IGNORED

First away day

Devereux

Hi all,

I have supported City since my first game against Chesterfield at the Gate. We won 4-0 - I think it was the 88-89 season. I have also supported Bristol Rugby during this time as well as playing rugby most Saturdays. I've been to see a fair few games at the Gate but have never actually been to an away game. Being a rugby man (as well as football man) I was always put off of the away games because it seemed the away fans were treated like animals. Kept in their part of the ground, only allowed to drink in allocated pubs and always being shepherded around by the police. It just never really appealed to me to be treated like that so I just stuck to home games.

For a while now though I have listened to away games on the radio and been a bit jealous of the fantastic support/atmosphere that is created at City away days. As each season goes by I have been more and more tempted to give it a try, so I thought I would..

Next week at MK Dons will be my first away game with City and I am thoroughly looking forward to it. I am bringing a mate from London who is an AFC Wimbledon fan (as so plans to give us his full 100% support!). 

Can't wait to finally experience the atmosphere. 

Any tips? :)

10 minutes ago, Devereux said:

Hi all,

I have supported City since my first game against Chesterfield at the Gate. We won 4-0 - I think it was the 88-89 season. I have also supported Bristol Rugby during this time as well as playing rugby most Saturdays. I've been to see a fair few games at the Gate but have never actually been to an away game. Being a rugby man (as well as football man) I was always put off of the away games because it seemed the away fans were treated like animals. Kept in their part of the ground, only allowed to drink in allocated pubs and always being shepherded around by the police. It just never really appealed to me to be treated like that so I just stuck to home games.

For a while now though I have listened to away games on the radio and been a bit jealous of the fantastic support/atmosphere that is created at City away days. As each season goes by I have been more and more tempted to give it a try, so I thought I would..

Next week at MK Dons will be my first away game with City and I am thoroughly looking forward to it. I am bringing a mate from London who is an AFC Wimbledon fan (as so plans to give us his full 100% support!). 

Can't wait to finally experience the atmosphere. 

Any tips? :)

just enjoy the day...
i have been going away since 1983(bar a small break)...away games are just fantastic

Many of us have been to plenty of away games over many, many years and my "tip" would be - enjoy it!

Obviously the result matters but the travelling, listening to the car radio, using the overpriced motorway services, meeting other City fans and having a drink ( assuming you're not driving) and, importantly don't take an overdose of booze and annoy the local coppers.

MK doesn't have that "proper" away game feel for a few reasons, was still enjoyable last season though.

One bit of advice, if your seat is at the back, someone will probably be stood in it as that's where standers tend to congregate. At MK they leave loads of seats spare though so people should have no problems sitting/standing where they want.

12 minutes ago, Devereux said:

Going to look into trains from London. Guess there may actually be more MK fans than city fans coming from the capital. 

Good luck with that! 

No doubt there are other people on here that use the away games trains regularly but many years ago there used to be a football special that many of us used. Don't think it still happens these days.

And...if you've left it this late to buy a ticket you could up paying top price.

35 minutes ago, Devereux said:

Going to look into trains from London. Guess there may actually be more MK fans than city fans coming from the capital. 

I think you'll find there are more attractive teams to support than MK Dons, for people living in London..! 

57 minutes ago, Devereux said:

I doubt it.

Plenty of trains from Euston to Bletchley station which is the nearest to ground. I think there is a bus service from station to stadium but I walked it an about 20/25 minutes.

I'm glad you are joining in the away day fun. I don't do many now as I get too tired with long days out.

I've always really enjoyed travelling to watch City away. It's a good day out and even better if you can make a weekend of it. Some of my favourite memories have been at away games (1-0 at Anfield and 5-4 at Mansfield spring to mind) as well as some painful ones (like losing 5-1 at Blackpool and that thrashing at Swansea at the end of Tinman's reign). Also some funny moments like QPR's keeper (Lee Camp?) taking a bite out of a pasty that had been chucked at him from the away end.

Hope you enjoy the trip, Devereux.

2 hours ago, Devereux said:

Not based on last years experience. The train I got from Euston had more city fans.

Being exiled in the SE I almost only go to away games. The atmosphere is generally more concentrated in an away end and better for it.

The best of all the days are away days.

12 hours of joy puntuctured by 45 to 90 mins of football.

My very best experiences are travelling away with City and it all started at Southend in 93, a young me was given a stern talking to by a supervising officer and the battle lines were set.

First away day on the train was Watford in 97 and my life changed forever.

My closest City friendships were forged on away days and then galvanised at the following home game.

Too many stories to recount.

No regrets.

Game on.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well they had an attendance of 28,127 a couple of weeks ago....when did we last have that many in?

From that to less than 9k v Boro in a couple of weeks (crowd was 11k, but 2,300 were Boro). That Chelsea game was thousands of people going to see Chelsea 

14 hours ago, 054123 said:

The best of all the days are away days.

12 hours of joy puntuctured by 45 to 90 mins of football.

My very best experiences are travelling away with City and it all started at Southend in 93, a young me was given a stern talking to by a supervising officer and the battle lines were set.

First away day on the train was Watford in 97 and my life changed forever.

My closest City friendships were forged on away days and then galvanised at the following home game.

Too many stories to recount.

No regrets.

Game on.

Was that the first game of the season, beautiful Summer's day?

Quite a 'boisterous' day if that was the same match.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Not all of the visiting fans paid to get in. Doubt they will sell us their much sought-after keeper because of this

12 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Not all of the visiting fans paid to get in. Doubt they will sell us their much sought-after keeper because of this

Then it was most definitely that game.

I mentioned on a thread some time ago, that, apart from the generosity that day of the Roots Hall staff in letting some of us enter without paying, there was a wedding taking place in the Church located on one corner of the ground and, when the bride left the Church, there was a loud and what seemed to be never ending chant of 'Get your t*ts out for the boys' and 'Divorced in the morning'.

A wonderful Saturday afternoon, though. 

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I think it may have been early September, but a gorgeous day. Ian Bird told us all to fork off after bagging a consolation goal.

Archived