IGNORED

Final Nail in the FA cup Coffin?

Barrs Court Red

1 minute ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Mid week schedule for FA cup.

I've said for some years that the FA cup is increasingly losing relevance (which is a shame). Surely moving to week nights would be the final blow? 

Very sad for the F.A. Cup, and the football traditions we hold dear in this country.

Yet more greed from the big clubs.

3 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I've said for some years that the FA cup is increasingly losing relevance (which is a shame). Surely moving to week nights would be the final blow? 

Yep, will kill it stone dead.

The moment the FA Cup died can be traced back to allowing Manchester United to pull out.

The only way I can see it having any importance to the big clubs again, is by awarding a Champions League spot to the winners.

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Won't be so keen to go to the away games on a midweek - which is a shame if we were to get a decent tie

Simple solution is to have a Champions League spot for the winners and it will become of interest again

Probably right, Phants.

However, this would need the agreement of U.E.F.A and the European national F.A.s ?

If so, then it is unlikely. Spain and Italy treat their own Cup competitions as second rate. Can't see them giving their Cup Winners an extra place at the expense of a league position.

19 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Yep, will kill it stone dead.

The moment the FA Cup died can be traced back to allowing Manchester United to pull out.

The only way I can see it having any importance to the big clubs again, is by awarding a Champions League spot to the winners.

Would that be the year that the FA pressured Manchester United to withdraw from the FA's own showpiece competition?

I don't have a great deal of love for United, but beating them with this particular stick always strikes me as inappropriate.  

1 minute ago, The Gasbuster said:

Probably right, Phants.

However, this would need the agreement of U.E.F.A and the European national F.A.s ?

If so, then it is unlikely. Spain and Italy treat their own Cup competitions as second rate. Can't see them giving their Cup Winners an extra place at the expense of a league position.

I thought that the FA decide on who to allocate spots to.

21 minutes ago, phantom said:

Won't be so keen to go to the away games on a midweek - which is a shame if we were to get a decent tie

Simple solution is to have a Champions League spot for the winners and it will become of interest again

Would of been funny with Wigan a few years back.

21 minutes ago, phantom said:

The issue doesn't appear to be with interest in the competition.  Once again, we're looking at affecting over 800 clubs for the benefit of 6 or seven who play in Europe a few times a season (badly).  

Chuffing joke.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Would of been funny with Wigan a few years back.

Wouldn't have been with Millwall in 2004. Man U were already in the CL so I would guess the losing finalists would have been given the place in the CL. Imagine Millwall hosting someone like Barca?? :whistle:

31 minutes ago, phantom said:

SHould be the case. I dont see why finishing fourth should be rewarded.

• Admin

Assumedly the FA make the decision on this?

As mentioned above I can't believe anyone out of the top places in the Premier League would be in favour of this.

Does the impact go right down to the grass roots clubs who start in August or just from those in Round 3 onwards to suit the Premier league sides in Europe? Potentially it will have a MASSIVE impact on clubs in the tournament

• Admin
4 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Also the argument over having teams like Millwall and Wigan in Europe falls down really because it just means the big boys have to actually try in the cup so would take it more seriously (making upsets and underdogs less likely).

and let's not pretend they probably wouldn't have half a chance against some of the non entities from Eastern Europe that play in the qualifying rounds

23 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

May just be. I'd like to see the Johnstone's Paint Trophy gone. League Cup should be for teams playing in the Championship, League 1, and League 2. Let all the teams compete in the FA Cup. Oh, and introduce a winter break.

I was going to suggest just scrapping the League Cup...but I think @Red_Wizard's suggestion has more merit.

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

Very sad for the F.A. Cup, and the football traditions we hold dear in this country.

Yet more greed from the big clubs.

I assume we class ourselves among these big clubs....the West Brom threads being full of posts calling for us to rest players so we can focus on the league...

Heard this announced on the radio, saying the issue would be reviewed following discussion between the FA and the Premier League.

If ever there was a case of the tail wagging the dog, this is it.

How many clubs enter the FA Cup? I don't know the answer, but I do not that there are a hell of a lot more non-premier league clubs entering than premier clubs that do, and yet it seems to be those few clubs that will dictate the future of the most famous cup competition in the world.  

Although like the majority of City fans, i would still love to see City in the top flight, competing with the big boys, that desire is waning with every passing year when I see the way in which Tv money is influencing the game at the top end.

2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Would that be the year that the FA pressured Manchester United to withdraw from the FA's own showpiece competition?

I don't have a great deal of love for United, but beating them with this particular stick always strikes me as inappropriate.  

Still, it was all worthwhile - they were absolutely tremendous in the World Club competition that year :whistle:

2 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

No sky have already done that!!If sky want that then that's what will happen.They don't give a toss about anything other than the Premier!lots of people cant afford their prices so cant watch their team on tv.Even the cricket has gone the same way.Glad BT are having a go but their prices are beginning to get too dear for some!

2 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

May just be. I'd like to see the Johnstone's Paint Trophy gone. League Cup should be for teams playing in the Championship, League 1, and League 2. Let all the teams compete in the FA Cup. Oh, and introduce a winter break.

I definitely wouldn't like to see a winter break introduced. I love the Boxing Day and New Year's fixtures.

Archived