IGNORED

Darren Barnard

reddogkev

3 hours ago, alexukhc said:

He actually lives quite close to me, I need to find his house

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/darren-barnard-4978ba9

Was he really only with us for 2 years?  And then 5 at Barnsley?

"Scorer of arguably the greatest goal ever scored by a Barnsley player v Huddersfield Town in November 1998."

Yep, I can't compete with that claim.  Good player though.

Its almost sad reading that, it all sounds a little desperate...

No i don't think footballers deserve the massive wages they get due to a short career, what i think they need is examples of the 99% of youth player and ex pros that have to leave the game and suddenly find themselves with no skills and selling golf clubs (not that there is a single thing wrong with that job but it must be a massive come down after playing in front of thousands each week).

Great player and lovely left boot, hope he finds work in his beloved sport soon.

Well, who knew a Barnard thread would turn into a stalking preference thread?

Personally, I wouldn't stalk anyone (unless Kelly Brook once played for City), but would be interesting to arrange an ex-city player reunion where the fans could rub shoulders with all the former players.

On another note, what're Paul Agostino and Soren Anderson currently doing?

I used to foresee Anderson becoming a top continental coach and oneday returning to lead us to glory!

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

If you had to stalk one ex city player, who would you stalk and why? 

Paul Holland; because it would mean I would have the chance to buy as much KFC as I want.

2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Such a good left back but have had many down the years.

True, he was the left back when I started watching City on a regular basis, and it's only Mickey Bell who has topped him.

Jamie Mcallister was also very accomplished during our promotion / play-off seasons.

7 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Barnard and Bell were great, but Scott was my fav of the trilogy. Brennan, did we see enough of him to make a judgement? I remember he had one really good season, then he was off

Wasn't Scott the left back the season before Barnard?  I think I only saw him once or twice.

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Although Bell was very good I'd say Barnard topped him quite comfortably 

You might be right, but then again, did we ever sing a song about signing Barnard for far less money then we should've paid?

I used to love singing that song for Mickey Bell.

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Wasn't Scott the left back the season before Barnard?  I think I only saw him once or twice.

Blimey - good question. In my head it was Scott, Barnard, Bell, Brennan - all one after the other. I'm sure someone will prove me wrong there

5 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Blimey - good question. In my head it was Scott, Barnard, Bell, Brennan - all one after the other. I'm sure someone will prove me wrong there

That's how I remember it, and then along came Craig Woodman!  Hopefully Golbourne can resurrect the trend of talented left backs gracing the City shirt!

2 hours ago, Xiled said:

Was he really only with us for 2 years?  And then 5 at Barnsley?

"Scorer of arguably the greatest goal ever scored by a Barnsley player v Huddersfield Town in November 1998."

Yep, I can't compete with that claim.  Good player though.

How many goals did Barnsley players score v Huddersfield in November 1998?  I wonder if it was tough narrowing it down to Darren's effort.

Martin Scott was my first city hero, to the point where I can remember going nuts when he scored the winner for Sunderland against Newcastle in their first top flight meeting in years.

The old Rooker Park as well.

Looked mental on the telly!

45 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Barnard and Bell were great, but Scott was my fav of the trilogy. Brennan, did we see enough of him to make a judgement? I remember he had one really good season, then he was off

Brennan was off on the back of that really good season. He caught the eye of several clubs. 

Anyone remember scouser John Bailey and Scotsman Stuart Munro?  - the one with perm. 

Archived