IGNORED

Rivalry

Miah Dennehy

7 minutes ago, Miahdennehy said:

All part of my plan. Wait till we win the Champions league, you lot will be getting plenty back from me .

Is that how you lot refer to League Division 4 i.

Any truth in the rumour your are signing Wilson and Keppel and keepng Betty on the subs Bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq7DGvfnr3U

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

The City cannot sustain two competitive Championship clubs.

We could if all the arm chair fans stopped watching football on the Sky and went to support their local clubs.

Bristol has a greater population than Manchester (population census 2001) they have two teams in the Prem

7 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

that's because Manchester doesn't include areas within the City such as Salford, Trafford etc etc

Of course Bristol can sustain two clubs. Trouble is, for nearly all our existence (relative to the city size and surrounding areas) we've had a pathetic amount of success.

Other large cities have all generally had far more success than us and as a result larger crowds. 

In 10 years time, if both clubs have established themselves in the prem for example, both would comfortably be getting good crowds.

Sustained success = sustained fanbase

1 hour ago, Miahdennehy said:

Really? With a population approaching 1/2 million, and a catchment area double that, I would have thought Bristol could easily sustain 2 teams at that level. Getting them both there may take a bit of time though.

42 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If Burnley can sustain one, Bristol can sustain two.

Only if we are run something like as well as Burnley are run by their board. What's the chances of both of us being organised that well in this league?

It's changed a bit since Rovers were last this elevated. Not  sure even a 20k ground will be enough for them when/if they next reach this level. But they might have more of a chance with outsiders owning them. Their local bods were struggling with L2

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

They'll need 50k at least

....make that 60k

Enough to compete is what I was trying to say, rather than not big enough for them. Crowds of 18 or 19k are unimaginable to them now but won't be any great shakes in this league. If they ever get up to those figures. The costs of competing in this league will continue to spiral you would think. Prem II is here already it seems.

11 minutes ago, Miahdennehy said:

I was surprised that none of you seemed to pick up on Al Qadi claiming we took 40,000 to Wembley for the Conference play off- I did think to myself 'He's gonna fit in just fine' :)

I reckon that's what Nick Piggs told Al Bundy to get the deal over the line..

AB - "Before I sign, you definitely have a massive fan base?"

NP - "Yes Mr Al Bundy, we took 40K to Wembley"

AB - "Ok, I'll sign. Can I borrow your pen?"

NP - "Borrow my pen!, I thought you were a squillionaire?"

AB - "I am Mr Piggs, I am...................

f83e13fc005394433a6a76a793f11042.jpg

1 hour ago, Miahdennehy said:

Really? With a population approaching 1/2 million, and a catchment area double that, I would have thought Bristol could easily sustain 2 teams at that level. Getting them both there may take a bit of time though.

Surely not. I thought the common consensus amongst your lot was that you will now be in the Premiership in 5 years time..?! 

2 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

The City cannot sustain two competitive Championship clubs.

It did throughout most of the 1950s and even in my time watching football, Bristol had a team in the old divisions 1 and 2 at the same time. (..although that didn't end well).   One reason people from my youth went to City one week and Rovers the next was that they could afford to and I can't see that happening again.  However the Bristol area has over 1m people , so I can't see why it can't support 2 successful clubs.  I live in Ipswich, which has a population of 120,000 and not more than a few small towns beyond, yet it supports a reasonably successful Championship team.

4 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

I was surprised that none of you seemed to pick up on Al Qadi claiming we took 40,000 to Wembley for the Conference play off- I did think to myself 'He's gonna fit in just fine' :)

Well, as he didn't mention 50,000 being locked out we didn't think the exaggeration was worthy of highlighting.

Blimey, what a civilised thread! Have all the hate-spewing gonzoids been locked up for the weekend?

To me, rivalry can be reasonably amicable, as it seems to be in tiresome rugby.

I'd be happy to see the Gas takeover save them and establish two strong clubs in Bristol - as long as we stay firmly on top. I'm fed up with the West being a football backwater & laughing stock. They can get to the Championship with 20000 crowds, as long as we're in the Prem with 27000.

But if the Arab turned out to be a fraudster from Peckham with no money it would still be very funny!

I would rather see a Bristolian kid in a Rovers shirt than a Chelsea or Man City one.

Saying that, I am sure a lot of Rovers fans would not want to see that if it was purely due to a new cash based Rovers model. Both the former mentioned clubs were better when they were proper clubs, not full of Chinese tourists happy to dish out £70 quid a ticket to see imports from around the world while local fans and players can't get a sniff.

I always say I hate rovers and I really do but what I would say is id rather see a young bristolian walking around in a rovers shirt rather than a man Utd or Liverpool shirt( obviously if they don't support city). Is there a worse sight in Bristol at 8am every Saturday of buses full of plastic man Utd or Liverpool fans leaving Bristol for home games up north!

44 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I always say I hate rovers and I really do but what I would say is id rather see a young bristolian walking around in a rovers shirt rather than a man Utd or Liverpool shirt( obviously if they don't support city). Is there a worse sight in Bristol at 8am every Saturday of buses full of plastic man Utd or Liverpool fans leaving Bristol for home games up north!

There is, yes. Pubs in Bristol on Sunday afternoons, filled to the rafters with these *****, all kitted out with this season's shirt, scarcely one of whom could point to Liverpool or Manchester on a map if you asked them. Yet refer to their nominal team as 'we' and 'us'. *****.

46 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I always say I hate rovers and I really do but what I would say is id rather see a young bristolian walking around in a rovers shirt rather than a man Utd or Liverpool shirt

I never say this

47 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Is there a worse sight in Bristol at 8am every Saturday of buses full of plastic man Utd or Liverpool fans leaving Bristol for home games up north!

Some (I repeat some) of these might or will be people originally from these far flung places. They won't all from round here. The locals that join them probably wouldn't have the stomach for following a lowly Championship club, never mind a L1 outfit

7 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

There is, yes. Pubs in Bristol on Sunday afternoons, filled to the rafters with these *****, all kitted out with this season's shirt, scarcely one of whom could point to Liverpool or Manchester on a map if you asked them. Yet refer to their nominal team as 'we' and 'us'. *****.

Heard a couple of plastics (Chelsea and Man Utd) arguing in Morrisons in Tavistock(!). The Manure one said to the Chelsea one `your lot aren`t doing so well are they?` to which the response came (in broadest Devonian) `I ain`t bothering with `em this year, they`m rubbish`.

You wouldn`t believe how much pain I wanted to inflict on both of them.

2 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I never say this

Some (I repeat some) of these might or will be people originally from these far flung places. They won't all from round here. The locals that join them probably wouldn't have the stomach for following a lowly Championship club, never mind a L1 outfit

In a couple of years time there will be coaches from Manchester and Liverpool travelling down to see Rovers in our new 75,000 seater stadium.

Here's my pennies worth.

While I always want the gas to lose, I don't 'hate' them per se. I have many good mates who are supporters of 'them' and couldn't hate them. They are slightly misaligned mentally, obviously, but it's not their fault.

As a veteran of dozens of proper league derbies over the years, there's nothing better than the feeling of beating them and lording it big time but I have one issue.

While we compare ourselves to them (and vice versa I suppose), we will always be crap, the better club in Bristol, whooppee! We need to stop comparing our clubs to progress upwards IMHO. I know we / they can't stop doing it but, to me, it's the reason why neither club have been consistently successful.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Imagine the Championship play-off final in a few years at Wembley. Us v the sags. For promotion to the Prem. The mind boggles at the potential "scenes". 

Maybe only matched if we ever get that friendly v. Willem II that everyone wants. 

Knowing Bristol clubs, both would lose !

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Heard a couple of plastics (Chelsea and Man Utd) arguing in Morrisons in Tavistock(!). The Manure one said to the Chelsea one `your lot aren`t doing so well are they?` to which the response came (in broadest Devonian) `I ain`t bothering with `em this year, they`m rubbish`.

You wouldn`t believe how much pain I wanted to inflict on both of them.

'cor buggers 'innum?!

Archived