IGNORED

Squad size......

Tipps69

Bryan proved he can be effective as a CM, also think Burns is wasted on the wings. We need cover for LB, also Vyner is a CB, he stepped in when asked as we had no one to play RB - is he going to be coached into that role now ? Not sure, but maybe whoever we get in to cover CB should be flexible enough to play RB.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Osbourne.  Guess club will be looking to offload him, El Abd, and Wagstaff - possibly Agard as well.  Wilbraham looks a likely candidate to to go.  From what SL said yesterday unlikely Baker will come, and would we want Pearce ? Hope we pull stops out to keep Tomlin. 

It's to be a difficult task for MA, Burt, and Lee to sort all this out before next season

Of course if we are relegated different thinking may be needed re Agard, El Abd, Osbourne, Wagstaff ; plus if relegated we may have to replace Bryan, Smith and Kodjia.  

Exciting times indeed

55 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned Osbourne.  Guess club will be looking to offload him, El Abd, and Wagstaff - possibly Agard as well.  Wilbraham looks a likely candidate to to go.  From what SL said yesterday unlikely Baker will come, and would we want Pearce ? Hope we pull stops out to keep Tomlin. 

It's to be a difficult task for MA, Burt, and Lee to sort all this out before next season

Of course if we are relegated different thinking may be needed re Agard, El Abd, Osbourne, Wagstaff ; plus if relegated we may have to replace Bryan, Smith and Kodjia.  

Exciting times indeed

I would say it's a given that Osbourne will be gone, hence the reason why he was sent out on a season long loan to AFC Wimbledon & dependant on when El Abd's contract is up he'll be gone unless he has another year left, then we may struggle to get rid of him!!

But it's not just a case of replacing what we might be able to get rid of, the squad isn't big enough & hasn't been all season, so we need more depth to it & that has to be of a decent standard, not just players to fill gaps, they have to be able to step up to the mark when required!

We need to stop allowing players to come here & have a free ride on very good wages!!

does anyone know how much (more £'s) we'll get as a championship club next season compared to this? I'm wondering how this'll work out for us AFTER we have stayed up , fingers x'd. as the 20th and last prem club will be getting something like £120m.  

We should have some reasonable shout at getting some solid players NOT marquee signings, we need solid rather than spectacular. Maybe in season 17/18 after a comfortable mid table finish we might look for a marquee signing or 2 to push on.

I also hope that Tomlin fancies staying as he has the Xfactor that Trundle had when we were so close at Wembley, you need to be unpredictable.

5 signings.

A centre back to play with Flint that's fairly comfortable with the ball, Curtis Nelson, Alfie Mawson or John Egan. 

A midfielder that can be cover/rotation for Smith and Pack, Jordan Cousins or Alex Gilbey. 

2 attacking midfielders that can score goals, preferably one that can play wide. Bradley Dack, Kemar Roofe. Maybe Hourihane. Any other suggestions? 

Finally, and a big one. A striker that can come on or play with Kodjia that will actually score goals. Can't think of who I'd want though. Winnall and Bradshaw look good but I think someone will appear over the summer who will look more enticing. 

29 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

5 signings.

A centre back to play with Flint that's fairly comfortable with the ball, Curtis Nelson, Alfie Mawson or John Egan. 

A midfielder that can be cover/rotation for Smith and Pack, Jordan Cousins or Alex Gilbey. 

2 attacking midfielders that can score goals, preferably one that can play wide. Bradley Dack, Kemar Roofe. Maybe Hourihane. Any other suggestions? 

Finally, and a big one. A striker that can come on or play with Kodjia that will actually score goals. Can't think of who I'd want though. Winnall and Bradshaw look good but I think someone will appear over the summer who will look more enticing. 

Hal Robson-Kanu? Not the most prolific, I know but he is a decent versatile player who would probably get a few assists as well. I would have thought that he would be available too from Reading.

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

5 signings.

I would expect to see maybe one or two to come in from our French & Spanish scouts, better value for money!!

32 minutes ago, Kodjia said:

Hal Robson-Kanu? Not the most prolific, I know but he is a decent versatile player who would probably get a few assists as well. I would have thought that he would be available too from Reading.

Think I heard his contracts up as well at the end of this season & on that basis I have wondered about him.

27 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I mentioned Ashley Barnes earlier in the thread. He`s been out with a broken leg all season but can see him being surplus to requirements if Burnley go up. Local boy too.

Maybe a gamble the club wouldn't be willing to take, I would guess he's on an okay wage at Burnley plus the broken leg factor........

Equals a bit of a risk that I think the club maybe trying to get away from.

Hoping to get players in that will have a sell on value........

We're bottom of the league!

Chart below shows club order in terms of squad size (Charlton biggest squad with 32 and 15 players of those that are out of contract this summer).

Also shows is the total market value of those players out of contract at each club.

Seven shown against City are Tomlin, Baker, Pearce, Gladwin (gone), Williams, Wagstaff and Wilbraham, so most of that must be Tomlin and Baker's value i would guess.

56d4a1eb5256c_squadsizesandeocplayes.png

17 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Maybe a gamble the club wouldn't be willing to take, I would guess he's on an okay wage at Burnley plus the broken leg factor........

Equals a bit of a risk that I think the club maybe trying to get away from.

Hoping to get players in that will have a sell on value........

Might be worth a half season/full season loan though subject to medicals of course with them paying some of his wages. Not sure what contract he`s got though - he might be out in the summer for all I know.

On 26 February 2016 at 20:15, Nomad said:

I was right with you until I saw Luke Freeman. If you really think he is one of our best players I despair. Very lucky to be getting in the side IMHO. Still living off his good form in League one last season.

Not been to a game since January then

14 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Indeed I have. Sure he has been better since Jan but still very overrated by the happy clappers like you.

I'm no happy clapper, one of the few begging for him to be rested until recently. I just don't understand how he's lucky, can't pick Reid over him on current form, not in a million miles.

1 hour ago, Griffin said:

I'm no happy clapper, one of the few begging for him to be rested until recently. I just don't understand how he's lucky, can't pick Reid over him on current form, not in a million miles.

I agree with this. There's no way we can drop Freeman when he's one of the only players we have that can take someone on and beat a man. It's no fluke that he's regularly picked out by opposition fans as someone they'd like in their team and someone who caused their team trouble.

When Freeman over thinks things, he doesn't release the ball quick enough and can be incredibly frustrating to watch. When he's taking a man on and whipping a ball into the box without over thinking, he's brilliant. There's no way Bobby Reid offers the same things Freeman can. In fact, like I said I don't think there's many others in our squad who can offer the same as Freeman.

If I were playing against us, I would dread facing Freeman due to his speed, agility and quick feet, and would be delighted if I had to face Reid instead of him.

If he wasn't excellent at corners he wouldn't be in my team. 

6 minutes ago, WsM-Red said:

There's no way we can drop Freeman when he's one of the only players we have that can take someone on and beat a man. 

Reid, Tomlin, Bryan, Little, Ayling, Smith and Kodjia all take on people and beat them. Freeman is always busy and gets a lot of the ball. However he rarely finds a good pass or tests a keeper. Zero open play assists is shocking as is 1 deflected goal. 

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

If he wasn't excellent at corners he wouldn't be in my team. 

Reid, Tomlin, Bryan, Little, Ayling, Smith and Kodjia all take on people and beat them. Freeman is always busy and gets a lot of the ball. However he rarely finds a good pass or tests a keeper. Zero open play assists is shocking as is 1 deflected goal. 

Reid isn't in the same bracket as Freeman in terms of quality, don't think he could beat 2 or 3 at the pace Freeman does and whip a ball in.

Tomlin could play there and as we know he is capable of beating a man but I think he's better behind Kodjia or in a free role.

I should've stated only player in that position as Little, Ayling, Smith and Kodjia all play in a different position to Freeman so wouldn't replace him there.

That leaves Bryan who has looked very confident recently and certainly starting to step up his game. I still don't think he's the same sort of player as Freeman in terms of his skill, flair and footwork but I think he would be the closest to challenging Freeman for his place.

However, if we are playing 4-2-3-1 I would like to see Bryan on the left with Freeman on the right and Tomlin just behind.

Out of interest if he wouldn't be in your team, who would? And would you stick to LJ's 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 or play something different?

10 minutes ago, WsM-Red said:

Reid isn't in the same bracket as Freeman in terms of quality, don't think he could beat 2 or 3 at the pace Freeman does and whip a ball in.

But like I've said Freeman hasn't got a single assist from open play? So he clearly hasn't beaten 2 or 3 and whipped a ball in. Reid doesn't play to beat players, he sees the pass and gives it early. He helped to create loads of chances on Saturday by doing just that. His simplistic approach is something under appreciated I feel. He's helped to create some massive goals and would've helped create another on saturday if Freeman didn't miss a sitter

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

But like I've said Freeman hasn't got a single assist from open play? So he clearly hasn't beaten 2 or 3 and whipped a ball in. Reid doesn't play to beat players, he sees the pass and gives it early. He helped to create loads of chances on Saturday by doing just that. His simplistic approach is something under appreciated I feel. He's helped to create some massive goals and would've helped create another on saturday if Freeman didn't miss a sitter

Just because he hasn't got an assist doesn't mean he's not crossed the ball this season. I think he has beaten 2 or 3 and whipped a ball in a number of times this season, it just hasn't been finished by strikers. A few from Wilbs and Agard spring to mind. I admit he is infuriating to watch sometimes as he beats 2 or 3 then doesn't pass/release when he should and finds himself closed down or having to beat the players again. However, I don't think anyone deserves to start in his position over him.

I agree completely with what you say about Reid not playing to beat players. This is because he plays in a different position to Freeman.

So who would you drop Freeman for and play in his position instead of him?

5 minutes ago, WsM-Red said:

Just because he hasn't got an assist doesn't mean he's not crossed the ball this season. I think he has beaten 2 or 3 and whipped a ball in a number of times this season, it just hasn't been finished by strikers. A few from Wilbs and Agard spring to mind. I admit he is infuriating to watch sometimes as he beats 2 or 3 then doesn't pass/release when he should and finds himself closed down or having to beat the players again. However, I don't think anyone deserves to start in his position over him.

I agree completely with what you say about Reid not playing to beat players. This is because he plays in a different position to Freeman.

So who would you drop Freeman for and play in his position instead of him?

In the final third I just think Reid sees the passes and actually knows when it's the right time to play the ball.
I don't think they're different because they play in a different position because when Freeman was playing behind the strikers he still tried to beat players all the time and rarely played the early pass. If someone else was whipping in these corners then Freeman would not be in my team, probably for Reid just so he can rotate with Tomlin and also Reid and Bryan have some killer link up play going. But because we aren't scoring that many set pieces are key and Freeman's delivery has got a lot better. In the summer attacking midfielders will be needed to come in considering Tomlin will leave. Dack and Roofe should both be enquired about

On 27 février 2016 at 14:07, Tipps69 said:

But my point being is that I'd expect us to try & get a squad of the standard of the players I stated previously & those players being permanent signings, which would mean replacing Wagstaff, Wilbraham, Agard, Reid, Burns, Little, Williams, El Abd & then the loan signings of Baker & Tomlin (am I missing any other loan signings?)

So that in theory would mean a possible 10 new players & that may well be dependant on us being able to move those players out first & if that's possible, I don't think we will be looking at making the "marquee" signings of a Grey or Gayle but of a more low key player / fee that will enable us to up the standard / quality of the squad to our higher quality players so that the quality of the squad will have been raised on this season, allowing us to swap players over on a match day without significantly dropping the quality of our starting 11, which can't be said for our current squad / team.

You're making a " school

boy error " by not adding in the U 21's who will be given their chance to step up .

The likes of Vyner , Morrell , McCoulsky ? I am sure will be involved at some stage or another as LJ looks to bring through younger players .

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

You're making a " school

boy error " by not adding in the U 21's who will be given their chance to step up .

The likes of Vyner , Morrell , McCoulsky ? I am sure will be involved at some stage or another as LJ looks to bring through younger players .

Maybe but I would still expect the likes of SL, JL, KB & MA to be fully aware of the mess made of last summer & the fact that that left us short of quality in the depth of the squad!

If any of the U21's or younger players happen to come through then that will be a huge bonus but I honestly believe that unless any of those players make huge strides from now until the end of the season then they won't be considered for a place in the senior squad!

I believe all those "big wigs" will be aware that we need stronger cover to fill out the squad, an injury to a CB, CM or ST & we are struggling for adequate cover!!

Along with no proper RM/RW, let alone adequate cover should Freeman (who isn't a RM/RW) & we are struggling.

We have by far the smallest squad in the league but we have been fairly lucky with injuries & suspensions & I fear that that won't continue, especially if players are expected to play 2 / 3 games a week  along with the odd niggling injury that is bound to crop up.

We need to be able to rest players & allow such injuries to heal properly before they are required / expected to play another 10-20 games without the necessary recouperation period.

As a club we will struggle to progress on the pitch if we are expecting 46 games to be played by less than 20 players of an adequate standard!!

Archived