IGNORED

Final Nail in the FA cup Coffin?

Barrs Court Red

2 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

May just be. I'd like to see the Johnstone's Paint Trophy gone. League Cup should be for teams playing in the Championship, League 1, and League 2. Let all the teams compete in the FA Cup. Oh, and introduce a winter break.

You mean a winter break so the top clubs can go out to Asia and have some big money spinning friendlies to boost their brand awareness in the Asian market?

Let the money men change it for a year or two, then when all the big clubs piss off to their own European Super League, us little clubs can put it back where it belongs

It is loosing some of it's shine though, I don't remember the last Cup Final I watched, as a kid we were all glued to the tv from about 11am onwards. Was a real tradition, even my Mum would watch it with us, and she is no football fan

Why don't they just give the Premier League clubs the option to withdraw from the FA Cup, and then those that withdraw can explain to their fans why they are passing up the opportunity of winning a trophy.

Most of them play weakened teams anyway, as they have massive squads for exactly this reason.

2 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

I assume we class ourselves among these big clubs....the West Brom threads being full of posts calling for us to rest players so we can focus on the league...

Which of course, we did. A televised replay which we had a decent chance of winning and we rest 4 of our best players, and didnt even look interested, both on the pitch and in the stands. The FA Cup died years ago.

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I definitely wouldn't like to see a winter break introduced. I love the Boxing Day and New Year's fixtures.

I agree I was hoping that the winter break would be the 2 or 3 weeks after the new years fixture or even in Feb when its usually at its coldest.

• Admin

I can understand the desire to eliminate replays and I wouldn't even be massively against it but why do they need to switch to midweek? Let the PL games be played midweek instead, why does it matter both games still need to be played right?

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Let the money men change it for a year or two, then when all the big clubs piss off to their own European Super League, us little clubs can put it back where it belongs

It is loosing some of it's shine though, I don't remember the last Cup Final I watched, as a kid we were all glued to the tv from about 11am onwards. Was a real tradition, even my Mum would watch it with us, and she is no football fan

I thought the big clubs would have gone years ago - I cant understand why they haven't, I'm starting to get concerned that they will never leave.

We used to watch it every year but it was special ages ago as it was one of the only matches you could regularly watch in a season now you could watch football almost any day of the week.

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

I can remember every cup winner through the 60s, 70s and 80s, and even a good way into the 90s. I can even remember the beaten finalists and goalscorers.

I can't remember who won the cup a couple of years ago, and am at a loss to remember the finalists for the last 5-10 years.

The reason of this is simple. In my youth the cup final was a major event on the football calendar and was always the last match of the football season - the climax if you like, of the football year. Since the advent of the premier league the FA Cup has increasingly become a nuisance to the top clubs, and is an inconvenience even to championship clubs, either in their quest for promotion to the gold paved roads of the premier league or, like us, desperately trying to hold on to championship status so as to keep them just one rung away from "the promised land". 

While looking back we do so through rose tinted glasses, but it did seem that 30 years ago it was glory that players and clubs strived for, as riches tended to follow on from success. Nowadays it is money that seems the be all and end all for clubs and players, as i think there are many players who will happily look back at their careers as being successful based on the balance in their bank accounts, rather than the trophies on their sideboards.

The greedy few intend to continue clawing as much money out of the game into their pockets as possible. 

The entire English Football pyramid benefits in some way from the competition from the County FA's to preliminary rounds to the final all who participate get a slice of the pie.

The rewards to those who get ties and especially replays against a club either "bigger" in their division or being "bigger" by being a division(s) above can be the difference of them securing their very existence and remaining the heart and soul of the local communities they represent. 

The FA have to stop tinkering with what isn't broken and grow a backbone by standing upto the Premier League for once on this issue to protect the integrity of the game for the majority and their primacy.

They cannot forget that this is THE  most prestigious club cup competition in the world and respected by football associations all over the world - it's like that for a reason in its current format.

Remember everyday the Premier League grows stronger, greedier, fatter, more inflated in their self importance whilst the gap grows and leaves the rest of football behind. 

1 hour ago, Dave said:

Why don't they just give the Premier League clubs the option to withdraw from the FA Cup, and then those that withdraw can explain to their fans why they are passing up the opportunity of winning a trophy.

Most of them play weakened teams anyway, as they have massive squads for exactly this reason.

Entry to the FA Cup is optional. I believe QPR and Brentford both missed the Cup some years ago because the Club Secretaries forgot to send in the application.

It is the JPT which is compulsory for teams in the lower two divisions.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

I can remember every cup winner through the 60s, 70s and 80s, and even a good way into the 90s. I can even remember the beaten finalists and goalscorers.

I can't remember who won the cup a couple of years ago, and am at a loss to remember the finalists for the last 5-10 years.

The reason of this is simple. In my youth the cup final was a major event on the football calendar and was always the last match of the football season - the climax if you like, of the football year. Since the advent of the premier league the FA Cup has increasingly become a nuisance to the top clubs, and is an inconvenience even to championship clubs, either in their quest for promotion to the gold paved roads of the premier league or, like us, desperately trying to hold on to championship status so as to keep them just one rung away from "the promised land". 

While looking back we do so through rose tinted glasses, but it did seem that 30 years ago it was glory that players and clubs strived for, as riches tended to follow on from success. Nowadays it is money that seems the be all and end all for clubs and players, as i think there are many players who will happily look back at their careers as being successful based on the balance in their bank accounts, rather than the trophies on their sideboards.

Very much this.  Had a similar conversation with some friends not so long ago:  Southampton v United in 1976 is the first final I recall watching, and then probably watched every one until late 1990s:  I know travelling meant I missed the 1998 final.  Could have a decent stab at naming the scorers, not just the winners, runners up and scores of those matches.  Since then?  Not a chance.  Do I know what year Cardiff or Millwall played in the final?  Not without Googling.  And can I be arsed to looked it up and remember?  No.

Maybe it seemed to be more important growing up since it was generally the only domestic game you got to watch live.

There are a number of reasons the FA Cup has lost its shine, Man Utd (who I really dislike BTW) withdrawing is a small reason. In no particular order -

1. The growth of riches in the Premier league, finishing 17th is more 'valuable'than winning the Cup.

2. More foreign players, who don't particularly value cup finals.

3. The success of the play offs, playing at Wembley in a 'cup final' to get promotion.

4. Wall to wall football on TV, the Cup final is no longer one of the only chances to watch football on the box.

5. The increased focus on athletes and fitness, meaning players are no longer 'allowed' to play 3 times a week and 60 odd games a season, so some are rested for Cup matches.

6. More foreign managers, who don't particularly value cup matches e.g Klopp

7. The FA allowing clubs to play weakened teams.

8. The growth of the Chamipons league and extra European football.

9. Because of all the above, fans voting with their feet. Take City for an example, you used to be able to take City's average league crowd and add on 5000 for an FA Cup match, now most likely you would need to take away 5000 (based on averages of course).

very sad, a European Champions League spot for the FA Cup winners would certainly help to boost the Cup's appeal. The greedy top clubs would never agree to it though.

22 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

There are a number of reasons the FA Cup has lost its shine, Man Utd (who I really dislike BTW) withdrawing is a small reason. In no particular order -

1. The growth of riches in the Premier league, finishing 17th is more 'valuable'than winning the Cup.

2. More foreign players, who don't particularly value cup finals.

3. The success of the play offs, playing at Wembley in a 'cup final' to get promotion.

4. Wall to wall football on TV, the Cup final is no longer one of the only chances to watch football on the box.

5. The increased focus on athletes and fitness, meaning players are no longer 'allowed' to play 3 times a week and 60 odd games a season, so some are rested for Cup matches.

6. More foreign managers, who don't particularly value cup matches e.g Klopp

7. The FA allowing clubs to play weakened teams.

8. The growth of the Chamipons league and extra European football.

9. Because of all the above, fans voting with their feet. Take City for an example, you used to be able to take City's average league crowd and add on 5000 for an FA Cup match, now most likely you would need to take away 5000 (based on averages of course).

very sad, a European Champions League spot for the FA Cup winners would certainly help to boost the Cup's appeal. The greedy top clubs would never agree to it though.

Anyone know when this became an acceptable practice?  Or at least when punishments ceased.  I recall teams getting fined for fielding weakened teams where some bigger match was on the horizon.

10 hours ago, ciderup said:

Galatasary have 'welcome to hell', Millwall actually have the proper one! Bermondsey is an awful place, just horrible.

Zampa road has an ambience all of its own....one that says **** off!!...........went there when 'the goat' scored twice in a 2-0 win..a bonkers day...the Millwall boys were literally foaming at the mouth!...sharp exit?

16 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Zampa road has an ambience all of its own....one that says **** off!!...........went there when 'the goat' scored twice in a 2-0 win..a bonkers day...the Millwall boys were literally foaming at the mouth!...sharp exit?

I was there that day. Wasn't it the 'Nicholl out peaceful protest' that day? Ended up with South Londons finest pelting us with sharpened coins?

Lovely place!

11 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I recall teams getting fined for fielding weakened teams where some bigger match was on the horizon.

As well as teams from all leagues fielding weakened teams in the cup, the dominance of league football extends over internationals. How many Man Utd and Arsenal players have had 'injuries' when called up for England or Wales, only to play 90 minutes for their club a few days later?

Nothing more annoying than a foreign Prem manager announcing a young player needs to be rested rather than play for his country or go to a tournament. That manager overlooks the fact he has played said young player 42 times that season for his club, but that is different....

Don't Premier League clubs have to announce a squad of 25 players, by my Maths that is two teams of eleven with some to spare. It seems the more money players are paid, the less games they want to play.

The FA are the guardians of English football, which is laughable when it appears the PL are telling them how to run their own competition.

Remember, other ideas have included PL "B" teams in the 1st and 2nd divisions and the JPT.

Leave the FA Cup alone. If a team wants to withdraw then let the, I am sure their supporters would be chuffed.

Just now, Dave said:

Don't Premier League clubs have to announce a squad of 25 players, by my Maths that is two teams of eleven with some to spare. It seems the more money players are paid, the less games they want to play.

The FA are the guardians of English football, which is laughable when it appears the PL are telling them how to run their own competition.

Remember, other ideas have included PL "B" teams in the 1st and 2nd divisions and the JPT.

Leave the FA Cup alone. If a team wants to withdraw then let the, I am sure their supporters would be chuffed.

It Is a maximum of 25 players though you can have unlimited u21 players.

No problem.

Mr Lansdown is a friend of Mr Scudamore.

Negotiate long term and significant financial remuneration.

For devaluing the FA cup and for helping to ease their fixture list the compensation should be vast to benefit the many v the handful.

• Admin
17 hours ago, Chappers said:

Trouble with a winter break is that the UK weather is too unpredictable. As for this proposal, all about a few rich clubs and not the grass roots, so business as usual.

26 minutes ago, WTMS said:

For devaluing the FA cup and for helping to ease their fixture list the compensation should be vast to benefit the many v the handful.

We all know that the top end clubs would be off playing friendlies somewhere else in the world if there were given time off

3 hours ago, phantom said:

We all know that the top end clubs would be off playing friendlies somewhere else in the world if there were given time off

Big thing is that you could take January off, and it's mild, whilst having games postponed in December and February. Now, if the top greedy clubs tool a winter break from August to May........

Archived