IGNORED

BRISTOL CITY: "Kodjia like a 17 or 18-year-old" claims Robins head coach Lee Johnson

Curr Avon

3 hours ago, Londoner said:

Great man management - slating a player who is already shot of confidence.

Sorry but without him we would be down this season, for me Kodjia has been one of the very few success stories this season.

I don't get the without him we'd be down. I love him and think he is fantastic but many of his goals have been almost meaningless. Scored a few at the end of games where we were battered(Burnley, Fulham). Two at Birmingham which we lost by two. We've got 8 points in the games he's scored. Now that 8 points is vital but if he wasn't here we'd still probably be close to where we are now goals wise. 

Maybe his presence means more than the 8 points but he hasn't scored many important goals. He's definately hit a wall at this point of the season but I expect him to be back to normal in mid March when the schedule calms down a bit

14 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don't get the without him we'd be down. I love him and think he is fantastic but many of his goals have been almost meaningless. Scored a few at the end of games where we were battered(Burnley, Fulham). Two at Birmingham which we lost by two. We've got 8 points in the games he's scored. Now that 8 points is vital but if he wasn't here we'd still probably be close to where we are now goals wise. 

Maybe his presence means more than the 8 points but he hasn't scored many important goals. He's definately hit a wall at this point of the season but I expect him to be back to normal in mid March when the schedule calms down a bit

Football can throw up strange stats and here's one I read the other day, Harry Kane's goals last season actually earned Spurs 23 points, this season his goals have only been responsible for Spurs gaining 1 point all season and he has also scored an own goal responsible for losing Spurs 2 points.

Please note I am not having a go at Kane, because he is a terrific player, the stat was to counter last seasons appraisal that Spurs rely to heavily on Kane and now they don't.

What should have been said was " johnathans goals have been pivotal in keeping us out of the relegation zone, he's still acclimatising to,English football and will be a huge success when he learns more about the way we play, with improved positional awareness and movement he could well be our saviour.

What LJ said was pretty badly thought out.

I must admit I expected more from our manager. 

12 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Football can throw up strange stats and here's one I read the other day, Harry Kane's goals last season actually earned Spurs 23 points, this season his goals have only been responsible for Spurs gaining 1 point all season and he has also scored an own goal responsible for losing Spurs 2 points.

Please note I am not having a go at Kane, because he is a terrific player, the stat was to counter last seasons appraisal that Spurs rely to heavily on Kane and now they don't.

Proves a lot of stats are a lot of bollox.

Possession stats being a prime one who gives a shit if we have 70% and  then lose!!

7 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

What should have been said was " johnathans goals have been pivotal in keeping us out of the relegation zone, he's still acclimatising to,English football and will be a huge success when he learns more about the way we play, with improved positional awareness and movement he could well be our saviour.

Good fishing 

10 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

It's fair enough. Just pointing out his goals haven't been crucial to our cause. A few in injury time of games we've lost. His goal against Wolves being the only winner I believe. He's been a great signing. We need him back to that form though. Him in that form on top of our recent defensive performances will keep us up comfortably. 

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It's fair enough. Just pointing out his goals haven't been crucial to our cause. A few in injury time of games we've lost. His goal against Wolves being the only winner I believe. He's been a great signing. We need him back to that form though. Him in that form on top of our recent defensive performances will keep us up comfortably. 

But if we had defended better at Birmingham, where he scored two, we'd have at least one more point, and at home to Brentford, away at Ipswich (that's 3 games in which he scored 4 goals and we conceded 10 and collected one point)etc. Plus, without his late "consolation" our GD would be worse, and who knows what it might all come down to at the end of the season. Could be fine margins

1 hour ago, spudski said:

If he has, then LJ will give him short shrift in future, if he's cherry picking parts to make a story out of nothing and giving the wrong impression.

I'm sure his old man would've warned him about AS. 

14 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I really don't get the Stockhausen rubbish. He holds back big time to keep the peace most of the time. What exactly do you want a local journey to write ? The McInnes comments got lots of follow on here, yet AS would have known about that at the time, but chose not to write as it would have been locally damaging. He does choose the situation and circumstance 

Far better look at the real issues closer to home. On Saturday we beat promotion hopefuls Ipswich. I thought we had lost judging by the scattergun approach to blaming every player in the side for something. So now it is take aim at Kodja. Lee's comments were misplaced in the media, but then he has some learning to do too. If Kodja plays like an under 18 player, then maybe his management is as equipped as an under 21 boss. Some things should not be said in public. If he does that more often he will soon have bigger issues to deal with in the squad. Even if he is totally correct. Sometimes less is better and you need to keep certain issues behind closed doors. 

The midfield and front line have been misfiring for some time, and they all need to work on playing better together. 

I really don't think the comments are damaging to Kodja  fella...I see it as the opposite.

It just goes to show what a great player we have on our hands. If he can do what he's done so far, with less tactical knowledge than someone else his own age, then he's done a blooming good job.

It's not Kodjia's fault he's been less trained in the way's of British football. He is after all, late in coming into Pro football, and new to these shores.

I suspect LJ's intentions have been misconstrued in the article.

He's basically saying that once Kodijia gets up to speed tactically, then we will see more from him.

I suspect the language barrier hasn't helped either.

It's how AS has written the article that's caused people to question the intention...that's how I see it...maybe you could also see it that way?

I have nothing against Stockhausen, but he does let himself down on Twitbook, claiming he's ITK when he isn't.  As a journo, he needs to 'sensationalise' things to sell copies / get more advertising....so can't blame him for the story.  Hearing LJ explain the whole thing and in context tonight on RB was what I expected.

He has obviously fallen out with the AG hierarchy so gets no 'scoops' (Godsiff) these days.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I have nothing against Stockhausen, but he does let himself down on Twitbook, claiming he's ITK when he isn't.  As a journo, he needs to 'sensationalise' things to sell copies / get more advertising....so can't blame him for the story.  Hearing LJ explain the whole thing and in context tonight on RB was what I expected.

He has obviously fallen out with the AG hierarchy so gets no 'scoops' (Godsiff) these days.

I don't think he likes BCFC and I believe that the feeling is mutual, it is obvious from when we signed Moore and Baker, that he is not and never will be ITK.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I know it's only opinions, but as I posted above, I think JK contributed quite a bit to Saturday's win, without it being about him doing exciting stuff in and around the box.

He unselfishly ran the channels, gaining us territory from throw-ins because the defender had no easy way out, or free kicks.  He didn't have much short stuff to feed off of, but his running long, created significant space for Korey and Marlon to get forward.  This isn't all down to JK, I accept, but his stretching them long, is a part of it, and means he's not (close to being) a liability when he's not scoring.  How many times has he turned his man inside out inside the box and slid a ball across the 6 yard box for a tap-in, without anyone getting the touch it deserved....several times.

I accept I err on being on the complimentary side of a player's performance, but I do find too many too quick to have a go.

it is the hardest position on the park to play, because you always get judged on goals, but several other sides would love to have both his goal tally and his all-round play in their team.  He is by no means faultless, and I hope LJ's comments are a little out of context.

Yep, perhaps 'close to being a liability' was a bit too strong.

I love his running, his hounding and endeavor. It's just that a lot of it has no coordination. You have to know when to do and when not to, and how to do it effectively. Sometimes - although as fans we love to see it - it's not always actually helping the team, and can weaken a formation not to mention wasting his own energy that the team might better use elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

I really don't think the comments are damaging to Kodja  fella...I see it as the opposite.

It just goes to show what a great player we have on our hands. If he can do what he's done so far, with less tactical knowledge than someone else his own age, then he's done a blooming good job.

It's not Kodjia's fault he's been less trained in the way's of British football. He is after all, late in coming into Pro football, and new to these shores.

I suspect LJ's intentions have been misconstrued in the article.

He's basically saying that once Kodijia gets up to speed tactically, then we will see more from him.

I suspect the language barrier hasn't helped either.

It's how AS has written the article that's caused people to question the intention...that's how I see it...maybe you could also see it that way?

This must be a first, I agree with you absolutely 100% ! :facepalm:     ;)

On 2/15/2016 at 17:19, Londoner said:

Great man management - slating a player who is already shot of confidence.

Sorry but without him we would be down this season, for me Kodjia has been one of the very few success stories this season.

On 2/15/2016 at 21:56, YorkshireSection said:

Well he seems to have produce some instant results doesn't he. I hope his man management continues to disappoint you.

Archived