IGNORED

Do football club give players relationship advice ?

Fiale

I am not sure how to really put this as I know it sounds strange, but a lot of football players have a very different childhood to others. I was wondering if the young lads in the academy etc are given lessons on relationships, what to and not to do. So many footballers seem to fall into stupid predicaments, maybe the adoration, money, and attitude you need to be a good player in front of TV and large crowds requires a certain bomb proof attitude. So many done for underage sex, group sex, affairs, caught in compromising situations, caught by gold-diggers... 

I don't think it's the clubs place to offer, unless first asked by said player, the same as any work place really,

I'm guessing this has come about because of Johnson (adam),

thankfully footballers like him are in the minority,  but it's a problem created by football in general and comes about by them leading a sheltered life like you mention,

i guess the the as the saying goes "money is the route of all evil"

if johnson wasn't a footballer he'd still have that urge regardless 

In Roy Keane's autobiography (which is a fantastic read BTW, if you haven't read it, read it) he said whilst managing Sunderland he was surprised how often he had people knocking on his office door to talk about relationship/children/gambling issues etc. 

Also, on a slightly different note, he said when he had a sports psychologist in the office opposite his, he heard people going in and out there everyday.

I think most clubs offer help and I believe managers are helped with how to deal with this on their UEFA badges??

Being surrounded by players with a lot of money, and not in the main stream schooling system, it just seems that youngsters are likely to be a lot more vulnerable to being taken advantage of or tempted to make stupid mistakes. Parents obviously have there role, but few parents will probably be able to relate to the kind of environment these lads grow up in...   but was just interested as was talking about it earlier and we were unsure if they were helped out with "worldly advice" like relationships, money/budgets/investment etc

Football clubs are now much more heavily involved with the off the field part of a footballers life.

Clubs have a significant influence on diet and use of drugs. They should, if they don't already, have an influence about the sensible use of alcohol

So I don't have any problem if the clubs also bring social behaviour, in it's widest sense, into the education of their Academy members. It makes good sense to me that all players / employees of any company or organisation with a high public profile should always present themselves in the best possible manner. 

And it is in the Club's interest for this to be so not only from a public relations viewpoint but in the case of sports clubs, the performance on the field is of paramount importance and any anti-social behaviour may interfere with this. 

Do they fall into these predicaments any more than any other group of people or are we just made aware of them because footballers have a high profile?

They have more money and spare time than most, that's true, and I'd imagine there's a greater chance of someone forming an unhealthy attachment to them due to their fame, but are they any more likely than anyone else to succumb to temptation?

Politicians are another group known for getting themselves into bother and they generally haven't got the excuse of being young and naive.

maybe football clubs can teach them how to suck eggs as well????!!! End of the day Adam Johnson Is a convicted paedophiles it doesn't matter if he's a football player or a postman. No employer should have to teach anyone its illegal to groom a 15 year old girl!

Most clubs will more than likely offer some kind of lifestyle advice/coaching, including things of what to do with their day. They only train a few hours a day which can cause things like gambling addictions trying to keep busy the rest of the day. An example I know is that near enough any welsh rugby player will be doing some kind of university course in preparation for life after sport, but also helps keep the player busy.

Life as a pro footballer means you are in a bubble of sorts, but I don't accept that they are as disconnected from the real world and basic common sense as some assume. 

Many are well travelled, bi-lingual, with experience of living and working in other cultures. Many are working in a completely different country or city to the one they grew up in. Many have been away from home from an early age and so would have to get a bit more streetwise a bit sooner.

I'm sure clubs do look after their players in every way possible but unless there are serious personal issues that affect their ability to work (I call it work, read: be a footballer) then I'm sure managers and clubs are no more involved than our managers, bosses or colleagues are in our personal lives.

Footballers and their reputations for trouble are intensified by the spotlight under which they perform. Everything is scrutinised, and it sells papers. 

I doubt most are any more inclined to cheat or commit crimes than your average Joe. But you have to consider their appeal to others - £££! I'm pretty sure if you're a footballer, then you have to make little or no effort to find people interested in you. Having people throw themselves at you is what leads to trouble. 

I was once in a club in Cardiff and met Gareth Bale not long after he'd joined Spurs. We had a quick chat but he kept himself quiet with his mate in a corner.

I also saw Peter Whittingham and Rob Earnshaw in the same club on another night. Both had wads of £50's in their pockets that they seemingly had to re-count every 42 seconds and were totally surrounded by fluff. What a pair of helmets.

its down to the individual, as it is with anyone else, footballer or not.

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

maybe football clubs can teach them how to suck eggs as well????!!! End of the day Adam Johnson Is a convicted paedophiles it doesn't matter if he's a football player or a postman. No employer should have to teach anyone its illegal to groom a 15 year old girl!

Other than the fact he is not, you're bang on.

39 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Other than the fact he is not, you're bang on.

how is he not? Hes just been found guilty and admitted to two charges and been told he will be put on sex offenders list for 10 years and has been told he will be expecting a lengthy jail sentence. I just hope he gets what's coming to him inside!

4 hours ago, Fiale said:

I am not sure how to really put this as I know it sounds strange, but a lot of football players have a very different childhood to others. I was wondering if the young lads in the academy etc are given lessons on relationships, what to and not to do. So many footballers seem to fall into stupid predicaments, maybe the adoration, money, and attitude you need to be a good player in front of TV and large crowds requires a certain bomb proof attitude. So many done for underage sex, group sex, affairs, caught in compromising situations, caught by gold-diggers... 

Bar shagging young girls plenty of my mates have got themselves in to stupid predicaments- footballers are no different to most young lads, they just got more money and time on their hands 

Tommy Docherty at Man Utd used to advise his young team on fidelity, and the sanctity of marriage. Malcolm Allison not far away at Maine Road, he advised against the temptations of the flesh, and who you should share a bath with, I believe.

David Pleat, at Tottenham, was very clear with his team that your car is for going from A-B in, especially of an evening, and not for anything else, and not to move slowly near the curb. The Gold brothers and David Sullivan, at West Ham and Birmingham, advised all their players against certain solo activities, as they might have a detrimental effect on players vision and seeing a pass, if they weren't careful. This advice was offered both pre and post the advent of the internet.

Brendan Rodgers, no doubt, was counselling young lads not to play away or get caught offside, whilst playing away and getting caught offside himself at Anfield.

Matt Busby - a good man - tried in vain to steer George Best along the straight and narrow. Brian Clough would have had a word or two to say about how his young men should be spending their evenings, for sure, although I don't think he and Justin Fashanu saw eye to eye on this. I'm not sure if Frank Worthington was listening when offered advice. I hope not.

I think SL gives our lot financial advice though. Should be okay there...

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

i guess the the as the saying goes "money is the route of all evil"

A common mis-quote. It's actually "the love of money is the route of all evil".

Without getting slated for being pedantic, I think there's quite a difference. Money can do an awful lot of good. 

Mind you, I totally agree he would have the urge regardless of his bank account balance.

The clubs have to take some responsibility in an industry they drive which pays vastly over inflated wages, pamper their players every whim in order to keep them happy - because in this game a happy player off the pitch is a happy player on the pitch. The end result is that the majority of players lose complete touch with reality and believe they are gods entitled to everything and anyone. There was a documentary on a while back which showed the behind the scenes at Man City and some of the stories of what staff/employers do to please the players and keep them happy was embarrasing - and the staff thought it was normal! So yes, I think the clubs do have to do more,  A LOT MORE to change the culture and behaviours.  End of. 

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

how is he not? Hes just been found guilty and admitted to two charges and been told he will be put on sex offenders list for 10 years and has been told he will be expecting a lengthy jail sentence. I just hope he gets what's coming to him inside!

Look up the definition/meaning of paedophilia.

Then compare paedophilia with the three (and not two) offences of which AJ has been found guilty, two of which he admitted prior to trial. 

Whatever happened to personal responsibility. If I went to my boss tomorrow and asked for relationship advice he would quite rightly tell me to **** off.

I work with a lot of graduates and there is an increasing trend of needing to spoon feed them - not just on technical issues but also common sense. What is the world coming to blah, blah, blah :grr:

Yours sincerely

Grumpy old g*t

53 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Then compare paedophilia with the three (and not two) offences of which AJ has been found guilty, two of which he admitted prior to trial. 

I can't believe you are defending 'AJ'!! Any 27 year old bloke who is sexually attracted to a 15 year old girl, and admitted he wanted a sexual relationship is a peadophile!! End of conversation

1 hour ago, reformed_red said:

A common mis-quote. It's actually "the love of money is the route of all evil".

Without getting slated for being pedantic, I think there's quite a difference. Money can do an awful lot of good.

Mind you, I totally agree he would have the urge regardless of his bank account balance.

A common mis-quote. It's actually "the love of money is the root of all evil".

Without getting slated for being pedantic, I think there's quite a difference.

:P

55 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Also he didnt admit prior to trial, it was the first day of trial to insure he could keep getting his £60,000 per wages.

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I can't believe you are defending 'AJ'!! Any 27 year old bloke who is sexually attracted to a 15 year old girl, and admitted he wanted a sexual relationship is a peadophile!! End of conversation

I can only assume you did not look up the definition/meaning of paedophilia or, if you did, you did not understand it.

AJ admitted two of the four charges on the morning of the trial, prior to the trial commencing: he was subsequently found guilty of a third charge and not guilty of the fourth.

I am not defending AJ, on the contrary, but he was not convicted of paedophilia; ergo he should not be described as a paedophile.

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I can only assume you did not look up the definition/meaning of paedophilia or, if you did, you did not understand it.

AJ admitted two of the four charges on the morning of the trial, prior to the trial commencing: he was subsequently found guilty of a third charge and not guilty of the fourth.

I am not defending AJ, on the contrary, but he was not convicted of paedophilia; ergo he should not be described as a paedophile.

Embarrassing

2 hours ago, Spoons said:

I don't think pointing out the error in your assessment of Johnson as a paedophile is the same as defending him.  Paraphrasing Dubya, it is not a case of  "Either you are with us, or you are with the ephebophiles."

Archived