IGNORED

WiFi Trial

Mkelly

Dear all

Please see a message below.

Ashton Gate are urging Bristol City fans to trial a free supporter WiFi service in the South Stand concourse at on Saturday.

We have installed a proof-of-concept WiFi deployment and need supporters to test the service with a packed stadium for the home game with Cardiff.

Fans simply need to search “Ashton Gate Fan WiFi” on their mobile device or tablet and connect for free via a simple holding page. Fans who connect this weekend will be entered into a draw to win a copy of Fifa 16 on Xbox One or PS4 or a Bristol Rugby home shirt.

This is part of an ongoing process to select a WiFi provider for the Ashton Gate and will help us understand the type of internet speeds available and the stability of the connection – whether it will stand up to a busy South Stand concourse on a matchday.

Please provide feedback to @Bristol_Sport on Twitter or by e-mailing hello@bristol-sport.co.uk.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

When you trial this at the rugby, will fans be entered in to a draw to win a football shirt?

Oddly I found this wi-fi whilst at the rugby weeks ago. I was just playing around with my phone and saw it and connected as easy as anything. I don't know if it was advertised as I didn't hear any tannoy announcements and don't buy a rugby programme. I'm in the SS for rugby games and the Dolman for footie, it only worked in the SS, I just put it down to a much smaller crowd, didn't realise it was stand specific.

What will be interesting is this:

After determining the provider of choice, will the wifi be free?
Will users be forced to endure SPAM/adversing/etc.?
Will user details be sold to marketing companies?
Etc.

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, I'll stick with my 4G/3G/GPRS/two cans and a piece of string.

I'm pretty sure SL has a company/is involved with a company who puts Wifi in football/sports stadiums. From how it's worded above this seems to indicate it's something we are learning not something the club (SL) has knowledge about.

31 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm pretty sure SL has a company/is involved with a company who puts Wifi in football/sports stadiums. From how it's worded above this seems to indicate it's something we are learning not something the club (SL) has knowledge about.

I think he has connections with a company, I seem to remember reading something last year, but the tech for a stadium may still be newish.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Oddly I found this wi-fi whilst at the rugby weeks ago. I was just playing around with my phone and saw it and connected as easy as anything. I don't know if it was advertised as I didn't hear any tannoy announcements and don't buy a rugby programme. I'm in the SS for rugby games and the Dolman for footie, it only worked in the SS, I just put it down to a much smaller crowd, didn't realise it was stand specific.

A mate mentioned the wifi in the pub before the Brighton game. My ST is in the Dolman and while 2 mates logged in I couldn't , it being for the SS explains why ! Did get the log in page come up just as I gave up .

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Norman Hunter us going to system administrator.

#Hacker

Ron Harris as his assistant no doubt.

The 70s were a hackers paradise.

26 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I wouldn't do your on-line banking on this, there won't be any security and it will be a hacker's paradise.

If anyone is doing their online banking during the match might I suggest football might not be the sport for them?

At least with WiFi though it will be easier to check the City score during the game.... 

23 minutes ago, StGeorge said:

Please explain

Hackers have apps to scan other users on the same wi-fi network if it's unsecured (ie no password or the same password for everyone), basically they can see what you're doing. This doesn't apply when you're at home on a secured (hopefully) router or when you're using your phone's data signal. On public wi-fi though they can see everything, so it's best not to do anything which involves entering a password for example. Usually these people frequent places like coffee shops but at a football ground they have far more people to choose from, many of whom don't realise how easy it is to be hacked.

4 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Hackers have apps to scan other users on the same wi-fi network if it's unsecured (ie no password or the same password for everyone), basically they can see what you're doing. This doesn't apply when you're at home on a secured (hopefully) router or when you're using your phone's data signal. On public wi-fi though they can see everything, so it's best not to do anything which involves entering a password for example. Usually these people frequent places like coffee shops but at a football ground they have far more people to choose from, many of whom don't realise how easy it is to be hacked.

So you don't think that your online banking session, might be at a push, encryted at the banks end?

Thanks

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Hackers have apps to scan other users on the same wi-fi network if it's unsecured (ie no password or the same password for everyone), basically they can see what you're doing. 

Thanks @ashton_fan - my wife has just found pages from Hotchud.com and BigWhoppers.com open on my computer screen. Luckily I was able to explain I had just accidentally hacked into next door's wifi and it was nothing to do with me.

He is 93 and registered blind but I think she fell for it. 

Thank goodness for the OTIB community.

12 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

What will be interesting is this:

After determining the provider of choice, will the wifi be free?
Will users be forced to endure SPAM/adversing/etc.?
Will user details be sold to marketing companies?
Etc.

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, I'll stick with my 4G/3G/GPRS/two cans and a piece of string.

So you've got rid of the pigeon then???       :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

There is not enough room here to explain this so I'll try to keep this simple (I'm talking generally and no doubt it won't cover all the basis - it's not advice)

You have over the air encryption on WiFi e.g. WEP (broken now and very unlikely to be used), WPA etc. or it's completely open - I'd be surprised if BCFC allow an unencrypted connection over the air because any man and dog will be able to connect/monitor/etc. and it would allow people to do what they like (just use your imagination - it is unlikely that BCFC would like their wifi misused because they might become liable for any misuse).

I am ignoring Man In the Middle attacks.

Then in the general case, you have application encryption e.g. SSL/TLS. As long as the company who've developed the application isn't a complete muppet, your logon session will be encrypted so hackers can sniff as much traffic as they like, passwords are safe (talking generally). If the application then falls back to unencrypted traffic, what you are up to 'can' be sniffed/viewed/etc. with the right tools. Banking application connections tend to stay encrypted even after authentication so decrypting your activity is difficult (you just keep an eye out for the padlock, for warning messages, etc.). I don't use Twitter or farce book so I can't tell you if these applications are encrypted after logon? As with anything, you just need a general awareness of how things work to keep yourself safe on the Internet. If you are an idiot, you are vulnerable.

Generally, the biggest problem with computer security is the person. They ignore the warnings ('The certificate is not correct/doesn't make any sense/'Click here if you're an idiot'/etc.), they download the picture of the pretty kitten doing the funny thing, they don't use AV on Windows systems (Mac/*nix users, we can say we don't need it, but the vulnerability is still there), they give their passwords away for a chocolate bar, they fall for scams, ignorance or complete idiocy/don't care attitude.

I don't know what BCFC has in mind, but I expect it to be an 'Enterprise' solution. If it's not, you can make your own decisions - I won't be using it (and I won't use it if they make it difficult and put alsorts of advertising/conditions etc. in the way).

If you use an application that is not encrypting your activity at all (including authentication), then some people believe you are free game. An unencrypted application solution is generally low value but the problem is, people tend to use the same userid and password for all of their apps. Example problem: You use your email address and a password (that you use on all of your applications). Person sniffs this traffic, tries your email with the same password. You are well and truly knackered.

I'll not get bogged down with the 'experts' on this forum (my comment is as is, it's not advice). If you want advice, seek out an expert and not someone on an Internet forum - see 'generally' comment above. If you want to accept the forum 'expert' advice, fill your boots along with any consequences.

3 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Wifi trial ?

As a bit of a luddite  is it anything like a Sheep Dog Trial - I use to quite enjoy that on the telly and it use to keep our Boarder Collie quiet for ages

No, that's a woofie trial :facepalm:

I thought I would provide details of my experience today as this is a trail. 

This is is by no means a moan as I fully understand te club are trying to improve the match day experience for all.

It took me 5 times to log in to wifi as it wouldn't connect and when I did the performance was very poor.

I had a far quicker connection using 4G on the mobile.

In my opinion, a number of  upgrades required for this to be used by the masses.

On 2 March 2016 at 12:58, bcfcfinker said:

There is not enough room here to explain this so I'll try to keep this simple (I'm talking generally and no doubt it won't cover all the basis - it's not advice)

You have over the air encryption on WiFi e.g. WEP (broken now and very unlikely to be used), WPA etc. or it's completely open - I'd be surprised if BCFC allow an unencrypted connection over the air because any man and dog will be able to connect/monitor/etc. and it would allow people to do what they like (just use your imagination - it is unlikely that BCFC would like their wifi misused because they might become liable for any misuse).

I am ignoring Man In the Middle attacks.

Then in the general case, you have application encryption e.g. SSL/TLS. As long as the company who've developed the application isn't a complete muppet, your logon session will be encrypted so hackers can sniff as much traffic as they like, passwords are safe (talking generally). If the application then falls back to unencrypted traffic, what you are up to 'can' be sniffed/viewed/etc. with the right tools. Banking application connections tend to stay encrypted even after authentication so decrypting your activity is difficult (you just keep an eye out for the padlock, for warning messages, etc.). I don't use Twitter or farce book so I can't tell you if these applications are encrypted after logon? As with anything, you just need a general awareness of how things work to keep yourself safe on the Internet. If you are an idiot, you are vulnerable.

Generally, the biggest problem with computer security is the person. They ignore the warnings ('The certificate is not correct/doesn't make any sense/'Click here if you're an idiot'/etc.), they download the picture of the pretty kitten doing the funny thing, they don't use AV on Windows systems (Mac/*nix users, we can say we don't need it, but the vulnerability is still there), they give their passwords away for a chocolate bar, they fall for scams, ignorance or complete idiocy/don't care attitude.

I don't know what BCFC has in mind, but I expect it to be an 'Enterprise' solution. If it's not, you can make your own decisions - I won't be using it (and I won't use it if they make it difficult and put alsorts of advertising/conditions etc. in the way).

If you use an application that is not encrypting your activity at all (including authentication), then some people believe you are free game. An unencrypted application solution is generally low value but the problem is, people tend to use the same userid and password for all of their apps. Example problem: You use your email address and a password (that you use on all of your applications). Person sniffs this traffic, tries your email with the same password. You are well and truly knackered.

I'll not get bogged down with the 'experts' on this forum (my comment is as is, it's not advice). If you want advice, seek out an expert and not someone on an Internet forum - see 'generally' comment above. If you want to accept the forum 'expert' advice, fill your boots along with any consequences.

Is anyone else going to wedgie this nerd? :P

Archived