IGNORED

Well Done Ref!

downendcity

Just watched MOTD and in the Palace Watford game the ref awarded a penalty for the Palace defender holding on to the striker at the first corner of the game.

About time too, and as the pundits commented, if this was done more consistently it would soon cut this practice out. Interesting to hear Pardew, obviously miffed, admitting his player was holding but begrudging that the ref gave it, implying that usually don't as though this calls the refs decision into doubt.

57 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Happened to Flint yesterday in second half as Ipswich defender almost pulled the shirt off his back but did nothing and who can remember the Swindon game at home last season. Obviously most refs turn a blind eye!

I think they tend to go for the six of one, half a dozen of the other approach - attackers aren`t entirely blameless TBF. As far as yesterday with Flinty was concerned, the only way that Berra could get anywhere near him was to try and pull him back and even that didn`t work. As the Ipswich fan`s match report said, it was the first time this season he seen Berra bullied like that.

At P'boro' some years ago, there was the usual pushing & pulling going on whilst waiting for a corner kick to arrive and the Ref decided there was too much and awarded City a penalty.

Home fans obviously and we City fans, were amazed by this as such behaviour usually goes unpunished every week.

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

Just watched MOTD and in the Palace Watford game the ref awarded a penalty for the Palace defender holding on to the striker at the first corner of the game.

About time too, and as the pundits commented, if this was done more consistently it would soon cut this practice out. Interesting to hear Pardew, obviously miffed, admitting his player was holding but begrudging that the ref gave it, implying that usually don't as though this calls the refs decision into doubt.

I agree and disagree. It's quite right the ref gave it but I feel a bit sorry for Palace for conceding a penalty for something that pretty much every team does every week.  As you say, the solution is that all refs start giving it all the time and that'll cut it out but, if not, it'll just be the odd team being unlucky whilst everyone else gets away with it. 

3 hours ago, INCRED said:

Happened to Flint yesterday in second half as Ipswich defender almost pulled the shirt off his back but did nothing and who can remember the Swindon game at home last season. Obviously most refs turn a blind eye!

The funny thing yesterday was that for the second goal the defender actually held Flint up and once Flint broke free he pushed Flint onto the ball. Both meant that the timing of the run was perfect and the header was unstoppable.

1 hour ago, Barry Sheene said:

Well done to the referee yesterday thought he was excellent. Controlled the game well got mostly everything spot on and added to the entertainment value by not looking for trouble. Very impressed.

Thought he was decent yesterday, mainly because for once we had a referee who didn't want to be centre of attention.

52 minutes ago, kit said:

Whilst i thought the ref was mainly decent, I have no idea what planet he was on to think o'donnell was time wasting.

Repeatly warned from when we went two nil up. Slowly placing the ball down to kick it. Smashing his boots against the post I was surprised he lasted until injury time. I seen the ref warn him on at least two ocassions and also speak to Korey Smith to hurry him up .

1 minute ago, Barry Sheene said:

Repeatly warned from when we went two nil up. Slowly placing the ball down to kick it. Smashing his boots against the post I was surprised he lasted until injury time. I seen the ref warn him on at least two ocassions and also speak to Korey Smith to hurry him up .

Yep, spotted that too.  

Nice to be in a winning position at home this season, where we've been able to time-waste / take the sting out of the fame.

I personally hate this "habit" of the modern game.  It is nothing short of cheating.  I simply don't understand why the FA/UEFA/FIFA does not crack down on this.  As someone said, it would soon be eliminated from the game if the Referee gave a pen every time he saw it happen.

Had I still been refereeing, I would warn both teams before the game that if I see any holding or arms around in the box I would award a pen, and I would give it every time.

37 minutes ago, foghornred said:

Every corner the Ref could give a free kick for the defence or a penalty for the attack but it is about time that it was stamped down on because its becoming a wrestling match in some penalty areas and its just play on. 

If the ref did give a free kick for the defence or a penalty for the attack every time it happened, it would soon be stamped out. It's because refs don't that you see it at virtually every corner and free kick into the box.

In yesterday's Palace game not one of the pundits disagreed that it was a penalty and Pardew's defence was that they are not normally given, not that it was the wrong decision.

Archived