IGNORED

Rivalry

Miah Dennehy

I seemed to have woken in a rather philosophical mood this morning, and was pondering what makes us enjoy-or is it need- rivalries so much. I have plenty of City mates, who, of course I would not wish to see any harm come to, yet come 5 o'clock on a Saturday I'm hoping they are all crying in their beer. Your results don't mean anywhere near as much to me as they used to -maybe it's the current gap between us- but I'm certainly happier when you aren't winning week in, week out.

I see plenty of shite spouted on both forums about 'All Rovers fans are this' 'All City fans are that' which is obviously a load of old bollocks. Walking out of the ground yesterday I heard someone say that he couldn't wait to get into work on Monday to 'Give them shitheads some', which, apart from the fact that given the clubs respective positions makes it an odd thing to say- is still actually an odd thing to say! And I daresay, some City fans 'couldn't wait' to give us stick about our new owners - and I have the texts to prove it.

I used to be nervous as hell about derby days, but now I do miss them. You need the lows to enjoy the highs, no doubt Donowa's winner, was that little bit sweeter for you given your previous poor run of form in the fixture, as was the 3-1 in the Cup at Ashton for me, after you had dicked us 3-0 a couple of weeks earlier.

Well that's my 'Thought for the day'

Here's hoping Brighton give you a hammering on Tuesday, followed by more of the same at Forest on Saturday -oh and I hope the coach breaks down on the way home :) 

6 minutes ago, Miahdennehy said:

I seemed to have woken in a rather philosophical mood this morning, and was pondering what makes us enjoy-or is it need- rivalries so much. I have plenty of City mates, who, of course I would not wish to see any harm come to, yet come 5 o'clock on a Saturday I'm hoping they are all crying in their beer. Your results don't mean anywhere near as much to me as they used to -maybe it's the current gap between us- but I'm certainly happier when you aren't winning week in, week out.

I see plenty of shite spouted on both forums about 'All Rovers fans are this' 'All City fans are that' which is obviously a load of old bollocks. Walking out of the ground yesterday I heard someone say that he couldn't wait to get into work on Monday to 'Give them shitheads some', which, apart from the fact that given the clubs respective positions makes it an odd thing to say- is still actually an odd thing to say! And I daresay, some City fans 'couldn't wait' to give us stick about our new owners - and I have the texts to prove it.

I used to be nervous as hell about derby days, but now I do miss them. You need the lows to enjoy the highs, no doubt Donowa's winner, was that little bit sweeter for you given your previous poor run of form in the fixture, as was the 3-1 in the Cup at Ashton for me, after you had dicked us 3-0 a couple of weeks earlier.

Here's hoping Brighton give you a hammering on Tuesday, followed by more of the same at Forest on Saturday -oh and I hope the coach breaks down on the way home :) 

It certainly is disappointing we haven't had a Derby game with something actually ridding on it. I appreciate we've had the JPT games but league games are always more important to me personally.

Time will tell whether the take over is a positive for you guys, personally I have my doubts but you never know. 

For a city the size of Bristol, the success of both clubs has been disappointing 

I'm rather hoping we develop rivalries with clubs in the top half of English football (I am progressive, and forward thinking), rather than hankering after the days gone by of lower league derby days v Rovers or Swindon.

Truly, the Championship has so much to offer for us, it's such an exciting league, it can provide just about everything I want out of football, if we can do well in this league I would say to the old school local rivalries: been there, seen that. Thanks but no thanks.

Rovers need us and this rivalry rather more than we do, to my mind.

I definitely miss derbies. The 89/90 season when I got into football was brilliant, even though we finished 2nd. It was great to be able to go into school and the city fans argue with the rovers fans with a genuine passion and excitement cos nobody was really sure who was best and who'd win a derby or do better the following season. 

Much much as I laughed - and I really, really, really laughed - when Rovers dropped out the league, laughing at how rubbish your rivals are can only be funny for so long. I'm not really one for mocking the weak and, after a while it starts to feel like picking on a kid much younger and smaller than you who you can't fight back.

i do think rivalry is good for clubs and there is a part of me that would love to see Rovers pushing at our heels and chasing us up the league. As long as we're finishing a place higher and winning both derbies each season of course...

31 minutes ago, Miahdennehy said:

I wouldn't mind playing your lot in the league again, but only if something happens north of the river, to bring you up to our level. I certainly don't want us dropping back to make it happen.

As for gobby fans, both sides have them. Take that you tube video of that gas kid and his Dad. The boy is fairly measured in what he says, obviously excited about the future but not going overboard with predictions. His Dad however.....

Following the line of JD's thought I am very much looking forward to hammering the likes of Southampton and WBA for nicking our best Bristol talent and for being just 75 minutes up the road respectively. A nice leisurely drive up the M5 is probably not much longer and certainly less stressful than fart arsing around trying to meander through pubescent students at some college campus in the future. 

Good luck to the Black Arabs though.

31 minutes ago, Miahdennehy said:

I've been reading your forums to gauge a reaction on your new owners;the over riding theme in getting is not that rovers can be competetive, but that you now have more mine than us and will over take us on your way to the top. Personally I hope Rovers push on and we meet in the top two leagues, a local derby with crowds of 20-30k would be fantastic for both teams. Its sad that the ambition seems to be bettering us though, a lot of gasheads seem to have an inferiority complex.

Just out of interest do you actually know how much your new owner is worth?

8 minutes ago, Cider red said:

I've been reading your forums to gauge a reaction on your new owners;the over riding theme in getting is not that rovers can be competetive, but that you now have more mine than us and will over take us on your way to the top. Personally I hope Rovers push on and we meet in the top two leagues, a local derby with crowds of 20-30k would be fantastic for both teams. Its sad that the ambition seems to be bettering us though, a lot of gasheads seem to have an inferiority complex.

Just out of interest do you actually know how much your new owner is worth?

Not a clue, and am not really all that interested, I'm a bit sceptical about the appointment of Hamer, but am cautiously optimistic, for every Bournemouth & Watford, there is Portsmouth and Notts County.  BTW,Some of us are old enough to remember when Bristol derbies actually were played out in front of 20-30 k crowds!

When I first started watching football in 1950, there wasn't any TV football and only rare opportunities to go to away matches.

Thus if I wasn't playing games at school on a Saturday and, much more importantly, my parents had enough spare cash for me, I would be off to see the Bristol club that was playing at home that day. If it was City, then Dad and I went together whereas if it was Rovers, I went on my own because Dad would spend the time with my sister. Fathers worked long hours then so did their best to give time to all their family.

So, I grew up watching Atyeo, Rodgers, Rogers, Cook, Thresher, Peacock at City and Bradford, Bamford, Pitt and Petherbridge at Rovers. The term Gas was never used until around 1980 ish. I was always a City fan but just loved watching live football. Yes we had banter with each other, especially in the local newsagents queue waiting for the Green and Pink Un's to arrive. We always wanted our team to be Top Team.

But for me it was never hate like some now. I often meet an old friend from Filton, who I grew up with, at Bristol Rugby games. He's been Rovers all his life, I've been City and we both follow Bris and still have our banter to keep us going.

I miss league and FA Cup derbies and my dream for my home city would be to see regular derby matches in the Premier or Championship where all the supporters had a good time whatever the result. Will that ever happen again?  

47 minutes ago, Miahdennehy said:

Why would our coach break down? It's not like he is schizophrenic or something.

Far more likely for your coach to break down. He has all the signs of instability.

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

When I first started watching football in 1950, there wasn't any TV football and only rare opportunities to go to away matches.

Thus if I wasn't playing games at school on a Saturday and, much more importantly, my parents had enough spare cash for me, I would be off to see the Bristol club that was playing at home that day. If it was City, then Dad and I went together whereas if it was Rovers, I went on my own because Dad would spend the time with my sister. Fathers worked long hours then so did their best to give time to all their family.

So, I grew up watching Atyeo, Rodgers, Rogers, Cook, Thresher, Peacock at City and Bradford, Bamford, Pitt and Petherbridge at Rovers. The term Gas was never used until around 1980 ish. I was always a City fan but just loved watching live football. Yes we had banter with each other, especially in the local newsagents queue waiting for the Green and Pink Un's to arrive. We always wanted our team to be Top Team.

But for me it was never hate like some now. I often meet an old friend from Filton, who I grew up with, at Bristol Rugby games. He's been Rovers all his life, I've been City and we both follow Bris and still have our banter to keep us going.

I miss league and FA Cup derbies and my dream for my home city would be to see regular derby matches in the Premier or Championship where all the supporters had a good time whatever the result. Will that ever happen again?  

Always believe... !! :) Hope so. 

56 minutes ago, Miahdennehy said:

Do you mean your 4-2 win at the gate after we had beaten you 3-1 at Twerton..?

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Love hearing reflections from our, er, more senior supporters (!) More please, sir! And love the idea of you and your Rovers mate coming together to watch and support Bristol. Great stuff. 

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Do you mean your 4-2 win at the gate after we had beaten you 3-1 at Twerton..?

No, although that was also one of my favourite ever derby wins. In the early to mid 80s you beat us 3-0 at your place in the league, then when we played you a couple of weeks later in the cup, went 1-0 down early, but won 3-1. It was that little bit sweter as you often sang '1 nil down , 2-1 up we knocked Rovers out the cup' referring to a cup match a couple of years previous when you beat us at Eastville We obviously made the most of singing '1 nil down, 3-1 up'. Mike Hooper was in goal for your lot, and Paul Randall rounded him for the third in front of the east end- still brings a tear to the eye now!

1 minute ago, Miahdennehy said:

No, although that was also one of my favourite ever derby wins. In the early to mid 80s you beat us 3-0 at your place in the league, then went we played you a couple of weeks later in the cup, went 1-0 down early, but won 3-1. It was that little bit sweter as you often sang '1 nil down , 2-1 up we knocked Rovers out the cup' referring to a cup match a couple of years previous when you beat us at Eastville We obviously made the most of singing '1 nil down, 3-1 up'. Mike Hooper was in goal for your lot, and Paul randall rounded him for the third in front of the east end- still brings a tear to the eye now!

A couple of years before my time then, thank god. 

I've always (occasionally) found losing to you the most humiliating, embarrassing, disgrace of our fine club. 

However, you can't beat a derby day win, losing them is unbearable, I think, I can hardly remember...! ;) 

15 minutes ago, Miahdennehy said:

Not a clue, and am not really all that interested, I'm a bit sceptical about the appointment of Hamer, but am cautiously optimistic, for every Bournemouth & Watford, there is Portsmouth and Notts County.  BTW,Some of us are old enough to remember when Bristol derbies actually were played out in front of 20-30 k crowds!

Aaah,those really were the days-and the only way I want to see it happen again is Championship football.full house at the gate,and the students union.bring it on.......

1 hour ago, Miahdennehy said:

Growing up watching city early 80s there was always a derby loved it . But now u haven't played us in the league for 15 years 2001 I think . For a lot of younger fans say early 20s have never seen a league derby . So when people say Cardiff are our main rivals to some of the younger generation they probably are  . For me it's the sags because of my era growing up . Do I like to see another league derby . Not really .

Agree somewhat with @Jack Dawein that I hope that both we can stay at this level, and develop some rivalries with side here.

Enjoyed our burgeoning tête-à-tête with Forest in the race to promotion from League One, and hoped that would have continued into the Championship, but unfortunately they were crap, so didn't keep up.

Equally; our games against Palace last time we were at this level had a nice bit of edge, built up over a few seasons.

If Rovers do indeed go up this year, and it their investment means they look like getting to the Championship, then I don't think it'll be a bad thing for the profile of football in the region, but until then am happy to just be striving to be as high up the league's as possible.

Over the last 30 odd years, playing Rovers - whenever I see that odd, funny little kit trotting out at AG - only serves to remind us of our own failings, our own mediocrity, our own tinpotness. A reminder that despite many advantages over them, we're no better off, and failing miserably. I've seen enough L1 football now, thank you very much (although I know not the last of it, sadly. It will return at some point). Rovers and that shirt just says "third division" to me. 

Unless or until they become a Championship club, while we are still one, I want to see a Bristol derby like I want to see another JPT first round game at AG.

And Rovers in the Championship? It's not inconceivable that they might one day climb out of L1 again, they've done that before. But it's difficult to see them coping with that level of competition now (unless their new owners are pretty bloody sharp and on-the-money), bearing in mind how much tougher it will become over the next few years. 

Games against Aston Villa, or Rovers?

!

I have found a lot of my old City programmes in the loft recently so may post a few in topics over the  coming weeks. 

I picked this one out for this thread. Both teams struggling in the league at the time.

I loved league meetings between us and 'The Gas'. Would love to see them return in the Championship. The build up during the week, waking up on Saturday morning, travelling to the game etc. Derbies were more than 90 mins of football.

Just looking back at the squad names brings back so many memories.

2016-02-21 10.25.25.jpg

4 minutes ago, Red Grovesy said:

I have found a lot of my old City programmes in the loft recently so may post a few in topics over the  coming weeks. 

I picked this one out for this thread. Both teams struggling in the league at the time.

I loved league meetings between us and 'The Gas'. Would love to see them return in the Championship. The build up during the week, waking up on Saturday morning, travelling to the game etc. Derbys were more than 90 mins of football.

Just looking back at the squad names brings back so many memories.

2016-02-21 10.25.25.jpg

Fair few who played for both sides in those lineups.

1 hour ago, Miahdennehy said:

I used to be nervous as hell about derby days, but now I do miss them. You need the lows to enjoy the highs.

I grew up in the 80s and 90s when derbys used to be a twice yearly fixture. Whilst the games themselves were usually the biggest games of each clubs season they didn't seem such a big deal.

Before Lansdown came along we weren't spending and losing multimillions as we have done in recent years so there wasn't such a gulf between the two clubs finances and we all knew that IF we lost there would only be about 6 months of mild gloating before the chance to regain bragging rights would come around again. Since you dropped into L2 all that changed, derbies became fewer and far between with the odd JPT or pre season friendly. I really haven't enjoyed the build up to any of the games we've played you in the last 15 years (in fact I've come to hate the thought of playing the Gas) because it's been made into a no-win fixture for us...if we win its always only because of "Lansdowns cash", "60 million and you only beat us 2-1" and all that shit. Gasheads love to paint themselves as the underdogs and I even know some who claimed a moral victory after the 2013 JPT match because we didn't thrash you....If Rovers win (like in 2007) we don't hear the end of it for years like its some kind of biblical triumph of good over evil.

However...all of that changed on Friday. Your new owners are (according to a hell of a lot of Gasheads) far, far richer than Steve Lansdown. The old excuses for lower crowds and league position are now history. Even if this Al-Qadi bloke doesn't spunk multi-millions on the Gas it won't matter...because, as a lot of Gasheads have already told us, you are the wealthiest club in Bristol now (possibly the World). The pressure is now on Rovers, not us. As Jakes dad said on the video, you're now far bigger and far richer than City can ever be. Lets see how you get on with that. ;)

Fair play to you anyway Miah, you've taken all the shit of the last couple of years on the chin without getting stroppy. Still hope you remain at least one division below us though..:thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I grew up in the 80s and 90s when derbys used to be a twice yearly fixture. Whilst the games themselves were usually the biggest games of each clubs season they didn't seem such a big deal.

Before Lansdown came along we weren't spending and losing multimillions as we have done in recent years so there wasn't such a gulf between the two clubs finances and we all knew that IF we lost there would only be about 6 months of mild gloating before the chance to regain bragging rights would come around again. Since you dropped into L2 all that changed, derbies became fewer and far between with the odd JPT or pre season friendly. I really haven't enjoyed the build up to any of the games we've played you in the last 15 years (in fact I've come to hate the thought of playing the Gas) because it's been made into a no-win fixture for us...if we win its always only because of "Lansdowns cash", "60 million and you only beat us 2-1" and all that shit. Gasheads love to paint themselves as the underdogs and I even know some who claimed a moral victory after the 2013 JPT match because we didn't thrash you....If Rovers win (like in 2007) we don't hear the end of it for years like its some kind of biblical triumph of good over evil.

However...all of that changed on Friday. Your new owners are (according to a hell of a lot of Gasheads) far, far richer than Steve Lansdown. The old excuses for lower crowds and league position are now history. Even if this Al-Qadi bloke doesn't spunk multi-millions on the Gas it won't matter...because, as a lot of Gasheads have already told us, you are the wealthiest club in Bristol now (possibly the World). The pressure is now on Rovers, not us. As Jakes dad said on the video, you're now far bigger and far richer than City can ever be. Lets see how you get on with that. ;)

Fair play to you anyway Miah, you've taken all the shit of the last couple of years on the chin without getting stroppy. Still hope you remain at least one division below us though..:thumbsup:

All part of my plan. Wait till we win the Champions league, you lot will be getting plenty back from me .

Archived