IGNORED

Anglo Scottish Cup

Ashtonwurzel

59 minutes ago, 22A said:

Expanding this thread; how many cups have City competed in? I can think of nine; anyone know of any more?

FA Cup, League Cup, JPT, Welsh, Anglo-Scottish, Anglo Italian, Gloucester,  Watney and Friendship.

For you younger Forum Members; the Friendship Cup was played H & A between City and Bordeaux.                                                                                            The Watney Cup was a preseason tournament. The two top scoring teams from each of the four divisions who had not won promotion played a knockout competition over 8 days. As replays were impossible, the penalty shoot out was introduced.                                                                                                                              City stopped playing in the Welsh Cup when the Welsh FA decided the winners would only be permitted to play in Europe if they were Welsh. In the late 80s the Final was between Shrewsbury & Hereford, so one of the beaten semi finalists was put forward for the Cup Winners Cup (now part of the Europa League).

Blackthorn Cup v Rangers couple of years ago.

Ah - The Anglo-Scottish Cup Final. I remember it well. It was a mid-week game. Ended up in the Supporters Bar drinking from the Cup with all the players and getting home in the early hours. Blurry-eyed day at work the next day but was a great night!

2 minutes ago, southside said:

You're wrong mate,  definitely Texaco Cup,  we won the Anglo Scottish in '77

Not sure why you keep saying 'we won the Anglo scottish in '77' - your earlier post said we played Chelsea in the Texaco cup in 75/76 and I merely pointed out that we played Chelsea in the Anglo Scottish cup not the Texaco cup, which had ceased to be in existence by 75/76....

According to my book of knowledge,

1977-78 we won the Anglo Scottish, 1975-76 we lost 1-0 in an Anglo Scottish cup group game to Chelsea.

13 hours ago, 22A said:

Expanding this thread; how many cups have City competed in? I can think of nine; anyone know of any more?

FA Cup, League Cup, JPT, Welsh, Anglo-Scottish, Anglo Italian, Gloucester,  Watney and Friendship.

For you younger Forum Members; the Friendship Cup was played H & A between City and Bordeaux.                                                                                            The Watney Cup was a preseason tournament. The two top scoring teams from each of the four divisions who had not won promotion played a knockout competition over 8 days. As replays were impossible, the penalty shoot out was introduced.                                                                                                                              City stopped playing in the Welsh Cup when the Welsh FA decided the winners would only be permitted to play in Europe if they were Welsh. In the late 80s the Final was between Shrewsbury & Hereford, so one of the beaten semi finalists was put forward for the Cup Winners Cup (now part of the Europa League).

International Fayre cup , which we won in 78-79 , one game Vs Vojuodina (a) 3-1

Div 3 South cup , finalists in 37-38

Amateur cup , as Bristol South End (a stretch I know).

3 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I remember us beating Juventus 2-1 at the gate, I think we weren't in the Anglo-Italian that year but they had to play Swindle so used us as a warm-up match. I remember Juve having a few fans down and there was a good bit of banter.

May 1970....every Italian waiter in Bristol was there!

On 2/29/2016 at 10:56, Ashtonwurzel said:

Anyone else go to any of these games in the late 70's/early 80's ?

I saw St Mirren and Morton down at the Gate.

16,000 as I remember it for the second leg. The only time before last season that I saw us lift a trophy at AG!

Remember the team trotting around the ground with it!

On 3/1/2016 at 21:49, BCFC1959 said:

Ah - The Anglo-Scottish Cup Final. I remember it well. It was a mid-week game. Ended up in the Supporters Bar drinking from the Cup with all the players and getting home in the early hours. Blurry-eyed day at work the next day but was a great night!

It certainly was a midweek game, as was the first leg in Paisley.

I have mentioned in an earlier thread how we (a 5-strong carload) were given an extremely warm welcome in the St Mirren Supporters Club, free drinks and snacks both before and after the match - forbidden to buy a drink ourselves, yet struggled to get entry to our Supporters Club bar for a half-dozen or so of our new-found Scottish friends as they weren't members. 

Finally, common sense prevailed and, as you say, a fine night was enjoyed by all.

Archived