IGNORED

On their way

Ashtonwurzel

7 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

Williams is a must keep. He is still young but a good left sided centre back and one that will get better. Yes baker and Pearce are better but we have only brought them in to steady the rot and keep our league status. Williams is longer term and people shouldn't be so quick to dismiss him

No evidence yet that Pearce is better, though I agree that Williams is, as you say, a must keep.

Flint aside the only other central defender we have under contract for next season is El-Abd and it is obvious that he has no future here, meaning that even if we bring in two new defenders we need to retain Williams as well.

Let's not forget Derrick Williams has only just turned 23.  He's a good 4 or 5 years from his peak and I certainly wouldn't write him off yet.  Even if he ultimately moves on for first-team football (which I don't think he will in the summer) I still reckon he'll ultimately be a regular in the Championship in the future.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

No evidence yet that Pearce is better, though I agree that Williams is, as you say, a must keep.

Flint aside the only other central defender we have under contract for next season is El-Abd and it is obvious that he has no future here, meaning that even if we bring in two new defenders we need to retain Williams as well.

So far Pearce has played 180 minutes for us, and in that time we've conceded 5 goals.

Now, clearly not saying he's the reason or that he's not good, but to rate him above the younger Williams on the basis of that seems presumptuous. 

I don't think Williams has done much wrong; I hope he gets his chance to show what he can do in the run in.

25 minutes ago, samo II said:

So far Pearce has played 180 minutes for us, and in that time we've conceded 5 goals.

Now, clearly not saying he's the reason or that he's not good, but to rate him above the younger Williams on the basis of that seems presumptuous. 

I don't think Williams has done much wrong; I hope he gets his chance to show what he can do in the run in.

I don't even think he did too bad at Wing-Back....I think most of us thought he would be well out of position there!  Admittedly, not as expensive as Bryan in that role, but still got one at Brighton, and crossed for Wilbs v Forest.

in my opinion, he is a fighter, who has got better, and will continue to do so.  Central defenders probably peak in late 20s.  Plus as many of you are saying, safe cover at LB for me.  A keeper for me (not in the GK sense).

9 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Anyone know of the contract status of some of our "fringe" players ?

Who is likely to leave/be let go ?

Williams

El Abd (surely)

Wagstaff

Wilbraham

Osbourne (status ?)

Agard (to be sold)

I'd like to see Wagstaff get a full pre season under his belt and be given a chance to show what he can do. I think he'd be a great squad player without breaking the bank. If it doesn't work out we can loan him until January. 

For those wanting to give some of the squad players listed in the op I'm sure LJ will give them a chance . My thoughts on those players are;

Reid- the next few months are  make or break for him ,he  appears to have a better chance under LJ. I think most of us know he has the ability but keeping this up for then 45/60 minutes is his main problem.  Interesting to see LJ play Reid in Am rather then in a central 2 against Forest.  So maybe seen as  plan b but can Reid afford not to play regular footy at his age ?

Wagstaff- great Endeavour and a useful squad player but wouldn't be surprised to see him leave for regular football 

Williams- unless he was getting his fitness back ? I find it strange that he didn't start against Brighton seeing as he is a natural left cb and instead Pearce start .

Osbourne- I don't know why but I had a feeling he was out of contract this summer ? 

3 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Osbourne- I don't know why but I had a feeling he was out of contract this summer ? 

I'm sure he is as when he was loaned out to AFC Wimbledon it was mentioned that it was due to his contract being up it was probably the last we had seen of him (or words to that affect).

I'd hope we wouldn't consider letting anyone who's been near the first team leave without replacements lined up. 

Those OOC are going to want to know fairly early on, and I assume prior to the season end whether they're going to be offered a new contract or not. If nothing more, it'll decide whether it's Barbados or Benidorm this summer.

This is why the run in and maintaining our current momentum is so important. We will have to have (realistic) replacements identified and what better way to lure them in than a strong finish. 

We cannot afford to let players go before we know who is definitely coming in. And for the reasons above, sorting this out must surely already be in motion?

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don't even think he did too bad at Wing-Back....I think most of us thought he would be well out of position there!  Admittedly, not as expensive as Bryan in that role, but still got one at Brighton, and crossed for Wilbs v Forest.

in my opinion, he is a fighter, who has got better, and will continue to do so.  Central defenders probably peak in late 20s.  Plus as many of you are saying, safe cover at LB for me.  A keeper for me (not in the GK sense).

Why, how much was Bryan is that role?

40 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Baker, Pearce, Bryan and Goldbourne.

Bryan and Golbourne aren't centre backs.

Without Baker and Pearce, and with Osborne and El Abd out on loan, Flint only has Williams to partner him.

14 hours ago, Kodjia said:

tbh I think Fielding and Agard will stay but I hope that we do offload as many players who aren't in LJ's plans as possible this window

I would imagine the club will wait until they are absolutely certain they don't have replacements before offloading players. :facepalm:  :grr:

19 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

At the end of day Williams is not good enough. But yes, short if the loans go home.

I don't agree that he is not good enough.

He struggled at this level at the start of the season, but so did all the defence.

He was then played at wing back, not his natural role, and IMO was reasonable.

He's still young, still learning, and I think could still have a useful future here, albeit as a squad player.

He hasn't really played at this level in a back four either as centre back or left back.

3 hours ago, Chivs said:

I would imagine the club will wait until they are absolutely certain they don't have replacements before offloading players. :facepalm:  :grr:

This is a good thing to do, I think. If they keep on releasing their players without replacements, the club will surely disappear in no time. :blink:

9 hours ago, deadredfred said:

I'd hope we wouldn't consider letting anyone who's been near the first team leave without replacements lined up. 

Those OOC are going to want to know fairly early on, and I assume prior to the season end whether they're going to be offered a new contract or not. If nothing more, it'll decide whether it's Barbados or Benidorm this summer.

This is why the run in and maintaining our current momentum is so important. We will have to have (realistic) replacements identified and what better way to lure them in than a strong finish. 

We cannot afford to let players go before we know who is definitely coming in. And for the reasons above, sorting this out must surely already be in motion?

Totally agree with this. After the shambles of the summer transfer window, and to an extent the January one as well I would be more inclined to have replacements signed before we let ANYONE go this summer, bar El Abd. 

We've only managed to sign 3 First Team players permanently in the last 2 transfer windows. O'Donnell, Golbourne and Kodjia. 

We have purely relied on a bare bones spine of a squad with decent loan players supplementing them to get out of the position we were in earlier in the season. We need to start developing a team of our own players so we can push on up the table rather than relying on these loans especially as soon their loans are up, the good players seem to get snapped up by our rivals.

On 29/02/2016 at 19:28, Redtucks said:

He's only down the pecking order because we've got Baker and Pearce on loan.

What about when their loans finish???

I would like to think we'll bring in someone of Bakers quality at least, if we don't our goal difference will probably look just as bad next year.

Archived