is even a glimmer of hope that he will be staying beyond this season, so let's enjoy watching him and hope he brings enough to continue the improved results. 

He oozes class and is a joy to watch. Rich man's Lee Trundle or poor man's Gazza, either way he is a different level to what we are used to and I love the way he plays the game. 

Archived