IGNORED

If you were the Leicester fan, would you cash the bet?

reddogkev

4 minutes ago, Griffin said:

I would have cashed out a couple months ago, imagine if you did then for 1/5th of the price.

A couple of months back, I would say the bookies were still confident Leicester wouldn't stand a chance to finish a top, so wouldn't have offered

anything substantial.

By cashing out you play into the bookies hands. They always win. However it is once in a life time money, hence why people play the lottery, despite its odds being greater than the winnings.If the cash you're offered will allow you to do something you've always wanted or make a real difference then cash out, if not then play on. There was a lady on deal or no deal who was offered 80,000 to deal, but she risked it on the quarter million because she needed a quarter mill to achieve her dream. She lost, but still with £80,000 she would have probably passed away (she was an older lady)  before she raised the rest.

Personally, I'd play on. The idea of owning my own home is a pipe dream for many young, single, low earners like myself so I'd go for the jackpot as it were, but you have to play not only the odds of actually winning, but play the odds of life too.

48 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Let's say you've bet £100 at 500/1 and ignore tax to make the maths easy.

You think you have a 50/50 chance of winning then you should sell for anything over £25k.

I think Leicester have a slightly worse than 50/50 chance simply due to squad depth.

That's one of the (few) benefits of betting... No tax consequences! 

5 hours ago, Nibor said:

Let's say you've bet £100 at 500/1 and ignore tax to make the maths easy.

You think you have a 50/50 chance of winning then you should sell for anything over £25k.

I think Leicester have a slightly worse than 50/50 chance simply due to squad depth.

Certainly not 50/50, one bookie still has them at 7/2, if you are due to win £20,000 a bookie would offer you round about £3,000 to cash out at their present odds, would of been more before the Arsenal game, this will change after every game, if Leicester were to lose this Saturday that £3,000 will decrease dramatically

I'd have been a lot more defiant about it before that Arsenal result. Can't help but feel that's the turning point, though I desperately want them to see it through. 

Would be a great story just for those handful of hopeless dreamers who backed their side with their hard earned no matter how ridiculous it seemed at the time!

7 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

By cashing out you play into the bookies hands. They always win. However it is once in a life time money, hence why people play the lottery, despite its odds being greater than the winnings.If the cash you're offered will allow you to do something you've always wanted or make a real difference then cash out, if not then play on. There was a lady on deal or no deal who was offered 80,000 to deal, but she risked it on the quarter million because she needed a quarter mill to achieve her dream. She lost, but still with £80,000 she would have probably passed away (she was an older lady)  before she raised the rest.

Personally, I'd play on. The idea of owning my own home is a pipe dream for many young, single, low earners like myself so I'd go for the jackpot as it were, but you have to play not only the odds of actually winning, but play the odds of life too.

Good point,with life being 6\4 against!!...

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Look at it a different way. 

Would you buy his bet off him for £1,000 right now..?

I wouldn't. What Leicester have done is amazing and fair play to them but they are not going to win the league, IMO. 

If we are talking about the guy with £50 @ £500/1 then the only answer is bite his hand off and use the exchange to lay Leicester. Recoup the 1k if they don't do it and at approx 7/2 it'll put a dent of 7.5k into the 25k if they win. You could use the same method to make a profit regardless of the result (assuming there are enough people on the exchanges looking to back Leicester).

I know a bloke who put £10e/w(1000/1)( Leicester to win league and £50 to finish in top four(500/1). Bet Fred tried to pay him off just before Christmas with £750 for both bets!! He said no. I personally would let bet ride as if you were mad enough to put it on surely this is a position you would have dreamed off at start of season!

I wouldn't cash out, I think they still stand a real chance.

As Tom has pointed out, no cup games, so plenty of chance to rest compared to the others & on paper, the easier run-in.

No real injury issues & the squad really seem to be still grounded in their understanding of what's in front of them.

I think it's theirs for the taking & I really don't see them faultering.

1 hour ago, Hellfire Corner said:

I put on £10 for City to get promoted this season. Strange I haven't heard from the the bookies asking me if I want to cash out. Maybe they will contact me soon!

Call me crazy, heck call me a dreamer, but I'd fancy a big wedge on the same bet in the summer.

City to win promotion next season, got to be worth a punt.

And back to Leicester, was there a cabal of Leicester fans who felt quietly confident about their chances this season???

No I wouldn't cash out. Firstly, I am sure the people who put these bets on didn't really think the bet would come home and were prepared to lose the money. Secondly I truly believe ( and hope) they do win it,their run-in is favorable with no cup distractions.

I think the pressure will continue to build every week, if they keep winning, and it's all about how they cope with that, so far they have done that admirably.

In my opinion Spurs are their biggest threat but they have the Europa League which has proven an issue for teams in the past. Leicester just need to focus on themselves, keep calm and do the one game at a time thing.

I would wait and see what team Spurs put out tonight. If it's full strength and they look like they're taking Europa League seriously then let it ride, if it's a load of kids, hit the button and get your money. I'm a little biased as my Dad was a Spurs fan, so I'm one of the few who don't want Leicester to win it! I'd love to see Spurs win it, all the young, English talent they have there - can only be good for the future of the national team

Rarely bet, and have not bet in this way, but on the basis I am a spread the risk sort of person, can you cash out half of it and let the other half ride? Otherwise would be looking to at least cover it with some bets on the N London sides. Mind you, that is most likely why I bet very little!

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

No I wouldn't cash out. Firstly, I am sure the people who put these bets on didn't really think the bet would come home and were prepared to lose the money. Secondly I truly believe ( and hope) they do win it,their run-in is favorable with no cup distractions.

I think the pressure will continue to build every week, if they keep winning, and it's all about how they cope with that, so far they have done that admirably.

In my opinion Spurs are their biggest threat but they have the Europa League which has proven an issue for teams in the past. Leicester just need to focus on themselves, keep calm and do the one game at a time thing.

Personally don't agree with your first line. It's one thing loosing £10 at the start of the season, but they could take a guaranteed £3,000. That's actual money, big difference to just loosing the £10 now.

With bets I now normally set an amount of how much I'll cash out on, e.g. if the bet could win £700 from £10, but I could cash out at £110 I would. Stops me getting greedy or kicking myself it a late goal goes in and meaning I'd loose everything (which had in the past).

£3,000 pays for season tickets for the next few years. I'd take the money.

3 hours ago, Tomarse said:

No cup games, no European distractions and one game left against a top 5 side. I'd say they've still got a good chance. It's how they respond to last Sunday. 

Same as Liverpool a couple of years ago. One mistake later and that challenge slipped away. If Lady Luck is shining on Leicester they will win it. Norwich and WBA next. 6 points from these games and the Arsenal game is well out of mind and the charge is on again. 

Archived