IGNORED

Next Season

INCRED

So assuming we are safe and stay up.

Brighton were virtually in the same position as us last season and fighting off relegation. They brought in half a dozen new players in the summer and added some more in January.

Could we aspire to do the same and challenge the top 6 next Season?

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

So assuming we are safe and stay up.

Brighton were virtually in the same position as us last season and fighting off relegation. They brought in half a dozen new players in the summer and added some more in January.

Could we aspire to do the same and challenge the top 6 next Season?

Please don't, there are still 12 games to play!

Well you would like to think so but that's asking a bit too much I think. Some big clubs will be coming down and some big clubs will be staying in our division. I think we need to definately add and hope we do it via the foreign route some again. Though I think our aim should be to push on and try for mid table. Of course we should always be pushing to finish as high as we can but I don't think we should be expecting a promotion push next season, despite what anyone at the club or owning the club says. If we added a few fresh faces and finished top 12, then it would be a success in my opinion. 

Next season I'd imagine staying in the division will again (sadly) be the objective, no doubt we will try and push on to higher in the division but as others have said with big teams likely to come down (could well be the current 3 of Villa, Sunderland and Newcastle) and the longer we stay in the division the bigger we can grow, I think we will be looking at a gradual process up the league unless we can some how do a Bournemouth in terms of second season success, but after next season we'd have lost any momentum from last season.

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

Next season I'd imagine staying in the division will again (sadly) be the objective, no doubt we will try and push on to higher in the division but as others have said with big teams likely to come down (could well be the current 3 of Villa, Sunderland and Newcastle) and the longer we stay in the division the bigger we can grow, I think we will be looking at a gradual process up the league unless we can some how do a Bournemouth in terms of second season success, but after next season we'd have lost any momentum from last season.

Momentum? What's that?

I think with some good recruitment in the summer and ideally a strong end to the season, I think we could aim for mid table next season. 

Of course I'd hope for more, but I think this is realistically achievable. I'm happy to see progress in whatever form, as long as we've learnt lessons. Going on latest  form tables, even with our current squad we're top 4 or 5. Shows what we are capable of. 

I'd love for us to mount a serious challenge for top half/playoffs. If we could 'do a Brighton' (as it were) then all the better. As the OP says and as we've all seen throughout the season, this league is decided by fine margins. Some tuning here and there could make all the difference. 

Next season? 

Assuming we stay in the Championship then the summer will be a real test for LJ. He'll no doubt want to strengthen but will he tow Lansdowns line and rely on poaching the better players from the lower leagues and use academy players that are good enough to make the step up or will he try to sign established players with a decent pedigree?

Obviously the latter option will cost serious money..... One thing for sure though is that next summer will be a very interesting time.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Next season? 

Assuming we stay in the Championship then the summer will be a real test for LJ. He'll no doubt want to strengthen but will he tow Lansdowns line and rely on poaching the better players from the lower leagues and use academy players that are good enough to make the step up or will he try to sign established players with a decent pedigree?

Obviously the latter option will cost serious money..... One thing for sure though is that next summer will be a very interesting time.

Personally I hope for a mix of the both. 

Archived