IGNORED

Anglo Scottish Cup

Ashtonwurzel

1 hour ago, Palmers Green Red said:

I remember seeing us playing Partick Thistle ... think it was about 1978?

That was embarrassing. Two dozen Jags fans came down in a 'plane. City were winning 2-0 and at one stage all you could hear was "Bristol, Bristol give us a song"!

THE game of the Anglo Scottish had to be that battle in Edinburgh where City had two sent off v Hibbs, but we won on aggregate.

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The mighty Jags!

You are so close! We played them in 1977 and 1979 in that competition!

One Thistle fan came down for the first game and never went back!

So close, my only excuse was my age ... was a young nipper and remember that was the first (and only) time I ever went in the Dolman and was gobsmacked by the view - was only ever used to peaking over the EE wall! 

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I can remember us lifting the trophy in the williams (grandstand) but nothing of the game against St mirren, i was only 6 though. 

I remember being slightly bored in the open end that night.

As for the Anglo Italian, it did mean I got to see City in Europe :P

9 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Going back to the Italian Cup, did we draw a game 2-2 on a weekday afternoon? I remember my maths teacher taunting me that we were losing 2-1.

City drew 1-1 at Luton in the Anglo Italian Cup and progressed to the next stage where they would play two Italian clubs at home and another pair away. The first three of these games were defeats and the fourth was drawn. This was at Cremenese on a wet windswept midweek afternoon. Despite a contingent going from Bristol, the attendance was a mere 535 spectators! Cremenese went on to win the competition and brought over 1,000 fans to England for the final.

Expanding this thread; how many cups have City competed in? I can think of nine; anyone know of any more?

FA Cup, League Cup, JPT, Welsh, Anglo-Scottish, Anglo Italian, Gloucester,  Watney and Friendship.

For you younger Forum Members; the Friendship Cup was played H & A between City and Bordeaux.                                                                                            The Watney Cup was a preseason tournament. The two top scoring teams from each of the four divisions who had not won promotion played a knockout competition over 8 days. As replays were impossible, the penalty shoot out was introduced.                                                                                                                              City stopped playing in the Welsh Cup when the Welsh FA decided the winners would only be permitted to play in Europe if they were Welsh. In the late 80s the Final was between Shrewsbury & Hereford, so one of the beaten semi finalists was put forward for the Cup Winners Cup (now part of the Europa League).

Archived