IGNORED

WARNING : if you're planning to cross the Avon gorge on a high wire whilst juggling and riding a unicycle

Major Isewater

I'm reading Steven Brindle's magnificent book, ''Brunel, the Man Who Built the World'' at the moment.

Here's a quote from the early days of working on the Suspension Bridge.

''To help transfer materials from one side to the other, a wrought-iron rod 1in. in diameter and 1,000 ft. long was made, and pulled into position spanning the gorge, and a travelling basket hung from it, pulled by ropes. On the first day, the bar kinked, the basket stuck there and its ropes became entangled with a ship passing below. Isambard insisted that he should be in the basket which made the next run, and when, perhaps predictably, it got stuck in the middle, he swung up to the bar, to free it, high above the chasm. It was a very public display of physical courage, not unmixed with self-advertisement.''

There are no reports as to whether he he took a can of Natch with him on this mission.

On 20/02/2016 at 17:26, Aizoon said:

And you tell Health & Safety today...

:gasmask: just kidding hunny :) i guess you need to cycle a x the avon gorge to get to see the match :) please don't think i am being nasty. i just like to have a bit of a banter :) i know yr not a gas head. just done that for a laugh :) i hope you see the fuuny side of it when you are cycling a x the gorge lmho :) he he he :P:P:)  love gob on a stick dee :):) that is true believe me :) i don't take prisoners. :laugh: :) wishing you a happy sunday love dee :* :thumbsup: x x x x x x x

Archived