IGNORED

Don't forget Lee Johnson on sounds of the City MONDAY NIGHT

Never to the dark side

I think we all knew LJ was an accomplished talker, but the half hour I heard last night really was very impressive.

Of course he probably said the same things to the boards and local radio stations at Oldham and Barnsley and it can hardly be said he put his ideas into practice particularly successfully at those clubs.

Lack of time played it's part at both those clubs no doubt, but the losing run at Barnsley, in particular, indicates he's stubborn to change (like SC) even when his methods and tactics are clearly not bringing results.

Barring relegation caused by complete capitulation from here on in he will get time here though and I think he's already gone some way to winning over even those fans who were most against his appointment.

As far as representing the club, putting over his ideas, and instilling optimism and enthusiasm for his appointment amongst the many doubters, he could hardly have made a more impressive start.

Results, as always, will be key though, plus his capability to adapt if they do not prove to be as impressive as his words.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think we all knew LJ was an accomplished talker, but the half hour I heard last night really was very impressive.

Of course he probably said the same things to the boards and local radio stations at Oldham and Barnsley and it can hardly be said he put his ideas into practice particularly successfully at those clubs.

Lack of time played it's part at both those clubs no doubt, but the losing run at Barnsley, in particular, indicates he's stubborn to change (like SC) even when his methods and tactics are clearly not bringing results.

Barring relegation caused by complete capitulation from here on in he will get time here though and I think he's already gone some way to winning over even those fans who were most against his appointment.

As far as representing the club, putting over his ideas, and instilling optimism and enthusiasm for his appointment amongst the many doubters, he could hardly have made a more impressive start.

Results, as always, will be key though, plus his capability to adapt if they do not prove to be as impressive as his words.

It's funny, Noggers, that we swapped a couple of posts on here some time ago about how we wanted a manager to represent our football club and, while we were both supportive of Steve Cotterill being given time, we disagreed on how we felt he represented us publicly as a football club.

You asked at the time if I could name five managers who I felt would give Bristol City a better public image than Cotterill and, while Lee Johnson wasn't one I named then, over the last 10 days he's delivered everything publicly I'd want our manager or head coach to deliver.

Hopefully you'll see exactly what I was after now - personable, intelligent, articulate, determined, even self-deprecating. Probably most of the things Cotterill wasn't, really. He just needs to put out a team on the pitch that's as impressive as he is off it now!

If I'm totally honest, every manager we've ever appointed I've wanted to succeed, of course I have, and that applies to us all (I'd hope!) - but I'm not sure I've ever wanted a head coach to succeed with us more than I do Lee.

22 hours ago, The Journalist said:

It's funny, Noggers, that we swapped a couple of posts on here some time ago about how we wanted a manager to represent our football club and, while we were both supportive of Steve Cotterill being given time, we disagreed on how we felt he represented us publicly as a football club.

You asked at the time if I could name five managers who I felt would give Bristol City a better public image than Cotterill and, while Lee Johnson wasn't one I named then, over the last 10 days he's delivered everything publicly I'd want our manager or head coach to deliver.

Hopefully you'll see exactly what I was after now - personable, intelligent, articulate, determined, even self-deprecating. Probably most of the things Cotterill wasn't, really. He just needs to put out a team on the pitch that's as impressive as he is off it now!

If I'm totally honest, every manager we've ever appointed I've wanted to succeed, of course I have, and that applies to us all (I'd hope!) - but I'm not sure I've ever wanted a head coach to succeed with us more than I do Lee.

Don't get me wrong RT, I haven't changed my mind about Cotts., I was similarly impressed by his initial interviews - if maybe in different ways - and I still think he generally represented the club well, although the pressure undoubtedly showed at times this season.

I have no problem with managers pointing out irksome things like over watered pitches, opposition players forever going down holding their heads, and blatantly poor penalty decisions, all of which can affect results and infuriate paying fans. In fact I welcome such forthright talk.

As for LJ, as I said, a very impressive start, but let's see how he reacts to criticism of team selection, tactics, substitutions and defeats. When fans question his judgement after an inevitable duff signing, or when he let's a fans' favourite leave. All of which will undoubtedly occur. How he responds to syrupy but inane questioning from cub radio reporters who, in time, will be asking annoying questions to illicit a newsworthy quote in the heat immediately after battle. How, when he is seen to keep picking underperforming favourites, or stubbornly refuses to change formation and tactics if we're on a losing run, he keeps his cool amid mounting criticism from all sides.

All or most of this of this will almost certainly happen at some stage, and it's only then we can truly compare his temperament and suitability to the club to that of SC.

He's made no decisions yet to upset fans or split opinion, signed no players, hasn't even lost a game, and he's breezed in confidently but all that will soon change and the pressure will be on.

One thing we can say with some certainty is that history shows us that any managers' temperament will be tested to the maximum at Bristol City Football Club.

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Don't get me wrong RT, I haven't changed my mind about Cotts., I was similarly impressed by his initial interviews - if maybe in different ways - and I still think he generally represented the club well, although the pressure undoubtedly showed at times this season.

I have no problem with managers pointing out irksome things like over watered pitches, opposition players forever going down holding their heads, and blatantly poor penalty decisions, all of which can affect results and infuriate paying fans. In fact I welcome such forthright talk.

As for LJ, as I said, a very impressive start, but let's see how he reacts to criticism of team selection, tactics, substitutions and defeats. When fans question his judgement after an inevitable duff signing, or when he let's a fans' favourite leave. All of which will undoubtedly occur. How he responds to syrupy but inane questioning from cub radio reporters who, in time, will be asking annoying questions to illicit a newsworthy quote in the heat immediately after battle. How, when he is seen to keep picking underperforming favourites, or stubbornly refuses to change formation and tactics if we're on a losing run, he keeps his cool amid mounting criticism from all sides.

All or most of this of this will almost certainly happen at some stage, and it's only then we can truly compare his temperament and suitability to the club to that of SC.

He's made no decisions yet to upset fans or split opinion, signed no players, hasn't even lost a game, and he's breezed in confidently but all that will soon change and the pressure will be on.

One thing we can say with some certainty is that history shows us that any managers' temperament will be tested to the maximum at Bristol City Football Club.

Interesting points and I can't disagree with any of that.

One thing LJ has done which has really impressed me is be very accessible. Ok, the Lions thing was a bit of a stunt suggested by points west, he's done lots of other things already which I think are essential for a modern manager/head coach.. He's appeared on Twentyman twice now, he's been really strong in all interviews he's given but also; he's on Twitter. He's our first manager to be on Twitter . S'OD has one but doesn't really use it, LJ however says he reads all tweets and uses it to interact with fans.

In my eyes, it's a risk. Things may well be rocky at some point and he'll almost certainly get some unsavoury messages as a result. He's also got to be careful with anything he favourites or retweets as they can easily be misconstrued.

I like all this though, and in my eyes it's essential in modern times.

Archived