IGNORED

Lee Tomlin is our penalty taker...

adamc6203

2 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Agard never let go of the ball , picked it up far side and walked with it to the area, then argued with Tomlin , wilbs didn't give him the ball.

My mistake then. Said on radio Briz that Wilbs stepped in and gave Agard the ball? 

19 minutes ago, Andy1970 said:

Couldn't go tonight but was shouting at the radio when Wilbs gave Agard the ball. Tomlin has been starting every game, getting busy and making things happen. I'd rather he got the little boost of a goal (albeit a pen) than Agard who, to be fair, blows somewhat hot and cold.

Agard never let go of the ball after he fell and grabbed hold of it! 

Having seen Tomlin's penalty at Charlton, I would have done same as Agard.

Plus I would add, what difference would a last minute penalty at 4-0 down make anyway. None.

So my take on Tomlin's gesticulations after Agard's miss is that it was just as unprofessional. Much as I like Tomlin as a footballer, bearing in mind he had a right go at Freeman earlier in the game also, for not passing, I have doubts over Tomlin's effect on the togetherness which has developed among the squad over the past couple of years.

1 hour ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

Tell Johnson that then. Said himself that Tomlins the penalty taker, ACTUALLY.

well wilbs was quoted as saying ' silly argument, but we all know if kieron is on the pitch he takes the pens' so who knows. All irrelevant as we were awful. Just embarrassing

51 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Plus I would add, what difference would a last minute penalty at 4-0 down make anyway. None.

So my take on Tomlin's gesticulations after Agard's miss is that it was just as unprofessional. Much as I like Tomlin as a footballer, bearing in mind he had a right go at Freeman earlier in the game also, for not passing, I have doubts over Tomlin's effect on the togetherness which has developed among the squad over the past couple of years.

Is this a joke? Tomlin is a huge part why we are 8 points clear of the relegation zone and why we will probably be a championship club next season. He dug out a player for not passing to him during the game? Oh the horror, send him back to Boro ASAP

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

It doesn't matter how he took the Charlton penalty - he scored!

If you make the keeper dive one way or the other before you've kicked,  you can connect as softly as you like.

Agard has form at missing penalties, Tomlin is the head coach's choice as penalty taker and he should have been given the ball.

4 hours ago, Iron Man said:

Is this a joke? Tomlin is a huge part why we are 8 points clear of the relegation zone and why we will probably be a championship club next season. He dug out a player for not passing to him during the game? Oh the horror, send him back to Boro ASAP

Since when was Agard the penalty taker? Pack took over the role last year after Agard blew his chance, the 3 penalties we have had this season have all been atrocious

5 hours ago, Iron Man said:

I imagine Bournemouth would have something to say about that. 

Lack of leadership on and off the pitch. Surely something as basic as who takes a pen, should we get one  would be established before the game? It didn't matter in terms of the result, but it capped of the worst home performance this season.

Also seemed to me that Tomlin was bickering with a few players. Good footballer but maybe a bit disruptive? Perhaps just frustrated in our poor performance.

9 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It's a nice thought but I think he'll have no shortage of better prospects should he be made available for permanent transfer. Like to be proved wrong mind...

Tomlin wants to play football and he's be guaranteed games here I think. Of course, we'd have competition but this time our geography may actually help for once - we're not that far away.

If he gets on well with the squad and manager now whilst he's here - I think we've got a decent chance of landing him permenantly. 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Tomlin wants to play football and he's be guaranteed games here I think. Of course, we'd have competition but this time our geography may actually help for once - we're not that far away.

If he gets on well with the squad and manager now whilst he's here - I think we've got a decent chance of landing him permenantly. 

I'd like that to be the case believe me! Just think as a permanent option he'll have several top end championship clubs keen to secure his services.

A bit different to when you're not getting games midway through the season and a local club wants you on loan. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed as he's several classes above anyone else we have!

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I'd like that to be the case believe me! Just think as a permanent option he'll have several top end championship clubs keen to secure his services.

A bit different to when you're not getting games midway through the season and a local club wants you on loan. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed as he's several classes above anyone else we have!

Yeah I really rate him, he's on a different wavelength to the majority of our players some of the time but he's made a difference.

I think a big pull for him is playing and being happy at his club, he needs to be the main man though to be his best - (like JET or Trundle). I can't think of many top championship sides where he would be - not a slight on his ability, just the quality and depth in these squads.

I'm not convinced he'd be guaranteed games at Brighton for example, they've got serious competition for places.

Oh well.. We'll have to see what happens but I'd be delighted if we could pull it off.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah I really rate him, he's on a different wavelength to the majority of our players some of the time but he's made a difference.

I think a big pull for him is playing and being happy at his club, he needs to be the main man though to be his best - (like JET or Trundle). I can't think of many top championship sides where he would be - not a slight on his ability, just the quality and depth in these squads.

I'm not convinced he'd be guaranteed games at Brighton for example, they've got serious competition for places.

Oh well.. We'll have to see what happens but I'd be delighted if we could pull it off.

All good points! I'd be incredibly pleased if we could land him permanently. 

9 hours ago, NickJ said:

The penalty 'could' make a difference if we were to go down on goal difference!

11 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

Who was captain at the time? Radio mentioned Tomlin enquired to Wilbrham, had he taken over the armband?

Never understand why if Wilbraham doesn't start Smith should stay captain it's up to a good club captain to accept that not take the arm band as soon as he enters the field. 

Imo Smith is far more instrumental to the team barking his orders and has the respect so in my view he should of remained captain. 

9 hours ago, Iron Man said:

No its my opinion. I said Tomlin is a good player, I just have a feeling he's not as much of a team player as the squad developed over the past 2 years. Cotterill was good at identifying players with the right fit, or dare I say DNA, as was Gary Johnson. It comes with some managers with experience.

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I imagine Bournemouth would have something to say about that. 

2 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Lack of leadership on and off the pitch. Surely something as basic as who takes a pen, should we get one  would be established before the game? It didn't matter in terms of the result, but it capped of the worst home performance this season.

Also seemed to me that Tomlin was bickering with a few players. Good footballer but maybe a bit disruptive? Perhaps just frustrated in our poor performance.

Yes there is form. I haven't seen a City player having a go at a team mate in that way - ie for a prolonged period - for a long time. Sure, sometimes there is an immediate angry reaction and the players move on, but Tomlin carried on the spat with Freeman for a long time, even came over about 50 yards to continue, although it has to be said they did end up shaking hands. After the Agard penalty miss he was gesticulating for quite a long time afterwards. I could be wrong, and its not a major issue at the moment. He's actually my sort of footballer, but I have a feeling he needs careful man management.

Archived