IGNORED

Euros at Ashton Gate

Mkelly

Euros at Ashton Gate -   

132 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Great idea, I won't vote however because I can't commit to making it (nor am I saying no) and I'd hate to be a part of encouraging the club and yet not turning up myself. 

I much prefer a pub atmosphere personally but I was in a fan zone in Slovakia when they played Holland in 2010 and it was electric. I guess the 30 degrees and 1€ pints had something to do with it!!!

it sounds a decent idea but as someone has mentioned befor me, I wouldn't want to vote and not turn up..

1 hour ago, Mkelly said:

Dear all 

I am looking at a couple of fan zone options for the Euros with large screens etc so just testing the level of interest.  We would need over 3k punters to make it work. 

It's not all about the football I guess is the thing; you need decent pricing, food options and to make sure the message is spread far and wide. The tipis for the rugby were great, but I'm not sure anyone outside BS3 knew what was happening. As a very local resident, this kind of thing would be exactly what I want from the extended Sports Bar & Grill so, it's a yes from me. 

Good idea, needs to be marketed across all channels to get to the numbers your looking for. 

I assume the area outside the sports bar will be used to create a fan zone too? If so get hold of whoever the people were who set up the one for the Rugby World Cup in Gloucester and Cardiff this year and imitate it. 

That should get you the 3000 easy.

The things that normally stop things like this from going well, are bad pricing, bad access for transport (as most people want to drink and won't be driving - hopefully!) and lack of awareness/knowledge that the event is actually going on...

Having never tried to get to AG in anything other than a car, I don't know how easy it is from most areas of Bristol, but if it's not great then that could be an issue.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The things that normally stop things like this from going well, are bad pricing, bad access for transport (as most people want to drink and won't be driving - hopefully!) and lack of awareness/knowledge that the event is actually going on...

Having never tried to get to AG in anything other than a car, I don't know how easy it is from most areas of Bristol, but if it's not great then that could be an issue.

If it's sunny, the walk from Temple Meads is ok, and from the centre.

In a perfect world, the council/Worst Bus would run some special services but this is Bristol......

Presumably Sports Bar is open anyway and shouldn't cost anything to show it on the big screen on the South Stand, so may as well go ahead and review how it goes? It will probably only be living locally who will attend as people won't want to drive (as stated above).

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The problem with the Wales game is it's 2pm on a Thursday. The kids will be at school and most at work, although I'm sure plenty will take time off. But getting to 3k is therefore much harder.

early kick offs won't stop many thousands of people packing every bar in Bristol for that game, same with every tournament.

http://mobile.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/watch-euro-2016-at-ashton-gate-3105226.aspx

englandeuros631213-3105253_478x359.jpg

Watch England's games on the largest pub screen in the UK.

Euro 2016 kicks off in just under a month and Ashton Gate’s Sports Bar and Grill will be showing every England game live.

The Sports Bar boasts the largest pub screen in the UK and, along with the concourses, will accommodate up to 1,000 supporters for all of the matches played by Roy Hodgson’s Three Lions. 

England play Russia in their opening fixture of Group B on Saturday, June 11th (8pm), before contesting the “Battle of Britain” against Wales on Thursday, June 16th (2pm). The final group match sees them face Slovakia on Monday, June 20th (8pm). 

There will be a selection of Euro themed food and drink promotions throughout the tournament, such as five pints of Fosters for the price of three during a 90-minute match. 

General entry to the home of sport in Bristol is on a first-come, first-served basis. Season card and member discounts will be available. 

To reserve a table e-mailbristolsportsbar@bristol-sport.co.uk asap. Note: A £10 deposit will be required to secure a table, redeemable against your final bill.

12 hours ago, Red Necromancer said:

So i'm guessing the idea has been scrapped and they're just showing it in the sports bar.

Shane really, big opportunity missed if you ask me. The rugby World Cup stuff was ambitious but the sports bar had only just opened; it's now a much more obvious destination and to just have the bar/concourse open in the summer is a poor option when a really decent "experience" could've been provided. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Shane really, big opportunity missed if you ask me. The rugby World Cup stuff was ambitious but the sports bar had only just opened; it's now a much more obvious destination and to just have the bar/concourse open in the summer is a poor option when a really decent "experience" could've been provided. 

A lot of effort for 3 games.

14 hours ago, Red Necromancer said:

So i'm guessing the idea has been scrapped and they're just showing it in the sports bar.

Well, as above the article does state that "The Sports Bar boasts the largest pub screen in the UK and, along with the concourses, will accommodate up to 1,000 supporters for all of the matches played by Roy Hodgson’s Three Lions" so looks like Sports Bar and concourse.

Archived