IGNORED

When football went wrong..

Mad Cyril

A great blog here, full credit to the author......

I think I’m tired of football. Maybe, and hopefully, not the actual game, but I’m tired of so many aspects of it.

I’m tired of football’s increasing omnipresence; why do Manchester United need an official tyre partner in Indonesia? Why do Liverpool need an official skincare partner, when surely a decent centre half would be of more use to them?

I’m tired of leagues spending so much time rebranding themselves; as if it was the name of the competition stopping the people of Essex turning up in their hordes for Braintree Town against Gateshead. I’m tired of the Premier League’s rebrand and it only happened yesterday. I’m tired of marketing bollocks like this; ‘The identity is a huge tonal shift from buttoned up, shirt and tie, formal, reserved… to warm, human, approachable and informal.’ for what is just a ****ing logo for a football league, not a politician’s futile image makeover.

I’m tired of football’s inflated sense of self-importance and finances that have now long moved beyond the realms of anything vaguely sane. I’m tired of people celebrating how much has been spent in a transfer window rather than what it has been spent on. I’m tired of the transfer window, and the indulgence of it all; something deftly summarised by Frankie Boyle’s Deadline Day tweet ‘Your club has bought some journeyman midfielder sexcase for the price of a hospital’. I’m tired of knowing that for most clubs he’ll largely be right.

Children clamber to see what's happening in the ground as Weston Super Mare's FA Cup tie with Doncaster Rovers is postponedI’m tired of the arguments over ticket prices, particularly in the Premier League, that suggest only now have ticket prices become too expensive. I’m tired of fans complaining of ticket prices at their own club, whilst mocking empty seats at another. I’m tired of being charged £24 and upwards for third tier football, whilst the FSF puts its efforts into capping away ticket prices in the Premier League at a figure less than that. I’m tired of the way I still hand over my cash anyway, despite how tired I am of the ridiculous sums I’m being asked for. I’m tired of clubs attempts to justify these prices by telling me their tickets are cheaper than another club that I had no interest in watching. I’m tired of having to pay more on the day to watch a League match, despite it being a much less labour intensive transaction for all involved.

I’m tired of the fury and rage that greets every announcement as if it is a personal affront; sometimes football matches are postponed, sometimes football matches are lost, sometimes players are sold. I’m tired of the constant search for a scapegoat. I’m tired of the childish dismissals of anything a past player or manager ever did for the club as being ‘shit’. I’m tired of the twisting of the past to suit current arguments. Paul Dickov may not have been the right manager for the club, but he handed more youth team graduates debuts than any other Rovers manager since at least 1998; I’m tired of that being overlooked.

I’m tired of being asked if I support a bigger club. I’m tired of the Liverpool, or Chelsea, or Manchester United fans who ask me this getting all put out when I subsequently ask them if they do.

Fans head into the Keepmoat stadium for the second half of Doncaster Rovers versus GillinghamI’m tired of grown adults play-acting. I’m tired of how long a team that’s one nil up takes over a throw-in. I’m tired of goalkeepers pretending to berate their defenders, and pretending to not hear the referee soak up ten more seconds before a goal-kick. I’m tired of players who trot over to the far side of the pitch when they know they’re about to be substituted, so they can eat up as much time as possible walking to the bench. I’m tired of paying £24 or more to watch these same routines over and over again, every ****ing week.

I’m tired of the banter. I’m tired of tekkers. I’m tired of the language and the slang. I’m tired of Paddy Power and the ****ing Lad Bible.

I’m tired of engagement stats over information. I’m tired of retweeting praise and pretending the negatives never happen. I’m tired of new kits every year. I’m tired of people dicking about with hoops, and treating an away kit as a blank canvas.

I’m tired of lazily nicking other clubs’ songs. I’m tired of pyro. I’m tired of parties.

I’m tired of all this. None of it is football. None of it needs to happen.

Just give me the game. And my bed.

by Glen Wilson

This piece is the editorial for issue 80 of popular STAND fanzine; a football fanzine for the likes of Doncaster.

I really like this.

I'm tired of Sky Sports monopolising tv rights. I'm tired of BBC pundits constantly obsessing over Man U, Chelsea, Man City etc. and the bloomin' Champion's League. I'm tired of the same old, same old rubbish about England doing badly in tournaments because of not enough English players in the prem, then conveniently forgotten about when the prem starts again… I'm tired of the condescending attitude towards lower league clubs regarding players, money etc from prem managers, TV pundits, etc… I'm tired of club executives regarding clubs as a money making machine only and not acknowledging the fans importance/significance to their existence etc…

I`m tired of the fact that apparently there was no football before 1992. I`m tired of the fact that teams in the premier league could lose every game and still get given 99million. I`m tired of the fact that Sky can obsess all day about whether or not some Arsenal player that I`ve never heard off will start or be on the bench for some game or other. I`m tired of the fact that Liverpool fans waited until ticket prices got to £70 odd quid before feeling the need to protest. I`m tired of Champions League competitions that have more teams that aren`t champions in them. I`m tired of the fact that a bang average championship striker can earn £37k a week when his wages for a month or two could save a club like Torquay from going out of business.

19 minutes ago, twodogs said:

Whats the answer then? and I'm genuinely interested. I want Premiership but its only going to get harder given how much they will get this year and the next few years, makes it it so much harder to get there let alone stay there.

You mean Premier League? Another pointless re-brand about ten years ago...Premiership doesn't exist now...

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You mean Premier League? Another pointless re-brand about ten years ago...Premiership doesn't exist now...

No idea what its called now , I only know that its 1st division football called something else. Its no better but most companies could take a lesson in marketing from the f...kers who did it.

What answers are there ?

May I suggest :-

fans voting with their feet on high entry costs

genuine community ownership of clubs

hive off the dreadful Premier League to a new European League - after all that's where the majority of their players come from

restrict number of players a club can recruit outside an agreed geographical area

link salaries of players to some outside scale of wages

fans by referendum to decide club's kit

ok I accept this is wishful thinking but do you have other and better answers.

Archived