IGNORED

When football went wrong..

Mad Cyril

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

What answers are there ?

May I suggest :-

fans voting with their feet on high entry costs

genuine community ownership of clubs

hive off the dreadful Premier League to a new European League - after all that's where the majority of their players come from

restrict number of players a club can recruit outside an agreed geographical area

link salaries of players to some outside scale of wages

fans by referendum to decide club's kit

ok I accept this is wishful thinking but do you have other and better answers.

Limit away ticket costs. Liverpool protested about 77 cost to home fans yet are charging £52 to away fans

Fans director

If the big clubs want to go to a european league crack on Your fans I dont think will want it. Especially when they have no chance of winning it or getting close.

Geographical area wont work unforunately EU ETC

Wages based on league placing

Kits every two years

Not being able to sack a manger during the season. Forces a board to work with

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the OP...I'm tired of fans who complain all the time, about everything...yet still buy their Sky subscriptions and still pay the prices to go and see their team.

It's very easy...stop going and stop buying into the likes of Sky.

Go down the pub,...take the missus and kids out...go and watch your local non league team instead.

If everyone did this for a season, Clubs and football would have to change.

But we are like lemmings...we keep going. We like to complain...yet still go.

If fans don't like it...talk with your feet and wallet...it's the only way football will change.

I'd love football to implode...even if it meant BCFC going under and starting again.

The sooner it does, the better imo.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@spudski I wouldn't want football to implode, but it would be very interesting to see the likes of Abramovic, Glazer(s) or Mansour pull out, and see what it does.  

I really don't think it's the owners that's the problem DF...it's the fans.

Fans have the power to change everything...yet they do very little to change things, except moan.

They keep buying the overpriced replica shirts, keep buying the overpriced beer and crap food, keep buying the overpriced tickets, keep putting up with being treated like second class citizens...yet complain every time they do it.:facepalm: It's mindless, moronic behaviour...and why Clubs think they can get away with it....and do.

Football prices and money being spent is spiralling out of control...how else is it going to stop...without drastic change?

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the OP...I'm tired of fans who complain all the time, about everything...yet still buy their Sky subscriptions and still pay the prices to go and see their team.

Go down the pub,...take the missus and kids out...go and watch your local non league team instead.

If fans don't like it...talk with your feet and wallet...it's the only way football will change.

I'd love football to implode...even if it meant BCFC going under and starting again.

I don't go to games or buy sky because of the price.  But I want to watch my team and I want football to go back to how it was. 

Just need to wait for everyone else to follow suit I suppose. How long do you think I will have to wait ? 

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I don't go to games or buy sky because of the price.  But I want to watch my team and I want football to go back to how it was. 

Just need to wait for everyone else to follow suit I suppose. How long do you think I will have to wait ? 

77th minute??????

10 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Who knows...can see some bigger clubs going under before it really changes mate.

I have a love hate relationship with modern football...love the game and what it means to me...but all the other bullshit does my head in.

I find more enjoyment out of watching development football and non league these days...watching football with a different eye.

Would rather watch the likes of Vyner or any academy player being played, even if we lose, and watch them improve, than have some overpaid journeyman come in and be 'Championship average'. I get more from the game that way....

7 hours ago, spudski said:

The best option is to get rid of the premiership, revert back to one league of four divisions. No Murdoch, no more extortionate transfer fees/wages. I want to watch Bristol City in a decent league that isn't governed by greed and hype. I don't feel that I am being out-priced for watching City, but it could obviously change in the future, but we don't have the same pull as Man U etc to charge those kinds of prices. 

Perhaps there could be a mass boycott on one specific day across all leagues? I don't think it will ever happen though.

I do think it will implode at some point, possibly effecting the bigger clubs, especially if they form their own Super Euro League. They have more to lose financially, than the rest, and they have brought it on themselves…

7 hours ago, RedDave said:

Same here. I want to watch my team live, and that's about it…

8 hours ago, spudski said:

But what would starting again achieve, just more of the same.

As football fans we are prisoners of our own minds. We aren't customers, if we were customers football would have ceased to exist as a professional sport years ago. We keep going back for more because we can't stay away.

Stay away from football? One of the few if only escapes many of us have from the daily grind of our lives, there is room for the things you suggest and going to football as well, which is what many people already do.

For me the only reason I wouldn't go to games is cost, and that point hasn't yet been reached.....and the suits won't let it happen, they'll keep the cost just below the level where attendances are affected, and if they don't you'll get the Liverpool scenario, and they'll back track.

lets face it the cost of attending games has long been way above the value of going, the point being many of us can't stay away.

Football fans do stay away from football Countryfile. They have at City. City had gates of 3000 for league games, thousands stopped going when Osman was manager and boycotted away games during Kew out, Osman out, sort it out, there was a anti Osman walk out at Pompey away at half time [0-0], we can behave just like customers if we choose to.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Football fans do stay away from football Countryfile. They have at City. City had gates of 3000 for league games, thousands stopped going when Osman was manager and boycotted away games during Kew out, Osman out, sort it out, there was a anti Osman walk out at Pompey away at half time [0-0], we can behave just like customers if we choose to.

I said many of us can't stay away, and 3,000 turning up to watch what they new was going to be a crap game sort of proves my point, has anyone paid to watch a film a second time after watching it for the first time and thinking it was crap?

As I said the suits will push it as far as they can, and react when the opposition makes them uncomfortable.

It was interesting that those Liverpool fans didn't boycott the game entirely, they just left at a similar time to the Dolman early leavers do every game.

I think a new football code needs to set up.........maybe a new set of rules similar to football as we know it, but call it "Feetball" for example.

Have a charter that stipulates, such things as

- Because the code isn't part of the traditional football scene, stadiums wont be party to terracing rules, therefore terracing could be introduced if done safely enough.

- Beer allowed to be consumed in front of the pitch

- Integrating home and away fans so they're standing on the terraces together not as a tribal group.

- Wage cap (somehow, but don't ask me how)

- Guaranteed maximum entry cost ie. £5 per person both home and away.

- Cannot sell out to TV, so must be available to terrestrial tv/radio/internet channels

- Official stop watch for 90minutes, so everyone can see when time is up

- Bring back simple rules, i.e tackle from behind, offside rule.

Obviously there's some major issues to get over there, such as keeping fans together without them kicking ten bails out of each other, but if there was a will, surely something could be arranged? 

On 24/02/2016 at 21:59, BS4 on Tour... said:

I'm with you brother!

What was wrong with div 1,2,3,4...perhaps I'm just a dinosaur!

No you are not. We have just disappeared into a world where the use of superlatives has taken over from the normal world. Premier instead of First is bad enough but just watch all the TV shows like X Factor, The Voice etc where nobody is ever described as just "good" but instead, fantastic, incredible, magnificent and so on including all the newly created super-super-extra super superlatives.

26 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

No you are not. We have just disappeared into a world where the use of superlatives has taken over from the normal world. Premier instead of First is bad enough but just watch all the TV shows like X Factor, The Voice etc where nobody is ever described as just "good" but instead, fantastic, incredible, magnificent and so on including all the newly created super-super-extra super superlatives.

No doubt the next rebrand will be to something like the English Galactic League or some such bollocks.

Nice post this and while waiting for Forest v City to start which I cant get online due to 'contractual' obligations will make my contribution.

Glad I started watching City in 1958 v Leyton Orient and standing on a footstool my old man made so I became the same height as him and didn't even dream of food or drink before during or after the match.

Glad that the end of the game was near as the Bristol Omnibus Drivers and conductors left the ground.

Glad I saw the half times go up on an A-Z board around the ground

Glad I travelled to some away games on a Supporters Chartered Train

Glad Stan Butt had his hoardings around the ground

Glad I took my wife down AG for our first date and stood in the enclosure while she couldn't see the game as she is only 5ft and then treated her to a port and lemon in the supporters club after

Glad I was in Crackers Corner when Clive took us to the promised land and on the pitch after with Harry as proud as punch

Glad I saw us play ( only for a couple of years) in the Worlds best league and witnessed Ray Cashley scoring from a kick in his own area and saw us now and again on Match of the Day or The Big Match

Glad you could chat with the players in Goodies Café on North Street and they drove similar cars to what you drove.

Man Utd....Liverpool....Chelsea.....you can keep them, they will never be the same as supporting a team like the City and if we have to stay in the Championship, then let it be, I have had a fantastic and heartbreaking time supporting a REAL football club.

2 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Nice post this and while waiting for Forest v City to start which I cant get online due to 'contractual' obligations will make my contribution.

Glad I started watching City in 1958 v Leyton Orient and standing on a footstool my old man made so I became the same height as him and didn't even dream of food or drink before during or after the match.

Glad that the end of the game was near as the Bristol Omnibus Drivers and conductors left the ground.

Glad I saw the half times go up on an A-Z board around the ground

Glad I travelled to some away games on a Supporters Chartered Train

Glad Stan Butt had his hoardings around the ground

Glad I took my wife down AG for our first date and stood in the enclosure while she couldn't see the game as she is only 5ft and then treated her to a port and lemon in the supporters club after

Glad I was in Crackers Corner when Clive took us to the promised land and on the pitch after with Harry as proud as punch

Glad I saw us play ( only for a couple of years) in the Worlds best league and witnessed Ray Cashley scoring from a kick in his own area and saw us now and again on Match of the Day or The Big Match

Glad you could chat with the players in Goodies Café on North Street and they drove similar cars to what you drove.

Man Utd....Liverpool....Chelsea.....you can keep them, they will never be the same as supporting a team like the City and if we have to stay in the Championship, then let it be, I have had a fantastic and heartbreaking time supporting a REAL football club.

Never actually tried a port and lemon…

Archived